Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Price Freeze Welcome - This week's fan's View

+7
Luton Roman
Mark Tanner
BenE
Marc Monitor
stillmanjunior
Beau Nash
pete mac
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Price Freeze Welcome - This week's fan's View Empty Price Freeze Welcome - This week's fan's View

Post by pete mac Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:35 am

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Price Freeze Welcome - This week's fan's View Empty Re: Price Freeze Welcome - This week's fan's View

Post by Beau Nash Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:16 am

As usual Pete has hit a lot of nails firmly on the head.

"The smart money is on an economic decline post 2015."  When was the economic recovery...no sign of it for tens of millions suffering under cuts to public services, social welfare benefits and pensions?  Evil or Very Mad 

Any increase in ticket prices would have meant even lower attendances;  I still feel admission costs and other things like bar prices and the match day programme need a price cut of at least a third; and I appreciate the effect that may have on overall finances.  pale

I have made suggestions to the board which are being considered so hopefully we can ALL put our thinking caps on; any ideas ought to generate "constructive" critique.
 Question
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Price Freeze Welcome - This week's fan's View Empty Re: Price Freeze Welcome - This week's fan's View

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm off to the bookies - I had a tenner on Rob replying first at odds of 1/100 Smile

Sorry that the content in the programme isn't worth the price it is sold for, which I believe isn't the most expensive in the league. And as far as I'm aware Minuteman do us a great deal.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Everything to me is fine apart from the chips. £2 for chips?
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:44 pm

I think the match day programme is excellent and beer prices OK with the loyalty scheme.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:53 pm

I think of it like this.

An extra £1 on ticket prices would bring in £12000.

Would that amount make a difference to the playing squad? I would hope so.

Would I benefit from that? If the club made a more realistic challenge on the title next season then undoubtedly.

I wouldn't mind paying an extra £1. Maybe I'll just pay £25 into the pledge.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:52 pm

It's a great move by the club to keep season tickets and gate prices the same. I'd love to see the early rates extended, I think they did that by a few weeks this season?

£200 for a full season's football is great value and a decent price point that we should try and keep the same for the next 5 years say, regardless of which league we are in (hopefully conf prem). That way people can get used to the price. That way with under 16s tickets at £30 then for £50 a parent could buy their child's ticket for two seasons in one go. The renewal will then be send out to their house, with a say £10 discount for an adult season ticket at the same time.

It's nice to think the playing budget will be swelled but the real way of looking at it is how many are sold. The more sold the better atmosphere and experience for new fans during the season. Then it will be seen as the norm for adults and kids alike to invest in a year or two year ticket every season (or other season). This makes it cheaper for people coming to the game and that £15 they were going to spend will hopefully be spent inside the ground, on supporters groups or in the bar.

Don't forget gate money on equates to roughly 30% of the total revenue of a football club. The other 70% is made up on bar sales mainly. Also a packed out popular side looks a lot better to sponsors than a crowd of under 600. Bob Chester's job would be a lot easier if he took a sponsor to look over a ground with 1,000 plus each week, 500-600 with season tickets.

I won't even mention merchandise otherwise it'll be a even bigger post!
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Christ just read the small print on the season ticket forms. Under 16s get a free ticket when an adult buys a ticket! This needs to get into the local press asap, that is a great deal! That should be celebrated not put in small print at the end.
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:15 pm

I too think the matchday programme is an excellent read. Bought one on Saturday and was impressed by the number of well written articles, the wide range of advertisers, the insight into the Community Day, the reminder of the number of sponsors involved with the Club as well as the timely prompt to get involved for next season (I'm sure the Exiles will, count me in) and the general layout and presentation. Well done to all involved.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:05 pm

Mark Tanner wrote:Christ just read the small print on the season ticket forms. Under 16s get a free ticket when an adult buys a ticket! This needs to get into the local press asap, that is a great deal! That should be celebrated not put in small print at the end.

