Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hemel Hempstead Town (1)1 Bath City (0)1

+6
kermit
2weirdtown
comrade powell
the demon headmaster
Sir Ged Roddy
Kelston Koppite
10 posters

Go down

Hemel Hempstead Town (1)1  Bath City (0)1 Empty Hemel Hempstead Town (1)1 Bath City (0)1

Post by Kelston Koppite Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:00 am

Bath City salvaged a point from their encounter at Vauxhall Road, home of Hemel Hempstead Town, with a last gasp Dan Bowman equaliser after the hosts had led the match from the 5th minute. It was no more than The Romans deserved for their second half endeavours, culminating in a latter stage siege on the Town goal.

The game commenced with City playing down the slope, but with a keen wind in their faces, and it was The Tudors who applied the early pressure.  There was a speculative shot by Eliot Richards from distance in the 3rd minute, but it was badly under hit and was nonchalantly collected by home keeper Jamie Butler.

Two minutes later Hemel were in front following a low cross from the right by the lively Dennis Oli, and Graeme Montgomery turned the ball high into the net from close range via the underside of the crossbar.

The hosts continued to push forward, and Sean Shields blazed wildly over the bar from the edge of the box after finding himself in space.  Despite their ascendancy, Town were grateful to Butler for producing an excellent diving save to repel Richards’ curling shot from 20 yards.

The City defence were looking susceptible to the long ball over the top, and Oli almost profited on 19 minutes when he beat Steve Phillips to such a delivery, but saw his back header drop narrowly wide of the post.  Four minutes later, Jamie Slabber skipped beyond a couple of challenges and slid his shot past Phillips from a tight angle, only for the outstanding Dan Ball to clear off the goal-line.

The home side won a free kick in a dangerous position following a Richards’ challenge, and Michael Richens’s powerful effort was brilliantly turned away by Phillips.  A further opportunity presented itself in the 29th minute when Andy Gallinagh was penalized and cautioned for a foul on Oli, albeit that the Cityman was blatantly pushed in the back by the attacker in the immediate build up.  Ben Hurd’s resulting shot was blocked by the defensive wall, and hopeful home appeals for handball were waved aside by the referee, Mr. Josh Smith of Lincolnshire.

The unmarked Oli headed over the bar following a cross from the right, but his blushes were spared by an offside flag.  The same player found himself with a clear sight of goal on 37 minutes after another long ball forward but, this time, he lifted the ball over Phillips and on to the roof of the net.

City were struggling to mount any concerted attacks on the Hemel goal, but Liam Kelly struck a firm shot that forced Butler into a useful diving save, palming the ball away to safety in the process.

The final action of the half saw Andy Watkins’ volleyed effort fly high and wide after Bowman’s cross had only been partially cleared.

Chas Hemmings replaced the injured Richards ahead of the restart, and his introduction would prove to have a considerable influence on the balance of play.  His installation in front of the back four provided the side with a more solid base, and he continually sprayed the ball across the field with unerring accuracy.

Shortly after the resumption Kelly exchanged passes with Dave Pratt, and unleashed a swerving shot that Butler did well to beat away.  

The visitors were enjoying the greater share of possession and territorial advantage but, at this stage, were unable to put the Town defence under serious pressure.  Brad Williams replaced Watkins on the hour mark, and City almost found an equaliser within a minute when Kelly slipped the ball through to Pratt, but Butler made an excellent blocking save at the striker’s feet.

The hosts were now taking every opportunity to slow the game down and waste time, with Butler being the main protagonist, and the referee did precious little to improve matters.

Frankie Artus sliced a shot wide of the target from the edge of the box, and the home side produced a rare effort at goal on 71 minutes, but Montgomery’s cross shot rolled wide of Phillips’ far post.

Hemel were now being pinned back deep in their own half and Artus was again wide with an optimistic shot from 25 yards.  However, Bath were desperately unlucky not to restore parity with seven minutes left on the clock.  Danny Greenslade found Kelly with a precise through ball into the box, and the midfielder watched in disbelief as his clever lob beat Butler but dropped agonizingly wide of the far post.

As full time approached, Kelly delivered a searching cross into the home area that was met with a glancing header from Pratt, but the ball flew straight into Butler’s grateful arms.

Just as it seemed that the afternoon would end in frustration for the visitors Greenslade lifted a 93rd minute cross into a crowded goalmouth.  Williams failed to make a clean connection, but the ball fell to Bowman 6 yards from goal, and the full back hammered his shot high into the corner of the net beyond Butler’s despairing dive.

The final whistle was greeted with joy by the City players and their band of travelling supporters, no doubt feeling a huge sense of justice given the home side’s antics in the latter stages.  Whilst the hosts would point to the fact that they could, and probably should, have been out of sight by half time, the spirit and determination shown by Gary Owers’ charges after the break meant that a draw was undoubtedly the rightful outcome.  They will need to show the same resolution at Twerton Park on Tuesday evening if they are to overcome perennial bogey side Gosport Borough.

Hemel Hempstead Town: Jamie Butler, Ben Hurd, Jack Kelly, Dennis Oli (Adam Bailey-Dennis 81), Ollie Thorne, Reiss Greenidge, Sean Shields (Harry Hickford 56), Michael Richens, James Potton, Jamie Slabber (Adam Morgan 84), Graeme Montgomery.  Subs not used: Terrell Forbes, Jack Smith

Bath City: Steve Phillips, Dan Bowman, Danny Greenslade, Andy Gallinagh, Dan Ball, Billy Murphy, Frankie Artus, Liam Kelly, Eliot Richards (Chas Hemmings 46), Dave Pratt, Andy Watkins (Brad Williams 60), Subs not used: Ashley Kington, Sekani Simpson.

