Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath City (1)3 Torquay United (1)2

+9
LB
2weirdtown
tovid
SteveS
stillmanjunior
turnstyle13
comrade powell
the demon headmaster
Kelston Koppite
13 posters

Go down

Bath City (1)3  Torquay United (1)2 Empty Bath City (1)3 Torquay United (1)2

Post by Kelston Koppite Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Bath City produced a stunning late comeback at a packed Twerton Park as National League South leaders Torquay United were beaten by the odd goal in five.  This ended The Gulls’ ten match winning streak, extended City’s own unbeaten run to eight games, and ensured an electric atmosphere inside the ground rivalling that of the play-off final against Woking back in May 2010.

The Romans started brightly but it was Torquay who created the first opening in the 2nd minute.  Sakou Janneh worked his way to the right hand by-line before picking out Kalvin Kalala, who volleyed wastefully over Ryan Clarke’s crossbar.  City responded on 4 minutes with a shot from 20 yards by Joe Raynes that was saved low down by the diving United custodian Shaun MacDonald.

The hosts forged in front after 8 minutes when Raynes won possession deep in the Torquay half and found Freddie Hinds with a neat pass.  The forward took the ball in his stride and his powerful rising drive from the edge of the box flew into the top corner via the underside of the bar, giving the statuesque MacDonald no chance.

Bath continued in the ascendancy and Sean Rigg’s effort in the 18th minute from 20 yards curled narrowly wide of MacDonald’s post.  Thereafter, whilst both sides posed a threat going forward, the game was being played largely in the midfield areas.  However, as time wore on, the Devon side began to put the City defence under increasing pressure as they were pushed deeper into their own territory.  

With four minutes of the half remaining, Janneh fired a low cross into the 6 yard box from the right which just eluded the onrushing Jamie Reid and, a minute later, Janneh’s shot was blocked for a corner by Robbie Cundy’s well-timed challenge inside the box.  Torquay were not to be denied and the pressure finally told from the resulting corner taken by Jake Andrews that was headed in at the far post by Asa Hall.

Tom Smith replaced Kevin Amankwaah ahead of the restart, and the hosts created the opening chance of the second half in the 50th minute.  Hinds skilfully turned his marker on the edge of the box, but his low shot was saved at the foot of the near post by MacDonald.

Torquay gradually gained the upper hand in terms of possession and looked dangerous as they drove forward with their pace and movement.  City were being harried into giving the ball away too frequently and, consequently, the away side were becoming increasingly threatening.  

Janneh nipped in to steal an awkwardly bouncing ball from Jack Batten, but fired his effort from inside the area high over Clarke’s crossbar.  Clarke then did well to tip the ball over the top in the 56th minute following a firmly struck freekick by Andrews from the point of the box and, a minute later, a low cross flew across the face of the City goalmouth without anyone being able to apply a telling touch.

On the hour mark, substitute Ruairi Keating shot wide from the edge of the home box, but his side were in front four minutes later.  Janneh’s effort was deflected wide but, from the resulting corner kick, Reid bundled into the net from close range.
Andy Watkins came on for Ross Stearn in the 67th minute but, at this stage, it was United who looked the more likely to add to the scoreline.  Indeed, they had a golden opportunity to seal victory when Andrews was felled in the area by Leon Davies, and the referee, Mr. Lewis Smith, pointed to the spot.  There were no real complaints from the City players, but they were given a lifeline when, having picked himself up, Andrews lifted his penalty kick high over the bar and into the hoards of away supporters behind the goal on the Bristol End terracing.

The uplifting effect on the City players was clearly evident as they rediscovered their passing game, and Torquay were suddenly thrust on to the back foot.  Ryan Brunt replaced Hinds and immediately imposed his physicality on the visiting defenders.  Indeed, the forward was pushed in the back inside the area by Hall in the 82nd minute, and Mr. Smith awarded his second penalty of the afternoon.  Home skipper Anthony Straker showed no sign of nerves as he found the corner of the net from 12 yards, sending MacDonald the wrong way in the process.

There was bedlam inside the ground as, with Torquay reeling, The Romans pushed forward in search of a winner.  A flowing move down the left in the 86th minute concluded with Straker crossing towards Brunt at the near post, and the striker expertly guided the ball into the far corner of the net with MacDonald clutching at thin air.

There were five minutes of added time which allowed The Gulls to generate a few scares for the hosts.  Keating struck a firm shot straight at Clarke from 20 yards, and the home stopper had to turn a low effort from Liam Davis round his near post.  Goalkeeper MacDonald came up for the resulting corner and the ball eventually ran to him inside the box.  His low cross-shot appeared goalbound until Janneh somehow turned the ball over the crossbar from inside the 6 yard box.

This was a fantastic victory for City who produced a performance brimming with grit and determination, but also showed great enterprise when allowed by their full-time opponents. It would have been easy to wilt under the early second half pressure but, in the end, they edged overall proceedings and just about deserved the three points from a breathless match.  There is no doubt that the missed penalty was the pivotal moment, but Jerry Gill’s men certainly made the most of their good fortune and ensured that Torquay paid dearly for their squandered opportunities.  The majority of those in attendance gave the home side a resounding reception following the final whistle and the atmosphere in the ground was truly memorable.

Bath City: Ryan Clarke; Kevin Amankwaah (Tom Smith HT), Robbie Cundy, Jack Batten; Leon Davies, Joe Raynes, Frankie Artus, Anthony Straker; Sean Rigg; Freddie Hinds (Ryan Brunt 76), Ross Stearn (Andy Watkins 67).  Subs not used: Dan Ball, Harvey Wiles-Richards.