Is that right? Excellent. I will get the boy one.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:16 am

Yeah that'll be good Marc, we should make sure this message gets around. Just a touch over £200 for a whole season of football for parents and child with free drinks vouchers and priority on FA Cup tickets!
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:14 am

Luton Roman wrote:I too think the matchday programme is an excellent read. Bought one on Saturday and was impressed by the number of well written articles, the wide range of advertisers, the insight into the Community Day, the reminder of the number of sponsors involved with the Club as well as the timely prompt to get involved for next season (I'm sure the Exiles will, count me in) and the general layout and presentation. Well done to all involved.

Thanks

Layout and presentation is nowt to do with me. Simon does the cover designs/headers, and Matt Harpham re-arranges the text/pics which I send over. I'll only take credit for the sidebars as that was my idea, ha.

A lot of the compliments need to be directed to others. For example the Community Day, if nobody had agreed to answer a few questions about it we wouldn't have an article, it'd just be an idea in my head. Too many people to thank for helping out for things like that, it's not just all the regular contributors (who've been fantastic by the way). The players, and some ex-players, have also been extremely co-operative with articles, notably Tony Ricketts who wrote about 1000 words about the Stoke game.

My main aim is to make it different, a lot of programmes just have things listed from the Internet or those Non-League Paper pieces about nothing to do with their club. I'd personally rather spend an hour or two coming up with something original than resort to using one of those. Make it worth the price of the programme, and I'm glad to hear people do appreciate that.

That all said I'm glad I only have one left to do for a few months as I can relax on Wednesdays more!
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerP Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:38 am

Hello

1. Season tickets : I've had one for a few seasons and think they are good value. I have had one of the 'free' ones for my son for the last two seasons; obviously a great way of getting him along. He comes to most games now and likes the idea of having his season ticket. Having said that, paying £3 for one of his mates of they want to come along doesn't put me off either. Overall the cost for 2 hours is cheaper than just about anything else you might have to pay for.

2. Programme

I always buy one but that is partly due to the fact that buying a programme has always been part of the ritual of going to a football match for me, and as a lad I was a collector. Also, I see my £2.50 as being a small contribution to the club. In these days when you can get most of the info for free via the web, programmes are less easy to justify. It must be hard to come up with content that can't easily be found elsewhere. In our programme I do enjoy the historical articles and interviews etc.

I've always wondered why there is no column from one of the management team or one of the players; something along the lines of 'life as a semi pro' footballer would be worth reading (as long as it had a bit more to say than 'the lads done well').

Regards
RogerP
RogerP

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:46 am

That's fair enough. I'll try and do an article or two next season with the players about a standard matchday/week for a part-time footballer. I think this season is the first time in a while we've had a regular thing with the players (the Take 5 stuff) and I only intended for that to be now and again, but they've been extremely co-operative.

A lot of it is time constraints. Working full-time aside from the programme means it's tricky to carry out regular interviews, I try and do them via email/Facebook but in some cases that's impossible. I'll speak to Arch in the close season to see if he'd like to provide anything.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:34 am

stillmanjunior wrote:...Sorry that the content in the programme isn't worth the price it is sold for...

Hmm...Where did I say that?  I didn't.

I think ALL other clubs programmes, if of a similar price, are also too expensive.

On content, I only have the one from the Community Day and I liked it.  Smile 

This topic has reminded me of something so watch for a small change in a detail of the match day programme for next season specifically down to me.  bounce
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:53 am

Beau Nash wrote:
Any increase in ticket prices would have meant even lower attendances;  I still feel admission costs and other things like bar prices and the match day programme need a price cut of at least a third; and I appreciate the effect that may have on overall finances.  pale

so where will the shortfall be made up?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:07 pm

The "shortfall" will hopefully be made up by many things including:

1. Players, especially part-time but also full-time, need to think long and hard about how much their contracts cost.
2. Attendance increases with lower admission costs and ALL the benefits to other revenue areas by total "fans" spend increasing.
3. Continual monitoring of costs and changing suppliers so as to obtain best value.
4. The way activities are managed, there is usually room for improvement.

I could make a very long list in detail but as I am not in a position to do anything about it AND as I am now away for the rest of the day will return to this topic certainly in the close season if not before.

