Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Havant v City

+11
LB
comrade powell
kermit
stillmanjunior
the demon headmaster
2weirdtown
Beau Nash
BenE
eastender
Marc Monitor
Luton Roman
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Havant  v City - Page 2 Empty Re: Havant v City

Post by Ashley Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Didn't the thanking of away fans start in the conference years when teams like Luton were bringing hundreds of fans? I think it's quite a nice touch personally.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:11 pm

[quote="stillmanjunior"]
comrade powell wrote:It isn't meant to be patronising, and the only times I haven't done it is when I think it could spark a negative reaction, i.e. a local side.

You did it against Chippenham though (and rightly so with how many they brought), didn't you? I seem to remember that that went down well with both sets of supporters. Mind you, Chippenham were in quite celebratory mood by then, I suppose.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:45 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:
stillmanjunior wrote:
comrade powell wrote:It isn't meant to be patronising, and the only times I haven't done it is when I think it could spark a negative reaction, i.e. a local side.

You did it against Chippenham though (and rightly so with how many they brought), didn't you? I seem to remember that that went down well with both sets of supporters. Mind you, Chippenham were in quite celebratory mood by then, I suppose.

No, I didn't! I have no beef with Chippenham, nor their support that night. Just thought our fans would be in no mood to congratulate the opposition.

It'll be back on Saturday.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:52 pm

Oh, apologies. I thought I heard the attendance announced with the usual thanking of away supporters beforehand.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-chris Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:38 pm

I think it is a nice touch to thank the visiting fans and would not like it to be stopped just because of a few miserable individuals who happen to take it the wrong way.
Midsomer-chris
Midsomer-chris

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:31 am

Quite agree, Chris. And Ashley is right about it starting when we were in Conf Prem. For me one of the few redeeming features of some of those grounds we visited was the applauding of away fans. In most cases this wasn't encouraged by the Tannoy person, but a result of him announcing the number of travelling fans as we had used a separate turnstile to be corralled in a corner of the ground!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:38 am

Midsomer-chris wrote:I think it is a nice touch to thank the visiting fans and would not like it to be stopped just because of a few miserable individuals who happen to take it the wrong way.

I'm happy to do it for every match, only reasons I haven't aren't because of sour grapes, it's just because I don't think it'd be roundly appreciated by our fans sometimes. I don't want people booed/mocked for having the commitment in following their team.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:42 am

I had no problems taking pictures on Saturday although I was asked for my license number for the first time in quite a while. Luckily (for everyone in the ground) I wasn't asked to wear the same clothes as Havant's photographer.

Havant  v City - Page 2 36282499080_d812655b97_z

Havant also had an issue with one of my match previews (though not to Crawley's level!) and in retaliation refused to exchange programmes with Bas. That taught me a lesson!

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:25 pm

I thought that was you taking the photo.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:39 pm

I would never wear a cap back to front.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:20 pm

It sounded as though Frankie had a good game on Saturday. This augurs well because we need him at the top of his game.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:47 pm

comrade powell wrote:Quite agree, Chris. And Ashley is right about it starting when we were in Conf Prem. For me one of the few redeeming features of some of those grounds we visited was the applauding of away fans. In most cases this wasn't encouraged by the Tannoy person, but a result of him announcing the number of travelling fans as we had used a separate turnstile to be corralled in a corner of the ground!

My favourite 2 of those are both from the relegation season. Darlington where there were 15 of us in a 25,000 seater stadium, and Grimsby - 0-6 down, in Grimsby, in January. Happy days....

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:57 pm

The first time I can remember the away attendance being announced was us at Grimsby in the cup. We were warmly applauded.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:57 pm

No, I'm sure it was 21st January 2000, away to Grantham. They were such a welcoming bunch, and warmly applauded us all, especially Sascha, after Zamora's 2nd goal. Those halcyon days of peace and love on the terraces harking back to the Shed at Stamford Bridge in the late 60's.
Such a shame they got relegated on goal difference at the end of the season.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:27 am

Apart from his legendary soup, my abiding memory of Sascha at an away match was the way he stood his ground against that Grantham thug who must have lost so much face in front of his mates!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Now stop trying to coax me back onto this forum Mr Kermit and Mr Powell, actually it looks  as though you have, just this once.

I certainly remember those morons at Grantham.
Always ready to keep the peace and prevent any trouble.

Thanks for the memories

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2