Torquay United: Shaun MacDonald; Ben Wynter, Liam Davis, Jamie Sendles-White, Asa Hall, Sakou Janneh, Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, Kyle Cameron, Jake Andrews (Opie Edwards 76), Jamie Reid, Kalvin Kalala (Ruairi Keating 56).  Subs not used: George Burton, Jean Yves Koue Niate, Ryan Dickson.

Referee: Mr. Lewis Smith.

Attendance:  3,492
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Bath City (1)3  Torquay United (1)2 Empty Re: Bath City (1)3 Torquay United (1)2

Post by the demon headmaster Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:37 pm

Bedlam, mayhem, delirium, waaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!! What a finish. I can’t ever remember the enclosure starting a chant. The full-throated roar of ‘Who are ya!’ and the fact that nobody could tear themselves away from the drama until the final whistle were all things to be remembered by those of us who have been going for years. Even the 1978 game v Weymouth was a scoreless draw in front of a smaller crowd. The large home cup attendances in the 90s were games where we were outclassed. This was probably the best attendance and performance combined in the last (nearly) 50 years. We’ll be talking about it for the rest of our lives.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Bath City (1)3  Torquay United (1)2 Empty Re: Bath City (1)3 Torquay United (1)2

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Fully agree with my learned friend (although the '78 game at home to Weymouth ended 1-1). The Chippenham match and yesterday's has proved that we can perform in front of large crowds and let's hope that there are many more when the trend can be continued!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:01 pm

And the highest league attendance since 7/5/66 when according to the good book >4000 saw city achieve promotion on the penultimate day of the season with a 3-1 over Wisbech.
But I bet it wasn’t as good as yesterday. Still smiling.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:01 pm

And I was there! Watched the game in front of the old press box where the Family Stand is now. Wisbech would have pipped us for promotion if they had got at least 3 points from us and at Trowbridge the night before! Apparently our Wiltshire neighbours' win was cheered by many of our fans who went down to Frome Road and a Wisbech own goal set us up for a memorable win completed with goals by Mike Denton and Billy Horton.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:19 pm

Is that attendance stat correct? I have tried in vain to fill in the gaps pre-1984 but still a lot missing. When I saw it was bigger than Weymouth I was struggling to come up with an answer.

Amazingly, we are now the only current club in NLS that have won back-to-back matches.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:14 pm

Ooops! The honorable gentleman is correct (1-1). I blame my age. It’s simply a dream that we have beaten that record. After years of steady declines in attendances, the revival of the last couple of years has been heartening.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:57 pm

I remember the Wisbech game, I think we were 3 up in about 20 minutes. I was also at Trowbridge on the Friday night. I think at one time Wisbech had a big lead at the top of the table but it gradually disappeared and losing the last 2 games was the final straw.
We must be getting old Mr Powell.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:56 pm

Gary Johnson not very happy
Johnson
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:49 pm

tovid wrote:Gary Johnson not very happy
Johnson

He said
"We're not used to losing but sometimes you have to hold your hands up and pay tribute to the opposition, because I thought from the off they shut us down, picked us off a little bit and we didn't create enough chances apart from the set play,"
Seems like a bit of a compliment
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:16 pm

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:56 pm

It must be true it’s in the Daily Mail!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:48 pm

To be fair that is a fantastic article for Bath City with some terrific photos.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:57 am

[quote="comrade powell"]I never thought I'd post a link to this site...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6612231/ON-ROAD-Gary-Johnsons-high-flying-Torquay-c
onquered-Romans-Bath-City.html[/quote

I have been very busy since the Torquay game Martin and completely missed this link to The Mail Sports Pages

I have a lot to say on the matter of the trouble over in Coffin Corner and will do, hopefully ruffling a few feathers. Although of course not intentionally. I will do this later When I find the time.

However, referring to picture 13 which shows some of the trouble , in fact this was when it had died down a little.
This show a white bearded thug in the Bath section who is clearly walking away looking as guilty as hell.
Catch you later

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:10 pm

Unusually I was stood with the singers at the Bristol end.
I didn't see and am sure no city fan went very to cause trouble. Many had a look of amusement and were laughing at the Torquay troublemakers which could be mistaken for looking like someone who'd caused trouble!

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:59 pm

SASCHA wrote:
comrade powell wrote:I never thought I'd post a link to this site...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6612231/ON-ROAD-Gary-Johnsons-high-flying-Torquay-c
onquered-Romans-Bath-City.html[/quote

I have been very busy since the Torquay game Martin and completely missed this link to The Mail Sports Pages

I have a lot to say on the matter of the trouble over in Coffin Corner and will do, hopefully ruffling a few feathers. Although of course not intentionally. I will do this later When I find the time.

However, referring to picture 13 which shows some of the trouble , in fact this was when it had died down a little.
This show a white bearded thug in the Bath section who is clearly walking away looking as guilty as hell.
Catch you later
I think I recall that bloke causing trouble at Grantham a few years back. If anyone knows who he is maybe he could be brought to task. I also remember him being at Halesowen, but he was not aggressive on that occasion possibly due to it being after a long walk to the pub and then having several bevvies.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:06 pm

I think he was actually the peace maker at Grantham and as for Halesowen I don't recall seeing him, but if he was subjected to that walk then i would fully understand some aggression, but never condone it of course.

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:48 am

My memory of him was he always had a flask of some noxious substance that could be used to keep any trouble makers at a safe distance.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down