Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wealdstone (1)2 Bath City (0)0

2 posters

Go down

Wealdstone (1)2  Bath City (0)0 Empty Wealdstone (1)2 Bath City (0)0

Post by Kelston Koppite Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:05 am

Bath City endured a hugely frustrating afternoon at The Stadium where, despite long periods of domination by Lee Howells’ side, a Wealdstone goal at either end of the match proved sufficient to seal the points for the hosts.

The game could not have started any worse for City as they went behind in the 2nd minute. Matt Ball released Scott Davies into the Bath area and the midfielder made the most of a gentle nudge from Dan Ball to earn a penalty decision from the referee Mr. Lee Venamore. Jefferson Louis took full toll by scoring from the spot, but not without the assistance of the inside of Steve Phillips’ right hand post.

It was a soft penalty award and City, feeling a sense of injustice, should have been level within a minute. Dave Pratt neatly slipped the ball through to Andy Watkins, who had a clear run at goal, only for his shot to be blocked by the feet of advancing custodian Jonathan North.

The visitors were looking lively on the attack and Brad Williams saw his 7th minute shot from 20 yards comfortably held by North. Kaid Mohamed then produced a driving run at the heart of the Stones’ defence but his eventual shot lacked the power to trouble North.

Joshua McLeod-Urquart headed wide of Phillips’ far post following a corner from the left, but Bath created another promising opening on 13 minutes. Nick McCootie burst through down the inside left channel, but dragged his effort across the face of goal.

The ever tricky Shaun Lucien weaved his way into the box from the left, and forced a good blocking save by Phillips at his near post. The hosts should have increased their advantage when Tom Hamblin nodded on a Davies free-kick, but Dale Binns was unable to find the target from close range.

A Frankie Artus free kick from wide out on the left caught the wind and eluded the back peddling North, but the ball curled just wide of the far post as City continued to seek a leveller. Mohamed’s free kick on 23 minutes from 25 yards clattered into the defensive wall and was hurriedly hacked away to safety.

There was a scare at the other end two minutes later when Oliver Duffy’s cross was sliced towards his own goal by Dan Ball, but Phillips held the swirling ball under his crossbar.

Thereafter, the game descended into a period of stalemate, but the visitors had a presentable chance as half time approached. The excellent Andy Gallinagh made a determined run down the right and delivered a dangerous cross into the box, but Jack Smith sliced his shot wide.

The second half was played almost exclusively in the Wealdstone half as City pushed forward and produced some flowing football. Artus’ corner from the left on 50 minutes fell to the feet of Ben Adelsbury but, after twisting cleverly to find space, the midfielder clipped his shot narrowly wide of the post.

On the hour mark, Watkins made good ground down the left and his ball inside eventually came to Mohamed, who volleyed wide from 20 yards. Another Artus curling free kick was headed off the line by Hamblin with North beaten, but Adelsbury’s shot shortly afterwards from 25 yards out was well over the bar as the pressure continued.

McCootie and Williams were replaced by Ashley Yeoman and Chas Hemmings respectively, but City could still not find a breakthrough. Gallinagh fizzed in a cross from the right on 76 minutes that was headed over the top by Pratt from 6 yards, but the striker’s blushes were spared by an offside flag.

With Bath pushing more and more men forward, Wealdstone began to threaten on the break. Lucien cut in from the left and forced an excellent save from the diving Phillips, and the same player fired wastefully over the bar following a probing run from Davies.

Substitute Bradley Hudson-Odei fired a free kick straight at Phillips, but the points were secured with two minutes left on the clock. Again, there was an element of controversy about the goal as the ball appeared to go out of play in front of the dugouts. The officials allowed play to continue as Matt Ball found Hudson-Odei, whose shot was parried by Phillips. It was somewhat ironic that Matt Ball picked up the pieces to slot come from close range, beyond the prone keeper.

City’s resistance was now broken, and Phillips was called upon to make another fine save to repel Josh Hutchison’s goal-bound effort.

Given City’s general superiority and second half domination it is difficult to rationalise exactly how they lost his match. However, on reflection, the early goal conceded meant that they were always chasing the game and, as time wore on, there was an air of inevitability that they would be punished on the break. Ultimately, whilst there was an element of ill fortune about both goals, for all their pressure City only forced North into one save throughout. A statistic that renders the Wealdstone goalkeeper’s ‘man of the match’ award truly baffling.

Wealdstone: Jonathan North, Oliver Duffy, Dale Binns, Joshua McLeod-Urquhart, Tom Hamblin, Elliott Godfrey, Jonny Wright, Matt Ball (Matty Hickey 90) Jefferson Louis (Josh Hutchinson 87), Davies, Lucien (Bradley Hudson-Odoi 83). Subs not used: Matt Lowe, Scott McGleish.

Bath City: Steve Phillips, Andy Gallinagh, Ben Adelsbury, Jack Smith, Dan Ball, Brad Williams (Chas Hemmings 75), Andy Watkins, Frankie Artus, Dave Pratt, Nick McCootie (Ashley Yeoman 68), Kaid Mohamed. Subs not used: Miles John, Sekani Simpson.

Referee: Mr. Lee Venamore.

Attendance: 602.
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Posts : 291
Join date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

Wealdstone (1)2  Bath City (0)0 Empty Re: Wealdstone (1)2 Bath City (0)0

Post by BenE Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:03 pm

One save throughout the match, sounds familiar.

Good report as usual.

Posts : 2436
Join date : 2014-02-11

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum