Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The remaining fixtures for our play-off contenders

+6
Luton Roman
Peter Newman
Midsomer-steve
tovid
comrade powell
Roy D Hacksaw
10 posters

Go down

The remaining fixtures for our play-off contenders Empty The remaining fixtures for our play-off contenders

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:29 pm

In the run in I thought it might be useful to have a look at who is left to play who over the last few weeks of the season, by way of comparison and reference.

Bath City
Welling (A)
St Albans (H)
Hungerford (A)
Oxford City (H)
Bilericay (A)

Torquay
Chelmsford (H)
Woking (A)
Eastbourne (H)
Chippenham (A)
Hungerford (H)
St Albans (A)

Woking
Torquay (H)
Chelmsford (A)
Concord (H)
Dulwich (A)
Gloucester (H)

Welling
Bath City (H)
Slough (A)
Chelmsford (H)
East Thurrock (A)
Hampton & Richmond (H)

Chelmsford
Torquay (A)
St Albans (A)
Woking (H)
Welling (A)
Wealdstone (H)
Chippenham (A)

Dartford
Weston SM (A)
Chippenham (H)
Eastbourne (A)
Billericay (H)
Oxford City (A)

Billericay
Hampton & Richmond (H)
Gloucester City (A)
Hemel Hempstead (H)
Dartford (A)
Bath City (H)

Concord Rangers
Truro (A)
Oxford City (H)
Woking (A)
St Albans (H)
Eastbourne (A)

Wealdstone
East Thurrock (H)
Hampton & Richmond (A)
Dulwich (H)
Chelmsford (A)
Hemel Hempstead (H)

St Albans
Chelmsford (H)
Bath City (A)
East Thurrock (H)
Concord (A)
Torquay (H)

Out of that lot, I don't envy Chelmo's run in, and I'm guessing we can pretty much count St Albans out. But Billericay and Wealdstone have pretty nice looking Aprils. So could our last game at Billericay end up being an effective play-off for the play-offs? Let's hope it's done and dusted before then!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

The remaining fixtures for our play-off contenders Empty Re: The remaining fixtures for our play-off contenders

Post by comrade powell Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:54 pm

I think we can pretty much count Torquay out as play off contenders if they win their game in hand on Tuesday (home to Chelmsford). They would then go to Woking next Saturday with a seven point lead over the Cards and a much better goal difference. It should be quite a game though.

In fact there are 3 'six pointers' next Saturday, 2 on 13/4, 2 on 20/4, 3 on 22/4 and 2 on the final day. It's great that we're involved in all the exciting permutations!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

The remaining fixtures for our play-off contenders Empty Re: The remaining fixtures for our play-off contenders

Post by tovid Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:04 am

Billericay only have a fairly comfortable run in if you discount that they have to play us. We are capable of beating anyone with all our players available and hopefully that will be the case by the final few games of the season.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:55 am

Well said Tovid. - and they have Dartford to play. To me the Dartford run in looks the easiest. We'll see. 
The most important thing is for City to get a win on Saturday, which will put us firmly on course for a third place finish. Very Happy
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:46 pm

Chelmsford's 3-1 defeat tonight uses up their game in hand, keeps them just two points ahead and our goal difference is now better.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:41 am

We need to finish in one of the higher play-off positions to claim an initial home game. Otherwise it could be an expensive time for travelling supporters if we ended up playing 3 away games. Other than Woking (Torquay) we are looking at Kent and Essex teams that work out something in the region of a £50 cost per trip following on from a last league game at Billericay.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:54 am

Good point about the potential travelling. Must finish in top 5. Woking players and management subsidised supporters coaches last Saturday.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:10 am

The reason for the subsidy was as way of apology for two dreadful Woking performances prior to last Saturday. Our club covered all expenses for a supporters coach to Ebbsfleet a few years back for the same reason.

Regarding potential travelling in the play offs, I agree 6th and 7th places are to be avoided. It will certainly help the SC if we don't have to go into the last week of the season uncertain if we'll be organising possible transport to a destination unknown the following Wednesday.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:22 pm

comrade powell wrote:The reason for the subsidy was as way of apology for two dreadful Woking performances prior to last Saturday.

