Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tony Gough

4 posters

Go down

Tony Gough Empty Tony Gough

Post by LB Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:18 pm

Today is Tony Gough’s 80th Birthday.

Tony was of course the first City player - and for a long time the only one - to have made 500 appearances for the club. He was also captain of the Hereford team that knocked Newcastle out of the F A Cup in 1972 and went on to win the Southern League that season resulting in their election to the Football League.

LB

Back to top Go down

Tony Gough Empty Re: Tony Gough

Post by comrade powell Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:42 pm

I had a nice chat with Tony at the wake following Roger Swift’s funeral in the Autumn. He shared many memories of his years at Twerton and had a fine recall of matches played so long ago.

Happy birthday, Tony!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Parker Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:49 am

Happy Birthday, Mr Gough, have a great day. There's no way you can be 80 as it seems like it was only a year or two ago we went to your testimonial game against Tony Book's Manchester City!

Twerton Parker

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:34 am

I remember that testimonial match for Tony. I’m sure it was exactly seven days after Manchester City won the FA Cup at Wembley and they sent their first team. Imagine a Premiership club doing similar today.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:44 pm

Was that the game that ended 4-4 or 5-5? I was there standing on the air raid shelters if memory.......
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:05 pm

I was also stood on the air raid shelters and probably blocked your view! Very Happy The score was 5-5 with the defences well on top...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:17 pm

Yes, that would be all the hair you had then!  
Seem to remember Tony was still playing in the Bath & District League well into middle age.
My abiding memory of him was the last match of 1973-4 season away at Andover.  I think he'd returned briefly at the end of his professional career.  City needed to win to secure promotion back to the Southern Premier.  We'd beaten them 5-0 only 3 days earlier at TP and they were relegated.  Seemed Andover were determined to 'chuck water on our bonfire'.  
It was 0-0 until right near the end when he let fly from distance and in it went.  Joyous celebrations as 1-0 was how it stayed.  At least that's how I remember it.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:34 pm

I missed most of that season due to being away at college. What made promotion all the more remarkable was the dreadful start. The Good Book indicates that in late October we had only five points on the board from the nine matches. Roy Bence was sacked as manager and under his replacement Bert Head we never looked back.

The day after the win at Andover we lost at home to Hereford in the final of the Border Counties Floodlight League Cup which was apparently spoilt by visiting hooligans. The season ended a week later when we lifted the Swanborough Cup (?) in a tight affair at Melksham winning 7-5!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum