Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath City (0)0 Welling United (1)2

4 posters

Go down

Bath City (0)0  Welling United (1)2 Empty Bath City (0)0 Welling United (1)2

Post by Kelston Koppite Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:48 am

Bath City were soundly beaten by Welling United at Twerton Park in front of an impressive Community Day crowd of 1,585. City had their chances to get back into the match after falling behind to an extremely soft goal midway through the first half, but could have no complaints about the final outcome, being outmanoeuvred and outthought by the visitors.

Welling came out of the blocks quickly and could have taken the lead in the 2nd minute. Nassim L’Ghoul found space on the right and his angled effort forced home stopper Ryan Clarke into a save with his feet. They continued to pin City in their own half for the majority of the opening 20 minutes but were unable to create any further clear-cut openings. A long throw in from the right by James Hurst on 18 minutes was only cleared as far as Craig Braham-Barrett, whose shot from the edge of the box was deflected for a corner.

The hosts finally managed to shake off the shackles in the 21st minute with a rare break forward, that ended with Joe Raynes’ powerful shot from distance being well saved at the foot of his post by United keeper Dan Wilks.

Welling continued to dominate proceedings and went in front after 25 minutes, albeit this was gift wrapped by the home side. Danny Mills flicked the ball over the Bath defence, who stopped in anticipation that Clarke would collect. However, the gloveman dithered, allowing Gavin McCallum to nip in and guide the ball into the unguarded net from a tight angle.

The Romans came more into the game thereafter but struggled to make an impression in the crowded midfield areas, or put any pressure on the well drilled visiting back-line. Matt Richards delivered a free kick into the box in the 34th minute that just eluded the onrushing Robbie Cundy at the far post.

McCallum dragged a shot wide of Clarke’s near post from a promising position on 37 minutes and, two minutes later, City had their best chance of the half to restore parity. Another long free kick from the right by Richards picked out Jack Batten inside the area, but his firm downward header was well saved by the diving Wilks.

The dangerous McCallum saw another effort deflected for a corner and, at the other end, Adam Mann produced a strong run towards the Welling box, before driving a fierce shot narrowly over the crossbar.

John Mills replaced Richards at half time as Bath looked to gain a foothold in the game, but the first 25 minutes of the second period were largely uneventful as Welling were content to sit back on their lead, albeit always remaining a threat going forward. City were unable to produce their usual passing game as they continued to be closed down quickly by their opponents.

Kevin Amankwaah came on for the injured Sean Rigg, and Raynes was moved to a more advanced role. Good work by Mann in the 70th minute produced an opening for Ross Stearn, but his first time shot from outside the box was too high to trouble Wilks. The Kent side responded with an effort of their own, but D’Ghoul’s angled effort clipped the outside of Clarke’s framework.

Stearn cut in from the left in the 75th minute, but his shot was shovelled round the near post by Wilks and, with ten minutes left on the clock, the hosts had a golden chance to level the scores. John Mills latched on to a through pass and had a clear run on goal, but he delayed his shot which allowed it to be partially blocked. This heralded a frantic goalmouth scramble, with Stearn having another shot repelled, and Ryan Brunt’s follow up effort being deflected wide of the near post for a corner, which came to nothing.

There was a sense of inevitability around the ground when Welling finally recorded their second goal on 81 minutes. The City defence could not deal with a cross from the left by Jack Jebb, and Danny Mills was allowed to control the ball before tucking his shot into the bottom corner of the net. There was a suspicion of handball, but the referee Mr. Richard Gardner, was not interested in the somewhat muted appeals.

The ‘Wings’ were now in complete control, and Jebb tried his luck with a free kick four minutes from time, but was well off target. Their margin of victory should have increased further deep into stoppage time when L’Ghoul played in Danny Mills, but the striker shot tamely into Clarke’s midriff.

This was a fully deserved three points for Welling, and City were well beaten by a very well organised and hard-working outfit. This was a clear demonstration and reminder that, if they are to fulfil their potential, this is the type of side and style of play that Jerry Gill’s men will need to overcome as the season progresses. They certainly cannot be accused of lack of effort or desire, and great positives can be taken in this respect as they prepare for next Saturday’s important FA Cup encounter with Lewes.

Bath City: Ryan Clarke; Joe Raynes, Robbie Cundy, Jack Batten, Anthony Straker; Matt Richards (John Mills HT), Tom Smith, Sean Rigg (Kevin Amankwaah 61); Adam Mann, Ryan Brunt, Ross Stearn. Subs not used: Kieran Hodges, Frankie Artus, Dan Ball.

Welling United: Dan Wilks; James Hurst, Craig Braham-Barrett, Arnaud Mendy, Thierry Audel, Josh Hill, Nassim L'Ghoul, Jack Jebb, Danny Mills, John Paul Kissock, Gavin McCallum (Julian Anau 51). Subs not used: Yannis Ambroisine, Nathaniel Pinney, Adam Coombes, Tigana Quebe.

Referee: Mr. Richard Gardner.

Att: 1,585
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Posts : 291
Join date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

Bath City (0)0  Welling United (1)2 Empty Re: Bath City (0)0 Welling United (1)2

Post by Luton Roman Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:58 am

Bullseye KK. We were soundly beaten and outhought. No doubt plenty to ponder for JG during his run this morning.

Luton Roman

Posts : 2249
Join date : 2014-02-24

Back to top Go down

Bath City (0)0  Welling United (1)2 Empty Re: Bath City (0)0 Welling United (1)2

Post by Micawber Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:25 pm

I thought we defended pretty well. For all Welling's possession we limited them to very few chances. The first goal was a bit unfortunate. My one criticism of Clarke's goalkeeping has been his reluctance to come forward to gather through balls which was the biggest factor in Wellings opening goal.


Posts : 120
Join date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

Bath City (0)0  Welling United (1)2 Empty Re: Bath City (0)0 Welling United (1)2

Post by Manchester Romans Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:57 am

This guy, described by BBC News as a ‘former footballer’, played against us for Welling last week!

A former footballer who told police he was a millionaire Premier League player has had his appeal against a drinking and driving ban rejected.

James Hurst, 26, who had played for West Bromwich Albion and Wrexham FC, allegedly danced around when taken to Wrexham Police Station in December.

He told Caernarfon Crown Court he had drunk a small bottle of vodka after parking his Ford Focus car.

Judge Timothy Petts threw out the case.
Sitting with magistrates, he said if Hurst had drunk vodka there would have been no reason not to mention it to police at the time.

Hurst was ordered to pay £620 costs for the appeal. He claimed he was unemployed and had no money.

In April, magistrates at Llandudno handed him a bill for £2,300 and a 20-month ban.

Manchester Romans

Posts : 216
Join date : 2014-02-27

Back to top Go down

Bath City (0)0  Welling United (1)2 Empty Re: Bath City (0)0 Welling United (1)2

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum