Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chairman statement - "digs"!

+2
Steve Whites Missus
Dodgycarpet
6 posters

Go down

chairman statement - "digs"! Empty chairman statement - "digs"!

Post by Dodgycarpet Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:39 am

in the press release our chairman states "Student accommodation remains much needed in Bath, and the more we can create purpose built facilities, the less local housing will be taken over as “digs.”  Love the old skool expression used here - "digs"!
On a serious note - I agree it SHOULD reduce the demand on family homes being turned into student houses, bit DOES it?
The council has never given a satisfactory answer that confirms student numbers wont just go up in line with accommodation capacity in the city.  Until it does make such an assertion in conjunction with the universities then as a local resident I say we shouldn't allow any more student blocks.  As a supporter I want it approved. Dilemma.
Anyway off up the M4 now!

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

chairman statement - "digs"! Empty Re: chairman statement - "digs"!

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:19 am

No it doesn’t. The owners of the houses don’t want to lose their multiple occupancy allowance they have been granted as this is a good earner for them.
If you speak with the letting agencies in the city they’ll tell you the ‘freeing up houses’ claim is tosh...

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:07 pm

New student blocks probably don't free up many existing HMOs, and some of them wouldn't be suitable as 'family' homes anyway because of the way they have been converted, e.g. 2 bed terraces now having 6 rooms etc. What they might hopefully do though is prevent more houses being lost to HMOs which is probably the best that can be hoped for.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:49 pm

Where can I view this statement ?
Please

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:11 pm

It's in the update. Re the application in here. Takes our mind off today anyway

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:17 pm

Thank you Dodgycarpet, I can see what you have quoted but where can I find or hear the actual press release from the Chairman, or can i not do so.

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:28 am

Ha I can't find it now! Can't remember if it was on here, the website or Twitter! I probably used the wrong term in using "press release" but was certainly a statement for public consumption.

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

chairman statement - "digs"! Empty Digs

Post by Peter Newman Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:45 am

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:19 pm

Ok.... The applicants to turn regency cleaners site into student housing - said: " once this is complete, it will 'provide much-needed accommodation to alleviate pressure on Homes of Multiple Occupancy (HMOs) and accommodate the city’s two universities’ aspirations to grow"
So they do intend to grow. This developer bought the land specifically to get rid of useful industry / jobs and build student accom. This really has gone far enough. It has to be said.

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:16 pm

Dodgycarpet wrote:Ok.... The applicants to turn regency cleaners site into student housing - said: " once this is complete, it will 'provide much-needed accommodation to alleviate pressure on Homes of Multiple Occupancy (HMOs) and accommodate the city’s two universities’ aspirations to grow"
So they do intend to grow.  This developer bought the land specifically to get rid of useful industry / jobs and build student accom. This really has gone far enough. It has to be said.

With Bath Cricket Club also looking to build student accommodation (on land which it appears the council is going to sell them below the market rate!) we need to get our application granted before the tide turns against the whole idea.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:39 pm

It would lovely to think that Bath has a thriving industrial base or indeed any sort of base but it hasn't. Even the shopping', upon which it has pinned its hopes, days are numbered. This is a fast changing world and one that is not easy to digest to us old uns.
The reality is that the city has become ever more reliant on the students and tourists to bring new money in. To remain a vibrant city Bath needs to reinvent itself. Maybe something will come along that is more palatable than students but there are worse things.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down