Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael & Pauline Denton

+3
cannonball
Twerton Park Magic
Beau Nash
7 posters

Go down

Michael & Pauline Denton Empty Michael & Pauline Denton

Post by Beau Nash Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:19 am

From Mike's Facebook page: "Looking out of the window in Pauline’s Hospital room at a small bushfire on the other side of the freeway. We had expected her to be home last Friday but it keeps being pushed back. Now it is “hopefully “ tomorrow, if her Methotrexate level is low enough. It also looks as though she will be getting a unit of blood as her red cells are not recovering quickly enough. All in all a very frustrating time for both of us, but Pauline in particular."

I am FB friends with Mike and am hoping that Bath City FC and many of us could send get well wishes - https://www.facebook.com/michael.denton.9250?ref=br_rs - to him for Pauline.

I still remember Southern League giant killers Bath City (Mike Denton) 2 Football League Newport County 0 1st Round Proper FA Cup game,13 November 1965. In those days rattles and pitch invasions were the norm. bounce
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Michael & Pauline Denton Empty Stars in No-stripes

Post by Twerton Park Magic Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks Beau Nash for this. I don't do Facebook but I think it's a nice suggestion to make.

There's good information on Mike's career at http://walterpless.com.au/2013/january/mike-denton-an-unsung-socceroo-in-tasmanian-football.html

He played 14 times fo Australia, but read this bit:

WP:  What is the greatest goal you have ever scored?

MD: I’m not sure about the greatest, but the most memorable is probably from my time at Bath City in England. It was on November 13, 1965, and it was my second goal against Newport County in the FA Cup First Round, when I took the ball over half the length of the field to score and complete a 2-0 win.

Looking at the picture in that post of the Newport County match, can we identify the other City players? Could that be Tony Gough-y? And how long did the stripeless strip last?

Thanks too for reminding me about 'With a Little Bit of Luck' - that tune will always link me to twerton Park, no matter what.

Twerton Park Magic

Back to top Go down

Michael & Pauline Denton Empty Re: Michael & Pauline Denton

Post by cannonball Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Twerton Park Magic wrote:Thanks Beau Nash for this. I don't do Facebook but I think it's a nice suggestion to make.

There's good information on Mike's career at http://walterpless.com.au/2013/january/mike-denton-an-unsung-socceroo-in-tasmanian-football.html

He played 14 times fo Australia, but read this bit:

WP:  What is the greatest goal you have ever scored?

MD: I’m not sure about the greatest, but the most memorable is probably from my time at Bath City in England. It was on November 13, 1965, and it was my second goal against Newport County in the FA Cup First Round, when I took the ball over half the length of the field to score and complete a 2-0 win.

Looking at the picture in that post of the Newport County match, can we identify the other City players? Could that be Tony Gough-y? And how long did the stripeless strip last?

Thanks too for reminding me about 'With a Little Bit of Luck' - that tune will always link me to twerton Park, no matter what.

That's a great photo of a packed Twerton Park for that Newport F.A Cup game which I remember really well. The team coming onto the pitch led by Ian MacFarlane (captain) followed by Tony Gough and Mike Denton and behind him is Billy Horton.

Denton's goal really was memorable scored at the Bath end to secure the famous win.

Also that old tune 'With a little bit of Luck' blasting out over the tannoy in those days still sits with me as well and reminds me of some great games at TP in the 1960's......maybe we should try and get another copy and play it again now!!  bounce
cannonball
cannonball

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:58 pm

cannonball wrote:
Also that old tune 'With a little bit of Luck' blasting out over the tannoy in those days still sits with me as well and reminds me of some great games at TP in the 1960's......maybe we should try and get another copy and play it again now!!  bounce

Just in case you haven't got it, Junior...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz2g6wg68Zg
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:23 am

From Michael Denton Facebook:  Rob, please thank all those at City for their thoughts and good wishes. It is very humbling to be remembered like this. Pauline is home now but faces a string of blood tests etc and has to enter hospital again on January 30 for another round of treatment.. Stuff like this means more than you can imagine to both of us.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:05 pm

I wasn't at that game against County. I was in Bath city centre before the game and a coach full of their supporters passed by. They were all singing their heads off in the great Welsh tradition. I bet it was a much more quiet return trip!
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:18 pm

comrade powell wrote:
cannonball wrote:

It's a belter, get it on Junior. In place of the horrific Wurzels

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:47 pm

Good news from Mike 27 June 2019 - "Pauline saw her Haematologist on Tuesday at Fiona Stanley Hospital and came away with a clean bill of health. Next visit in September...Pauline has now been in remission for a while and the Haematologist is hopeful that will continue but we know there are no guarantees. She still has a little way to go to return to full health but she is able to do some stuff around the place now. Your support is very much appreciated by both of us." bounce
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:44 pm

Palms wrote:
comrade powell wrote:
cannonball wrote:

It's a belter, get it on Junior. In place of the horrific Wurzels

I think it was Stanley Holloway's version that was big from the late 50's on due to him singing it in the Broadway production then the film (in 1964) of 'My Fair Lady'. Not much on telly tonight.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:52 pm

If anyone has an MP3 version feel free to forward on. Could be used as some sort of tribute as this possibly being the last season we see Twerton in its present guise. I’ll forward to the new fella.

According to the Good Book, the first tannoy system was installed in 1935, replacing a band. Not a million miles from the century. We’ll have an announcers reunion - myself, Bob, Phil, Andrew K etc.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down