Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FLOODLIGHTS

+7
Midsomer-steve
PHILB1973#
Midsomer-chris
Dave
pete mac
Beau Nash
SASCHA
11 posters

Go down

FLOODLIGHTS Empty FLOODLIGHTS

Post by SASCHA Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:23 pm

Just curious as to why the floodlights are on at the ground this afternoon/evening

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

FLOODLIGHTS Empty Re: FLOODLIGHTS

Post by Beau Nash Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:44 pm

Extra training session. Question scratch
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:12 pm

I thought the pitch was frozen?

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:15 pm

Most likely pitch inspection/prep as Bristol City Women are at home tomorrow

Dave

pete mac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-chris Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:23 pm

scratch  Perhaps they thought that having the lights on would thaw the pitch out Very Happy Razz

(I'll get my coat) Embarassed
Midsomer-chris
Midsomer-chris

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:56 am

We've always had a problem in front of the main stand as the sun can't reach it. The rest of the pitch can be quite playable but if that 10% strip is frozen solid then the game has to be called off.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:47 pm

Used to use frost covers - guess they still exist. A matter of knowing when to put them down and having people to do it.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:45 pm

Midsomer-chris wrote:scratch  Perhaps they thought that having the lights on would thaw the pitch out Very Happy Razz

(I'll get my coat) Embarassed

Ha Ha - It made me smile anyway.

I thought that it would be unlikely to schedule a Bristol City Women's match on the day after we were meant to play on the same hallowed turf, so my curiosity led me to look at the FA Women's League fixtures - there were no matches due to be played this weekend (next weekend I think), but there might have been a Cup match I suppose. Perhaps the lights were just being tested. If not, the mystery of the lights being on remains.

Come on someone, please 'shed some light on this' - I don't like mysteries.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:20 pm

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Andrew was rolling the pitch. It would have been the first chance to do it after Hungerford.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:14 pm

The plot thickens. As far as we know there was no one about on Saturday afternoon apart from the webuyanycar man. Maybe Philip Scofield was making an appearance?
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:18 pm

tovid wrote:The plot thickens. As far as we know there was no one about on Saturday afternoon apart from the webuyanycar man. Maybe Philip Scofield was making an appearance?

I'm guessing it is the electro magnetic force from the 5G transmitters causing the lights to illuminate. Got to love a good conspiracy theory!

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:42 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:

I'm guessing it is the electro magnetic force from the 5G transmitters causing the lights to illuminate. Got to love a good conspiracy theory!

Don’t tell BANES that there is a 5G mast at Twerton or they will never let us back in!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:32 pm

tovid wrote:The plot thickens. As far as we know there was no one about on Saturday afternoon apart from the webuyanycar man. Maybe Philip Scofield was making an appearance?

Well Sascha was about! When I walk past my neighbour’s house at night a sensor sets off a light to distract thieves. I’m sure something similar was installed at TP...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:05 pm

comrade powell wrote:

Well Sascha was about! When I walk past my neighbour’s house at night a sensor sets off a light to distract thieves. I’m sure something similar was installed at TP...

i wasn't about as you put it Martin but I can see the lights from home.
They were on for a fair few hours which made me wonder what was going on and more to the point, should it be going on.
I feel very strongly about all this as we are now quite literally loosing people day to day by the thousands.
Couldn't believe what I saw at the Chippenham game , hundreds in one area behind the goal with two fluorescent stewards stood in the middle with no masks on , no social distancing , just a bunch of thoughtless morons.
All sport needs to halted now regardless of it being behind closed doors.
It sends out the wrong message to some as though life just goes on , because for so many it does not.
I have absolutely no interest in how Bath City are doing as for me the season is not real and I would not have gone to Twerton Park if we were able. There are too many morons about and yes i'm afraid some of these do frequent Twerton Park
Scrap the season now, and maybe we can get something going in small scale by August.
Not sure where all this has come from as this post was about floodlights.
I just feel so strongly and angry

If want your sport and have access to You Tube, stick to that

I saw an old video of Arsenal beating Chelsea the other day . So there are are some real rarities on You Tube.

SASCHA

Midsomer-steve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:20 pm

Agree totally with what you’re saying there, Gary. I thought your original post was made in jest but I’m sure there was a good reason for the lights being on.

This season has become an exercise in pointlessness and the quicker it is scrapped the better. The self entitlement and self interest of so many involved in the game has left a sour taste. I thought the statement released this week by Slough was spot on but all it has done is attract derision from many supporters of other clubs.

And is there no footage on YouTube of the match at Arsenal on Boxing Day?!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Midsomer-steve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:45 pm

If the floodlights were on and it was because say the team were training then that would be legitimate. Even the government concedes that games at this level can be played. If they felt sport should be stopped then it would be. They have not baulked for a minute about closing down other activities. No doubt they will call a halt to proceedings as soon as they believe it is necessary.
Nevertheless there was no activity on the pitch apart from the usual crows looking for worms.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:20 pm

comrade powell wrote:

This season has become an exercise in pointlessness and the quicker it is scrapped the better. The self entitlement and self interest of so many involved in the game has left a sour taste. I thought the statement released this week by Slough was spot on but all it has done is attract derision from many supporters of other clubs.

It seems that the Southern, Isthmian and Northern Premier leagues (known as the Trident Leagues!) are pushing for this season to be 'null and void' and have decided to suspend games until at least 6th March. Interestingly the FA seems determined to press ahead with the planned reorganisation of the pyramid (to include increasing NLS & NLN to 24 clubs) from the start of next season.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the F A Trophy, especially as there seems to be no word on when last seasons final will be played, and would be ridiculous to have two seasons competitions unfinished.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:49 pm

It will also be interesting to see which way the NL Board sways if it becomes clear that the season cannot be completed or if a large number of clubs follow Slough in trying to suspend it. I think it’s no secret that the Board wanted last season null and voided once it was clear that it could not be concluded in the normal way. Instead a majority of the clubs got their way and we had PPG and the playoffs.

Surely the NL don’t need reminding that clubs will act out of self interest and just maybe they will show some leadership and make the necessary decisions itself rather than trying to appear diplomatic by canvassing views. But after all the bad feelings following the way it handled the payments to clubs it cannot afford another PR disaster.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:30 pm

tovid wrote:If the floodlights were on and it was because say the team were training then that would be legitimate. Even the government concedes that games at this level can be played. If they felt sport should be stopped then it would be. They have not baulked for a minute about closing down other activities. No doubt they will call a halt to proceedings as soon as they believe it is necessary.
Nevertheless there was no activity on the pitch apart from the usual crows looking for worms.

This utterly pathetic Government should have pulled the plug on ALL sporting activity as soon as the whole country was assigned Tier3 or 4 status. Players in teams of both football and rugby (so stupid to be playing this game in particular - such a high contact sport) are dropping like flies, and countless games are being called off at all levels - some teams are so far behind already with their League fixtures that it will be nigh impossible for them to catch up - but the most important thing, by far, is that sports teams provide a very nice 'nesting ground' for the germs to prosper, which, in turn, will result in each player spreading the disease to others unknowingly.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:54 pm

I suspect there are other clubs that feel like Slough but after the reaction they got I don't see many putting their heads above the parapet.

Considering how vocal they were about the playoffs and in the LetFansIn campaign, Dorking have been conspicuous by their silence - I am sure it has nothing to do with their league position...

I suspect the NL Board will at least wait and see what decision the Step 3/4 leagues come to.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum