Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v Oxford

+11
sned
Steve Whites Missus
Ad da
yuffie
2weirdtown
stillmanjunior
SteveS
comrade powell
BenE
sirkev
Luton Roman
15 posters

Go down

City v Oxford  Empty City v Oxford

Post by Luton Roman Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:44 pm

New guy straight in. Frankie back. Compton starts. Watto not in squad. Ball on bench.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

City v Oxford  Empty Re: City v Oxford

Post by Luton Roman Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:45 pm

City win 2-1 from a goal down. Batten and Lucas score. 416 attendance which I think is good considering form, opposition and midweek.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by sirkev Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:17 pm

Thought Luke Southwood was outstanding tonight and needed to be as we were woeful in first half. Great finishes from Jack Batten and Jamie Lucas who worked his socks off tonight. Still think we haven't got the balance right in midfield or defence but we just about didi enough tonight against a poor Oxford team.

sirkev

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:52 pm

The midfield is non existent. Three players stood out Southwood, Batten and Marvin while the rest are struggling to justify their wages.

Oxford weren't poor, they would have been out of sight by half time with some decent finishing and without Southwood saves. They were first to every ball. Is it our fitness? But they were so woeful up front that they even had to rely on us to score for them.

To be fair to Jones he actually had his best half of football but that's not saying much. Straker continues to look dodgy and Amankwaah got away with a decidedly underwhelming performance. Neither Frankie nor Nick look fit but we could only field four substitutes.

It is all so disjointed at present.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:04 pm

Agree with that, sirkev, except for the last three words! I thought that along with Chippenham, Oxford were probably the best team we have faced so far. They ran rings around us in the first half and it was a credit to our defence that we limited them to the single goal.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:16 pm

Thought Oxford were unlucky not to get a point. They played some good football at times and once again keeper saved us from more than one down at half time.
Batten was outstanding at the back. Lucas is starting to show a bit of form, rough edges but at least you can see something there to work with.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:30 pm

BenE wrote:The midfield is non existent.

Probably because they're all injured...
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:36 pm

comrade powell wrote:Agree with that, sirkev, except for the last three words!  I thought that along with Chippenham, Oxford were probably the best team we have faced so far. They ran rings around us in the first half and it was a credit to our defence that we limited them to the single goal.

When we played Oxford two years ago they produced one of the best performances I've seen at Twerton from a team at this level. They played quickly, sharply and had a bit of everything.

Tonight I don't think any of their players remain from the above mentioned game, but they still try and play at the same high intensity. I thought McEachran was excellent. Second half they died off a bit and weren't helped by some woeful set-pieces (and confident handling from Southwood). I'm surprised to see they haven't started at home very well - thought a 3G surface would help their quick game.

Anyway, great character shown again to turn it around. We've already recovered more points from losing positions than the whole of last season, whereas Oxford have thrown away 11 when ahead.

Only plea is to make these wins more comfortable. I've been feeling under the weather today so my headache wasn't likely to vanish with the usual bellows from my mate in the main stand for the last half hour or so.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Pleased to see we have got the result. Given the injuries sustained in the Poole match and bedding in new players, I say well done.

2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:29 am

Agree that, in the first half especially, Oxford were probably the best side we've faced this season.

Second half though we closed them down much more in the midfield and finally began to get the ball out wide. Once again Marvin was superb, winning the corner for the first goal then harrying an Oxford player into a poor ball across the box which lead to the second goal. Lucas still had a lot to do but held the defender off really well before a very composed finish.

The defence was then excellent and whilst I agree that Batten was the pick of them I thought Jones didn't put a foot wrong. It is clear that some fans aren't going to change their opinion that he is a useless overweight **** whatever he does from now on but I think he is improving game by game so perhaps Owers knows a bit more about players than they do.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ad da Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:03 am

That was a game with 2 halves . What ever Gary said at half time he should have said at kick off . Luke had a get good game . Darren Jones had a very good game . Once again jack batten was excellent. On the whole team did very well .