My comments apply to many clubs not just Bath City FC.

Innovative thinking is already showing benefits for us and it is something that has to be ongoing and yes I appreciate implementation takes both a lot of hard work and time. With a basic core of 500 regular supporters most people could do something to help, and probably would, if asked.

Thank you comrade Troll.
 Laughing
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:25 pm

Without the facts at our fingertips we cannot say what effect the pricing of our game has on attendances or revenues.

I would be interested to know what we actually made through the gate on Community Day. I recognise that there will be added benefits in terms of spend within the ground ie MobBQ pay a percentage based on attendance.

Did the Tea bar takings improve that day?

While I agree that entrance costs into football grounds is expensive in relation to say Germany it isn't as expensive as going to a concert or the theatre. For instance The Witches of Eastwick being perfomed by a local group that you might equate with Bath City costs £30 for the most expensive seats. You pay £10 to see a film at the cinema.

Why do people think football should be performed on the cheap?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:54 pm

To be honest, if I thought watching us was so over-priced, or buying a programme was, or buying food at the ground, I wouldn't do any of them. That's all. Simple as that. I don't think our club set out to rip people off but if my circumstances meant I couldn't afford to games, I wouldn't go to them. Same as I'd love a nicer place to live or drive a nicer car - I can't afford either so am content with what I've got. There are people worse off than me.

I'd rather not go to games than they cut the admission fee by £2 just so I could go now and again - the club would suffer in the long run as they'd have less money to play players for playing at a higher level, or less budget for the other things needed to help run a Football Club. It's a ripple effect. I'd feel a bit selfish that we weren't doing as well because I want things cheaper for me. I'd rather we were no lower than this level really.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:04 pm

Certainly a city the size of Bath and with Bath's resources ought to be able to maintain a team at this level as a minimum.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:11 pm

Beau Nash wrote:The "shortfall" will hopefully be made up by many things including:

1. Players, especially part-time but also full-time, need to think long and hard about how much their contracts cost.
and you've got knowledge of their contract details?
2. Attendance increases with lower admission costs and ALL the benefits to other revenue areas by total "fans" spend increasing.  if you say so - I'm not convinced this is the case, so await your figures to back up that claim.
3. Continual monitoring of costs and changing suppliers so as to obtain best value.  and you think those at the club are not already doing this?
4. The way activities are managed, there is usually room for improvement.  waffle!

I could make a very long list in detail but as I am not in a position to do anything about it AND as I am now away for the rest of the day will return to this topic certainly in the close season if not before.  why not return to it when you get back from your day out, rather than keeping us in suspense until the summer? you obviously have expertise in this area and hopefully will make it available to the club...

My comments apply to many clubs not just Bath City FC.

Innovative thinking is already showing benefits for us and it is something that has to be ongoing and yes I appreciate implementation takes both a lot of hard work and time. With a basic core of 500 regular supporters most people could do something to help, and probably would, if asked.   so are you saying that admission costs, programme and drinks could be reduced by a third if the club could attract even more voluntary assistance than it already does?

Thank you comrade Troll.
 Laughing  no, I wasn't trolling, just wondering if you had given any thought to your previous post.  
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:44 pm

Maybe someone that has a bit more spare time than me can work out how many people extra we'd need if the costs were down by 1/3.

Very roughly - if we take gates of 600 and everyone paying £12 we'd need a gate of 900 to get the same income, not gonna happen.

Obviously this is a crude working that doesn't count season tickets and concessions.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Price Freeze Welcome - This week's fan's View Empty Debate

Post by pete mac Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:01 pm

having started the debate off I feel the need to say that I welcomed the price freeze as a good response to the pressure on people's pockets. I am not sure a price cut is realistic. We need to compete. Maybe some playing budget specific fundraising where people can contribute that way......

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:35 pm

And the pledge in particular.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by marquess of weston Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:38 pm

BenE wrote:

Did the Tea bar takings improve that day?

Yes about £100 up

marquess of weston

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next