Referee: Mr. Josh Smith.

Attendance: 358

Last edited by Kelston Koppite on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Hemel Hempstead Town (1)1  Bath City (0)1 Empty Re: Hemel Hempstead Town (1)1 Bath City (0)1

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:22 am

Welcome back Koppite! A great report

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Hemel Hempstead Town (1)1  Bath City (0)1 Empty Re: Hemel Hempstead Town (1)1 Bath City (0)1

Post by the demon headmaster Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:36 am

Indeed a great report. It brings back all the excitement and tension of yesterday. I can't remember the last time I saw substitutions make such a dramatic impact on the game. Right people, right places and with enough time to make a difference.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Kelston Koppite wrote:Bath City salvaged a point from their encounter at Vauxhall Road, home of Hemel Hempstead Town, with a last gasp Dan Bowman equaliser after the hosts had led the match from the 5th minute.

Yes, welcome back, KK!

Can you please clarify something, on which the destination of this season's forum betting competition title hangs! Have you based the time of the Hemel goal on that which was shown on the electronic scoreboard? Unless the match started late, I cannot believe the goal came in the 5th minute. I watched the opening exchanges from the side and had moved behind the goal for at least two minutes before their goal. Others thought it was more like the 6th or even 7th, while the local Hemel paper reports it as the 6th.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelston Koppite Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:20 pm

comrade powell wrote:
Kelston Koppite wrote:Bath City salvaged a point from their encounter at Vauxhall Road, home of Hemel Hempstead Town, with a last gasp Dan Bowman equaliser after the hosts had led the match from the 5th minute.

Yes, welcome back, KK!

Can you please clarify something, on which the destination of this season's forum betting competition title hangs! Have you based the time of the Hemel goal on that which was shown on the electronic scoreboard? Unless the match started late, I cannot believe the goal came in the 5th minute. I watched the opening exchanges from the side and had moved behind the goal for at least two minutes before their goal. Others thought it was more like the 6th or even 7th, while the local Hemel paper reports it as the 6th.

Yes, I was going by the 'stadium' clock in the first half which was showing '5' at the time of the goal. So I guess that 5 minutes had gone and that the goal was therefore scored in the 6th minute. Not sure if that helps or not.

Of course, it was not an issue in the second half as the clock appeared to have given up the ghost!

An enjoyable day in the end. At the final whistle, I couldn't decide if I was more happy that City had got a point, or that Hemel's time wasting tactics had not succeeded. I have witnessed some pretty appalling time wasting over the years, but yesterday was certainly a masterful demonstration of the art by the home side!
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:46 pm

Thanks Kevin. I can confirm that the goal was scored in the 6th minute - listening to a re-run of the radio commentary, the goal comes after 5' 15"!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Good to see Bowman start a game. Absolutely delighted he got a goal. Hopefully he'll become an established first choice for the starting 11.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:49 pm

I assumed the clock was sponsored by Sainsburys for the second half. It displayed the name of their clothing range......tu.
Or maybe it was for the benefit of the Town keeper...times up.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:52 pm

2weirdtown wrote:Good to see Bowman start a game.  Absolutely delighted he got a goal.  Hopefully he'll become an established first choice for the starting 11.

I agree that Dan Bowman warrants a starting place. Love it when he runs at people.
Who would you leave out? Right Back (Gallers) or Right Midfield (Kelly) presumably?
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:10 pm

I'd be tempted to put him right side midfield in a 4-4-2
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Better attacking but needs to improve the final ball. He does bring us to life.......

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:02 pm

2weirdtown wrote:I'd be tempted to put him right side midfield in a 4-4-2

So Kelly out then?
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:42 pm

well, he's only here on loan
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:50 pm

Chronicle had him mom for reasons I cannot fathom. Lightweight, largely ineffective, one lovely dink over keeper doesn't make up for the rest.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:51 pm

2weirdtown wrote:I'd be tempted to put him right side midfield in a 4-4-2

Same here. Gareth Bale played the first two years of his professional career as a left-back. Indeed, I have an idea that I saw him play in that position for Wales. Probably moaned at him as well.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:01 pm

Luton Roman wrote:Chronicle had him mom for reasons I cannot fathom. Lightweight, largely ineffective, one lovely dink over keeper doesn't make up for the rest.
Yes, I saw that Gerry. Most odd. I might have been swayed to give it to Big Chas.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:08 pm

I would rather give it to a player who has been out of form and has a good match rather than an exiting loan player. I thought Kelly was ok when I saw him but didn't pull up trees. I have no problem with a player not being massive as long as they have the teachnique.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:39 pm

In the first half I thought a walking football team's midfield would probably be more mobile than ours and wondered how Kington is not selected ahead of these loanees. Kelly is by no means the worst...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:44 pm

Yes, what has happened to Kington? We are allowed one walking footballer and that is Chas. The rest have to run.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:34 pm

Chad walking or not was my mom.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:56 pm

Any Americans would get an odd idea from that sentence.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:28 pm

the demon headmaster wrote:Chad walking or not was my mom.
the result of smellcheque or productive text Very Happy
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down