Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIXTURES ARE ANNOUNCED!!!

+2
stillmanjunior
comrade powell
6 posters

Go down

FIXTURES ARE ANNOUNCED!!! Empty FIXTURES ARE ANNOUNCED!!!

Post by comrade powell Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:03 pm

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

FIXTURES ARE ANNOUNCED!!! Empty Re: FIXTURES ARE ANNOUNCED!!!

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:18 pm

If that Weston away match takes place on that date I’ll go for a dip in the sea after.

Not as hectic start this year. Intriguing opening couple of games - two teams defeated in play-offs and another relegated. They’ll either come charging out the blocks wanting to prove people wrong, or still be on a hangover.

First date I looked for was 6th October as I’m at a wedding in Devon the day before...and it’s an FA Cup weekend.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:06 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:If that Weston away match takes place on that date I’ll go for a dip in the sea after.

I might forego my self imposed ban on going to Weston to see that.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:32 pm

Initial thoughts...

Tough looking August + October

We've got the worst of the deal in some derbies - Chipp at home on NYD should get a bigger crowd than last August's, but not as good as Boxing Day at Chipp - again we go to Weston in middle of winter, they come to TP in summer AND....

Truro away is yet again midweek and yet again they come to us on a Saturday! - Junior, how many seasons has this happened now?

Unless the cup is kind to us, there is the potential for no home fixture in October which will be bad news for the club's finances

Our luck with going to Concorde has run out - it's apparently grim there in mid winter and we're due there in February

4 of the 5 trophy dates after Xmas clash with home fixtures - again the club will lose out if they are off.

Although Torquay at home in mid winter isn't great, at least it doesn't clash with trophy dates

I wonder if the Hungerford away match on Easter Saturday will be moved to the day before?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:39 pm

And before Torquay face us they've got a tough opener at Chelmsford - they'll love going there!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:47 pm

Just realised the Hungerford game is so late in the season. They don’t have electricity for the radio, at least gives us plenty of time to sort the battery...

And the Truro midweek (only time we’ve ever played there on a Saturday was the FA Cup game) taking place in October means we will probably forego our decent commentary position in the temporary stand, to the very low, obstructed view in the other.

Important issues etc.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:16 pm

Chipp fan moaning on their forum that they are also going there midweek yet again but hosting Truro on a Saturday.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:31 pm

I think we've got the raw deal on some of those fixtures (as much as you can get a raw deal where each side places each other twice, home and away...) Torquay away on a Tuesday is a pain, but having them home Saturday is better for the club.

Gutted to have Chippenham as the Christmas games, away on Boxing Day with no public transport - ace.

Only the Conference could give us Weston not as the Christmas double header, and yet still have us scheduled to go there in December! What month are we guessing that will be played? I'm thinking March.

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:39 pm

Come to think of it, I’m sure we played Weston at their place once between Xmas and New Year. Won 2-0. Our first visit, I think. Chucked it down.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:48 pm

Stuart Douglas scored the second by rounding the keeper if it's the same game I'm thinking of. Was before they built the low cover, and for reasons I can't remember me, Tim and a few others were standing at that end as Douglas went round the keeper. Proper hammered it down!

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:06 pm

I was behind the goal for the 2-0 with Dave, was definitely pre-cover as everyone else stayed at the other end. Darren Edwards and Lewis Hogg scored.

Year later we won 1-0, Dave Gilroy went round the keeper. Same end.

Year later we won 2-0. Easy. Edwards brace.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:22 pm

How the bloody hell can they give us Weston at home on what looks like being a bone dry August and the away fixture in December?
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:51 pm

The away game should’ve been the Easter weekend at the end of the season. But all the fixtures are done in blocks, so every game on August Bank Holiday will be for that gap between Christmas and New Year.

We always seemed to be given Havant away for that Christmas/New Year. I don’t think it was ever played.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:21 pm

We're also away to St Albans on Non-League Day for the second year running.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:06 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:We're also away to St Albans on Non-League Day for the second year running.

Hopefully they may lower their League high prices then.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down