Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern Irish groundhopper

5 posters

Go down

Northern Irish groundhopper Empty Northern Irish groundhopper

Post by Glentoran-Andy Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:47 pm

I'm not sure this is the correct section to post this on but we'll go with it.

My wife and I fancy ourselves some sort of amateur groundhoppers. We would base a lot of our holidays around grounds we haven't visited before. This week we spent our honeymoon in Weymouth. We were flying back to Belfast this evening via Bristol airport and decided to call through Bath for a spot of shopping before we left. I spent the morning talking the wife into calling past Bath City FC before we left. I honestly have to say I am yet to find a friendlier bunch than yourselves. On arrival, we just missed the Bristol City Under 20s game, a blonde haired lady came out of the office to ensure we were ok. Upon explaining where we were from she invited us into the club shop. I managed to purchase an away shirt. She then took us through the office to show us the lounges and took us into the main stand were she told us to have a wonder around the ground. I would like to thank this lady for the welcome and opportunity to view the ground, she is an absolute credit to your club and has left me with a major soft spot for Bath City Football Club. Never have we been made to feel so welcome at a club.

On the ground itself, it has such a charm about it. I mentioned to my wife that it felt like home away from home. Locally in Belfast, I am a Glentoran FC season ticket holder and the ground is very like an Irish league ground.

So guys I just wanted to say thank you. I will definitely be looking out for your results in future.

Andy

Glentoran-Andy

Back to top Go down

Northern Irish groundhopper Empty Re: Northern Irish groundhopper

Post by Manchester Romans Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:10 am

Glad you had a warm welcome. We have quite a few Northern Irish connections, including players such as Paddy Sloan, Jimmy Nicholl (very briefly), and Mark McKeever.

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:50 am

Manchester Romans wrote:Glad you had a warm welcome. We have quite a few Northern Irish connections, including players such as Paddy Sloan, Jimmy Nicholl (very briefly), and Mark McKeever.
Matt...don't forget another even briefer than Jimmy Nicholl's 55 minutes. We signed Belfast born Frank McMahon for the, at the time, considerable sum of £7000.......he only lasted 13 minutes!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:05 am

Ah yes, he was always described in the programme pen pictures as 'the flame-haired Irishman Frank McMahon'.

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbo_b-o-a Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:27 pm

Nice one Andy, I'm pleased you enjoyed yourself.

I have been to the Oval and have to say it is one of the world's great beauties. Also had a very warm welcome in the Harland & Wolff Welders Club after the match so I always look out for Glentoran scores too.
Timbo_b-o-a
Timbo_b-o-a

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks for posting this, Andy! We might not be the world's best on the pitch but we're proud of our reputation for being a friendly, welcoming club and I've copied your post to Carole who looked after you.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down