Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This week's fan's View - Can we play at the Rec?

+2
yuffie
pete mac
6 posters

Go down

This week's fan's View - Can we play at the Rec? Empty This week's fan's View - Can we play at the Rec?

Post by pete mac Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:46 am

The Rec has to be a real option for us?

http://bathcityfansview.blogspot.co.uk/

pete mac

Back to top Go down

This week's fan's View - Can we play at the Rec? Empty Re: This week's fan's View - Can we play at the Rec?

Post by yuffie Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:19 am

To my mind the recent decision over the size of footprint the rugby club can use is another nail in the coffin of the Rec ever being redeveloped.

I agree that in an ideal world we could share a newly built stadium there but I think the best plan would be to use all the land currently occupied by the Rec, sports centre, Pavilion and cricket club and build a complex that really does encompass a wide range of sports. The best arrangement for us would be a two-sided main stand that sits between two grounds - a 15-20,000 all seater on one side for the rugby and 4-5,000 with terracing on three sides for us. In the event of a big FA Cup game we could use the larger stadium and the rugby could use the smaller one for second team games.

The sports centre desperately needs rebuilding and add a new concert venue that Bath is crying out for plus a new cricket ground for BCCC and Bath finally has a venue to be proud of. I don't think it needs to be big enough to hold Somerset games there as they clearly don't want to play in Bath anymore.

I realise there are so many stumbling blocks (cost, parking (underground?), the small matter of the road that runs up the middle and (not least) the fact that any development in Bath gets so many complaints which drags the process out years and years) to a plan like this that  it will never happen but you can always dream.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

This week's fan's View - Can we play at the Rec? Empty Re: This week's fan's View - Can we play at the Rec?

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:25 am

Yes, in a word. If we can't stay at Twerton, which I really want us to. The Rec is the only other option. We get a well/possibly better-placed stadium with the best deal for us financially. Odd Down and Lansdown are too far away and would kill the club. It would reduce the 500 crowds that we get now not improve on them.

It would also be right for the City to have the other major sports club there as well. Bath Rugby seem to think it is their domain and it isn't. However, I could never countenance joining the two clubs. There are many many cities and towns that have rugby and football clubs sharing stadiums as completely different entities.

Having said all this, we should fight tooth and nail to stay at Twerton Park and not give it up without looking at every single option to stay there (of which I am sure there are still many).
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

This week's fan's View - Can we play at the Rec? Empty Link

Post by pete mac Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:00 pm

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:35 pm

I've a nasty feeling the rugby will play the 'you need us more than we need you' card to the council and eventually get their way

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:43 pm

The Council are not the decision makers here as far as I understand it. It's the Charity Commission and they have ruled that Bath Rugby can't go outside their existing footprint. The Rec Trust is going to appeal to the Tribunal and that might open up possibilities for City?

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:47 pm

i agree that a move into the town centre could transform our club. although i like yuffie's idea of the 2 clubs sharing a back to back facility, i think it would need a huge amount of pressure before bath rugby would go along with that idea. it will be interesting to see how much patience brucie will show re the latest developments and my prediction is that his club will eventually move out of the city. the propaganda re the effect on local businesses will then presumably lead to melt down.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:52 pm

I can see a radical plan from Yuffers which has merit.  

Public transport in Bath is a disgrace and will need a seed change to make access to the Rec viable for 20k + spectators.  The traffic planners have made a complete mess of almost everything...Bathwick, Widcombe, London Road etc. Rolling Eyes 

I do have concerns about a "lung" of the city being overdeveloped BUT as my plan for the Stothert & Pitt ground has fallen on mostly deaf ears, see no other option.  

Odd Down or Lansdown are not only difficult to access but they have a micro climate different to the lower parts of Bath which could be problematic.

I fear, unless there is found some way to change our worsening financial situation, the long term future at TP looks bleak.  Sad
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:55 pm

Yuffie's plan is original but will never happen as, apart from keeping a distinction between the clubs, no-one would think there was any need for an adjacent pitch when Bath City - both team and fans - can both fit into the Rec as it is existing. Our argument is that, without a smaller ground, we will rattle around but that won't make any headway. No-one else will see that as important. Also, it completely ruins the rest of the Rec for any other sports who should be accommodated as much as possible.

Again, Beau, the S & P ground is just that bit too far away for a lot of the extra supporters that we want to pick up and some that attend now. If they can't walk there, it is a real turn-off. The Rec is that bit further but still walkable for many and, perhaps, nearer for some.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:16 pm

I don't think "walking" should be that much of a factor.

I walk as much as I can as should anyone who lives a "sedate" lifestyle.  It is about 20 minutes from my "Dukedom" to TP and about 25 to the Rec;  I often walk into town.

The advantages of the S & P ground was the ease of access by road AND the railway nearby...although I accept the viability of a railway stop would need more such as a park and ride but otherwise it could work.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:44 pm

Beau Nash wrote: I don't think "walking" should be that much of a factor.

I walk as much as I can as should anyone who lives a "sedate" lifestyle.  It is about 20 minutes from my "Dukedom" to TP and about 25 to the Rec;  I often walk into town.

Indeed, as do I, but I tend to want to walk along a route with pubs if I am going to football and the Globe at the end of a dual carriage way isn't quite the same and I think many will feel the same way. What I would say is that going to S & P may forge better links with Bath Spa Uni but it is quite a gamble. If you put a park and ride next to the ground, it may be a more viable reason than 500+ football supporters every other week. Certainly, the supporters haven't been a reason for Twerton-on-Avon to re-open.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down