Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potter Bar Town FA Cup

+13
OliverH
James C
SASCHA
Luton Roman
Roman Mike
yuffie
kermit
stillmanjunior
comrade powell
pete mac
Sir Ged Roddy
Ashley
Beau Nash
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Potter Bar Town FA Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Potter Bar Town FA Cup

Post by BenE Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:53 pm

Hope GO can get the team in the right frame of mind today. Since I have been supporting  City we have consistently struggled against lower league teams.

Don't under estimate the opposition who will be up for it.

Go the Stripes
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:49 pm

Only 4 on the bench. What happened to Andrew Elcock?

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:04 pm

Listened to the commentary and have to say it was a very nervous listen - kept getting the feeling that Potters Bar were going to nick a goal at the end.

Hopefully Tuesday won''t be a repeat of last season against Harlow - hopefully having Nick McCootie back will make a difference.

At least we are in the draw on Monday - Hampton, Hungerford and St Albans (6-0 at home) all went out to teams from lower leagues.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:19 pm

St Albans won 6-0 but feeling better that others have gone and it cd have been us. Anyone who saw the E Thurrock or Harlow games wd have recognised this performance. So poor Owers came over and apologised to the vast City numbers for that rubbish.
Dominated first 20m but played in front of their defence without much penetration. Their keeper played well. Couple of good saves in 1st half and looked comfortable throughout. After our initial burst they got confident and began to create better chances.2nd half more of the same with City relieved to still be in the Cup.
Man of the Match? Without doubt the vast numbers of City fans who tripled the average gate and kept a noisy barrage until the dross in front of us finally silenced them.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:25 pm

Didn't really think the St Albans score could be right - I really must remember not to believe the BBC Sport website!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:32 pm

Yes, I wondered when I say the St Albans score. But Taunton 2 Hampton 1 was correct so a big shock there. Important thing is we are still in it and hopefully Nick will be back and give them something to think about on Tuesday. He has given his all this season and much improved. Was Fleetwood any better today? Going on his performances to date if there was no improvement we would effectively have been playing with 10 men.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Gerry hits the nail on the head. All in all a pretty dismal performance but at least we didn't lose. Nick was suspended today so will be back Tuesday and should get some success against their defence. City will have have to be much better to avoid another Harlow/Supermarine....

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:05 pm

SteveS wrote:Was Fleetwood any better today?

Not really, no. He had one decent effort, after a very well-worked short-corner*, but after that was largely anonymous, albeit playing wide right which I don't think is ever going to suit him.

After the first 20 minutes when we looked totally in control it was a fairly even, but low quality game from both sides. Either could have nicked late on but that would have been undeserved.

It was an odd game in that despite how poorly we played they never looked like raising their game to take advantage of that. I guess having no real support to speak of didn't help - certainly compared to Harlow last season who were helped by very vocal backing at their place in particular. Of course, the longer the game stayed goalless the more nervy we got but, as I say, it would have been unjust for either side to have won it.

Based on that, and with Nick back, we really should see them off in the replay. And, yes, I realise this comment could come back to haunt me.

*not a comment I ever thought I'd make about us.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:48 pm

Potters Bar were the 7th lower level team we've drawn in the cup/trophy in the past 3 seasons and only Bodmin were beaten at the first attempt. Are we badly prepared, complacent or what? You expect the lower team to raise their game in these ties but PB seemed as lethargic as us today. Hopefully Monday's draw will provide motivation for the replay - another unattractive away game may have the opposite effect.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:07 pm

I had the song "I got you babe" stuck in my head after the game. All these cup ties against lower league opponents are similar affairs. First 20 minutes we looked by far the better side, the gap between the divisions then was evident. After then it was pretty even and I'm glad to have a replay in the end.

Beyond frustrating that we can't make life easy against lower league teams. Only original tie I can think of in recent years was Bridgwater where we cruised through. Because of our position we're likely to play opponents ranked down the pyramid. To be honest I'd fancy our chances more against someone in the level above...
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:18 pm

Yes so would I
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content