Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath City v Dulwich

+16
yuffie
kermit
Steve Whites Missus
Roy D Hacksaw
comrade powell
sirkev
PHILB1973#
Micawber
Peter Newman
SteveBradley
Freeview Joe
Corstonian
Marc Monitor
bonzo dog
pete mac
tovid
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bath City v Dulwich - Page 2 Empty Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by tovid Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:20 pm

Hipsters

So they are all individuals who do not want to be identified as part of group but have all chosen uniquely to support the same club.

Yes I see now.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:46 pm

tovid wrote:Hipsters

So they are all individuals who do not want to be identified as part of group but have all chosen uniquely to support the same club.

Yes I see now.

Haha ! I think we're over philosophising hipsters. Just think middle-class men with beards, skinny jeans and tattoos who like craft beer and trendy urban things. Often working in creative roles and/or IT.

I don't think there's a female equivalent though ? 'Sis-psters' ?

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:47 pm

I think it's gender-neutral as a term, I've met a fair few female hipsters!

"Counter-culture" is probably the best way in to understanding it, it's less about "I want to rebel and be an individual" and more about "mass-market mainstream culture is rubbish and tedious, let's have a subculture that feels a little bit more authentic and interesting, and that we can customise a bit ourselves", which is easily translatable into football terms of Sky vs non-league.

The upside of being a hipster club is that you get a lot of "creatives" making stickers, podcasts, fanzines, posters, merch etc and generally promoting the club off their own back because they really want people to know that they are a non-league football supporter

The (perceived) downside is that it's just a lifestyle thing for them, they will move on to the fashionable next thing soon and clubs like DHFC will be back where they were (although it's been at least 10 years of new-found popularity now...)
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:29 pm

Peter Newman wrote:For my benefit ( and probably for several others) can someone explain what is the meaning of a "hipster" club.

Someone used that expression in the bar and when I asked what it meant but was simply  told it was clubs like Dulwich. - So none the wiser.

Which other clubs are "Hipster"?

Well, I hope that's all cleared up now Peter Laughing
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:25 pm

I just wish I'd known all this before the game. I would have spent more time scrutinizing the support. They didn't seem so different to Bath City Supporters to me.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:04 pm

Here's a load of photos of the game taken by a Dulwich fan.

Some good/quirky ones of Twerton Park in there.

http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2018/08/bunting-flags-and-a-giant-pig-dulwich-hamlet-lose-at-bath-city-sat-18th-aug-2018/

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sibs88 Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Evening all!

DHFC fan with too much time on his hands here. Probably a 'hipster' to you all as I, along with a big group of mates, started supporting the club around 4 years ago.

We've spent that time mostly being told that we'll get bored at some point and return to our sofas/local pubs to watch the premier league. It's also been suggested (as it has been earlier in this thread) that much of the online creativity (if you want to call it that, ha) is due to us wanting to be very loud and proud about how 'cool' we are due to our non-league football enlightenment.

Just wanted to say that as the co-host of the Forward The Hamlet podcast, and manager of it's social media channels, that has never, ever crossed my mind. The podcast was created out of our love for the club, its players and fans, and a want to bring everyone closer together by giving everyone a voice. We've put in some bloody hard yards over recent years and are loving this new adventure across southern England!

We f*cking loved the trip to Twerton Park and look forward to seeing you in south London!

Enjoy the bank hol weekend,

Ben

x

Sibs88

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:39 pm

Thanks Ben. Pleased to see that you all enjoyed your time with us last Saturday. If you play like you did and Glos as they did at TP a few days earlier then you should win comfortably tomorrow. All the best for the rest of the season and we'll see you again in freezing January!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:35 pm

Sibs88 wrote:

We f*cking loved the trip to Twerton Park and look forward to seeing you in south London!

We've been looking forward to having you in this league for the last few seasons, Ben, and were so glad that you finally made it - and even more chuffed that you enjoyed our little gaff.

Can't wait to come to yours now. Proper club, proper fans!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:38 pm

I enjoyed the company of the Dulwich press people on Saturday and look forward to visiting Imperial Fields (any chance it'll be Champion Hill?) early next year. It's clear from looking online that there are a lot of people working behind the scenes to promote Dulwich in a positive light and although I can't share the enthusiasm about this division, albeit it's better this year, I'd feel the same if we were in the Isthmian for over 100 years!

Keep up the good work. You might not pick up as many points as the last seven or eight seasons, but more performances like the first half on Saturday will see you cope perfectly well.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2