Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pop Side Terracing (Bath End specifically)

4 posters

Go down

Pop Side Terracing (Bath End specifically) Empty Pop Side Terracing (Bath End specifically)

Post by Jon_BOA Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:59 am

With the levelling of the slope, the pitch at the Bath End is going to be higher than the first few rows (maybe up to the first crash barrier) on the Pop Side at that end. With the spoil created by the building works, is there scope to make the terraces at that end higher, therefore mitigating any loss of capacity and having the added benefit of moving everyone higher to the roof which is better for atmosphere (see the Pop Side at the Bristol End for a comparison).

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Pop Side Terracing (Bath End specifically) Empty Re: Pop Side Terracing (Bath End specifically)

Post by tovid Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:24 pm

The terracing slopes up pretty sharply to the bogs in the corner so it should be possible to re-grade. They will have to fill in the tiers you are talking about to be at least level with the pitch I would have thought anyway.
Of course the more you increase the scope of what you do the more expensive it becomes.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Pop Side Terracing (Bath End specifically) Empty Re: Pop Side Terracing (Bath End specifically)

Post by OliverH Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:12 pm

Worth taking a look at the topography and proposed site plan in the "Useful Information" tab.

The proposed site plan suggests that the pitch would be levelled at a height of 33.5m (above sea level? not sure), which is 30cm above the highest current point, i.e. the Pop Side / Bristol End corner flag.

If this is correct, and I have interpreted the map correctly, it would affect the Pop Side all the way down to the tea bar, and "submerge" the eastern end of the Pop Side up to the current yellow hatched disability access terrace. Is this correct?

Last edited by OliverH on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:49 pm

Yes you are right the pitch will be 6ft (1.8m) higher at the Bath end of the Popular side. This will probably affect the whole lower level of the popular side and it looks to me as though the wall will be further back, to be virtually under the stand gutter line.

They are showing the Bristol end divided into three sections. The desigers must have considered what effect the pitch levelling will have on the terraces so ought to be able to tell us what re-modelling will be required even if it is not exact.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:07 am

Perhaps things have moved on but my previous understanding was that the highest to lowest point of the pitch was 1.8 mtrs. In simple terms this would have meant dropping the highest point by 0.9 and raising the lowest by 0.9 mtrs.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:23 pm

It is actually nearer to 2.7m and as Oliver says above they want to raise the pitch another 30cm above the highest level.

I don't think it is practical to lower the pitch at the higher corner anyway. The water table is very close to the surface at that end.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:38 pm

Take a look at the docs under the Useful Information thread - Proposed Site Plan and Topological Survey
OliverH
OliverH

Kieron75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:11 pm

[An offline supporter has asked me to post:]

We must deal with the loss of the steps as part of the redevelopment and reinstate the steps.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:50 am

COMMENT FROM 30 NOV SESSION:

- We can always raise the terrace at a later date
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:11 am

You can now download the drawing that clearly shows the impact on the Pop Side terracing here:

https://www.bathcitysociety.org/stadium-consultation-docs.html
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down