I've never understood that theory, even less so with Woking as they've reached the FA Cup 3rd Round and are still in with a chance of the title. If they can afford to do it, fine. Still don't get it. I can accept that Bath City won't play startling football every week. Sometimes we might be poor, by the sounds of things I missed our worst performance this season (Weston in the cup), if anyone said 'I want a refund for that' I would have been annoyed. Sometimes I go to the cinema and the film wasn't as good as I was expecting, I wouldn't be demanding my money back.

I'd rather the money was spent on something more productive than basically bribing people to go along. If it's done as a 'thank you' to loyal supporters for an away trip at the end of the season (I seem to recall the board funding our coach for a mid-table Thursday night trip to Havant once) then fair enough. I appreciate it is expensive going to away games but it's expensive going on holiday too, I would be expected to pay for that, no-one else.

In terms of the positions, Braintree proved last season it is doable to do it the hard way, but obviously avoiding an extra game would be ideal. By finishing third it almost certainly means the furthest we'll have to travel for a game is Woking. I'm sure we can cope with that.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Peter Newman wrote:We need to finish in one of the higher play-off positions to claim an initial home game. Otherwise it could be an expensive time for travelling supporters if we ended up playing 3 away games.  Other than Woking  (Torquay) we are looking at Kent and Essex teams that work out something in the region of  a £50 cost per trip following on from a last league game at Billericay.
I hope for home game(s) - however, my return senior rail tickets for Welling/Billericay are £25/£26.

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:51 pm

Maurice Ashman wrote:
Peter Newman wrote:We need to finish in one of the higher play-off positions to claim an initial home game. Otherwise it could be an expensive time for travelling supporters if we ended up playing 3 away games.  Other than Woking  (Torquay) we are looking at Kent and Essex teams that work out something in the region of  a £50 cost per trip following on from a last league game at Billericay.
I hope for home game(s) - however, my return senior rail tickets for Welling/Billericay are £25/£26.

They won't be much use from Kent/Essex after extra time on a Wednesday night mind

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Palms wrote:
Maurice Ashman wrote:

They won't be much use from Kent/Essex after extra time on a Wednesday night mind
If that were to be the case, a seat on the coach would be preferable!

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:11 pm

My estimate of £50 per trip was to cover travel, admission and the other additional expenses e.g a celebratory drink (or 2) associated with an away trip.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:29 pm

Yes, Peter and with the cost of drinks in the London area, it could be even more!

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:34 pm

Junior, I don't recall fans demanding a refund for the disappointing performance (it was the cup defeat by Potters Bar) or the club 'bribing' fans to travel to Ebbsfleet. It was simply a gesture from the management and players, admitting that they had under-performed and wanting to make it up to the fans.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:27 pm

comrade powell wrote:Junior, I don't recall fans demanding a refund for the disappointing performance (it was the cup defeat by Potters Bar) or the club 'bribing' fans to travel to Ebbsfleet. It was simply a gesture from the management and players, admitting that they had under-performed and wanting to make it up to the fans.

No, I don't either, but just think it sets a dangerous precedence. I can imagine some people (let's face it, there are probably a few out there moaning because we haven't won any of our last three) demanding money back on other poor performances.

If I was given a pound for every disappointing cup exit I'd witnessed I'd have about £12. In 50+ games a season there will be a few poor performances thrown in. The 2011/12 season cost me a small fortune to attend away games and I didn't see a single away win. That's just the way it goes sometimes.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:02 pm

To repeat, we're not talking about a refund - those who travelled to Potters Bar never got their money back, just the opportunity to travel to the next match free of charge. In fact the offer was open to all supporters whether they went to PB or not (but we still didn't fill the coach!)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:41 pm

Probably for the best - pretty sure it was a 0-1 missed penalty effort.

I still can’t believe one or two poor performances in an otherwise excellent campaign made Woking think it justified free coaches or whatever. I guess the cup run has helped them finance such things.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:51 pm

I've checked their forum threads and can't see reference to poor performances. Perhaps they wanted big support for a big game which seems like a good thing whatever the reason. Looks like we have followed suit which is great. Can't see how anyone can see this as an issue! Let's encourage people to support the team in every possible way.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 am

Roy D wrote:I'm guessing we can pretty much count St Albans out.

Hmmm.....
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down