Ad da

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:06 am

yuffie wrote:
The defence was then excellent and whilst I agree that Batten was the pick of them I thought Jones didn't put a foot wrong. It is clear that some fans aren't going to change their opinion that he is a useless overweight **** whatever he does from now on but I think he is improving game by game so perhaps Owers knows a bit more about players than they do.

Jones has been improving game on game and it looked like he did what he was employed for last night. Still looks like a massive bull though!

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:51 am

Early days, but after a difficult first season, I think Big Marv may become something of a cult figure. He seems far more visible in games and already seems to be forging a partnership with Lucas. And he is clearly a character as shown by his post match Q + A in the bar as mom - if you haven't been to one of these, do give it a try.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:41 pm

First half was uninspiring - seemed to be playing 4-4-2 which meant McCootie at right midfield; not his best position! Obviously second half was a lot better - Southwood, Morgan, Jones, Batten, Compton all looked good, could/should have won by more.

If we can get some players back from injury soon I think we're heading in the right direction. Anyone know where Watto and George Rigg were?

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:26 pm

Watto and Rigg were in the bar.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:21 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
BenE wrote:The midfield is non existent.

Probably because they're all injured...

So why bring in another full back instead of a midfielder? Especially as our midfield has been overrun since day one whether fit or not.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:26 pm

yuffie wrote: It is clear that some fans aren't going to change their opinion that he is a useless overweight **** whatever he does from now on but I think he is improving game by game so perhaps Owers knows a bit more about players than they do.

What annoys me about Jones is that he has let himself get so out of condition. He is paid to play football. What is the point of spending all your time in the gym bulking up? When has that ever been a necessity?

Now he is getting fitter he shows that unlike others he can actually jump but he still has the turning circle of a supertanker.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by cannonball Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:10 pm

In the end, after the game on Tuesday, I was a lot more optimistic than I was at half time, having watched a poor, uninspiring performance against Welling on Saturday and then sat through 45mins of watching us given the complete run around by a team in a much lower position than us. I thought Oxford were excellent 1st half and a couple of their players were top class in midfield and we just couldn't get near them.

However, 2nd half we managed to claw our way back into it with Morgan again very prominent and Jamie Lucas - who I had not been impressed with so far - gradually showing some form with a very well taken goal and a willingness to run his socks off to try and close defenders down.

Great displays again by the more confident Southwood, Batten and to a lesser degree Compton who has the quality to spot a pass and put in a telling cross. Amankwaah was steady and I assume will improve as he settles in, but will want to forget his debut for obvious reasons and dare I say it... but Darren Jones is starting to get fitter at last and his timing is returning to go with the 'hard as nails' persona he portrays....quite successfully I have to say!

It is just a real shame all round that he didn't start the season fitter and as BenE commented upon earlier in this post, surely as a professional - and captain - he should be responsible for turning up fit and ready to rock at his new club, but he missed most of the pre-season for whatever reason and consequently we as a team suffered for it against Chippenham as the ultra fit & extremely mobile Dave Pratt & the very tricky Andy Sandell ripped him and the rest of the defence to pieces......that could & should have been avoided. Such a shame with the big crowd that night who all went away afterwards not to return any time soon.

To be completely fair to Gary Owers.... to have Lemonheigh-Evans, Artus, Murphy & Watkins all out injured in a 'blink of an eye' and McCootie obviously not 100% fit, was cruel luck and upset the team hugely as it took out 4/5 of our more creative and skilful players, but there are signs that we are recovering from that shock now and if we can improve the entertainment at home and get a couple of convincing wins, a few of the 'fringe supporters' will gradually come back because it is all about the product on the pitch when all is said and done.

If we can get 3 points on Saturday at lowly Concord and a point (or 3) at Hungerford on Monday the table will look very encouraging indeed....can we do it?!!  Very Happy
cannonball
cannonball

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Totally agree with your summary Canon.

I think we can get 4 points over the weekend and 17 points from 11 is an ok start. Can build from there.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:54 pm

I hope club management at all levels are taking on board comments from the sage that is cannonball. study
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down