Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reasons You Don't Attend Games at Twerton Park?

+21
SteveS
rabbit
Lord Bear
threeday week
Paul1978
county exile
City 'til we're relegated
the demon headmaster
comrade powell
Midsomer-steve
Eddie Hitler
BenE
footballfan
Matt_1376
Ashley
CityHatcham
Marc Monitor
Mark Tanner
Liam Shaw
Peteboa
Beau Nash
25 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Reasons You Don't Attend Games at Twerton Park? - Page 2 Empty Re: Reasons You Don't Attend Games at Twerton Park?

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:01 pm

City 'til we're relegated wrote:We should boycott Mayday Trust Park, stopping people going to matches etc until the club is in League 1.  That will send a message to the board and make them hurry up with getting us there.  

Bloody hell, if you want City to go in the other direction, then do just what you are suggesting. Empty stadiums and no ticket sales are going to guarantee it.

I am the first to suggest what is wrong with Twerton Park but am at a loss as to why this seeming outrage has come up due to admittedly one of the worst football matches I have seen and a terrible management decision in what happened to Preece. Since Christmas, the team has been getting incrementally better leading to the unlikely top 5 position. Off the field, Preece-gate notwithstanding, the club seems to be getting into a position where they will be much better as well.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Reasons You Don't Attend Games at Twerton Park? - Page 2 Empty Re: Reasons You Don't Attend Games at Twerton Park?

Post by Paul1978 Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:06 am

What a stupid topic. You support your team for life. No matter what's going on, on the pitch, in the boardroom, results, league, division, anything. If you cant support them in the bleak times, don't bother in the good times. Nothing worse in my eyes than a glory supporter. Cardiff, Hereford, Yate, Grimsby, Woking, Cambridge Utd. (Home and away) Days like that means so much more to fans who witness the bleak times. UTC.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by threeday week Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:26 am

What a stupid topic. You support your team for life. No matter what's going on, on the pitch, in the boardroom, results, league, division, anything. If you cant support them in the bleak times, don't bother in the good times. Nothing worse in my eyes than a glory supporter. Cardiff, Hereford, Yate, Grimsby, Woking, Cambridge Utd. (Home and away) Days like that means so much more to fans who witness the bleak times. UTC.

well said Paul I,ve been at Twerton on a cold January night when the crowd was i think 300ish and the football was crap but i also went to Cardiff and Stoke in the  fa cup , the great fa trophy comeback game at Yeovil ( i,ll say it again best city match i have ever watched)  and those special days are what it is all about

threeday week

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:41 am

It isn't a stupid topic. It is trying to explore why there are only 500 regular attendees at MTP each week. It isn't referring to people like you or me. We all attend for the same reasons.

However given the lack of response from people who don't attend I guess they don't subscribe to the forum either. We aren't going to reach them here.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:12 pm

it would be interesting to hear from Lord Bear on this. previously one of the most positive of city supporters on here, he has stayed away from matches for over a year. yet I would argue he is as big a fan as anyone (no pun intended!)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by footballfan Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:19 pm

I don't see how anyone can be a "glory" supporter at conference south level! Some fans are staying away yet have supported the club for many years, decades in fact. They're not disloyal. They could have stayed away during other dark times such as relegation from conference in 97 and a lot of them didn't. This time is much different. Hopefully with a new chairman things will change in the near future though.

footballfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:14 pm

Yes Paul Hill. Cracking post Chaffer. But you have to draw the line somewhere. If I was a Cardiff fan for example I would have given up.
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:32 pm

I was and did.

I was quite surprised to see that our average crowds while in the Conference Premier was 800. There is something to be said for accepting the size of a club and their possible crowd but relocating those 300 is definitely worth investigating. It can't just be the glamour of seeing York, Wrexham and Luton.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Bear Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:32 pm

For most football fans their first club is imprinted on them much like one of Konrad Lorenz's duckling. I've never made any secret that my first love is Blackpool and always will be. I suspect I'm one of many who took an interest in their local club and even became rather passionate about them but with second clubs one can take a step back. I became disillusioned by the spineless, abject manner of our relegation and the dreadful negative football on offer, the poor treatment of players I liked and admired allied to a board who seemed to lack the insight, ability or will to excise certain cancers that were devouring the soul of the club. I continued to attend for a while after the joy had gone out of the experience but after wondering what the hell I was doing cold, bored and unexcited for several games on the trot I simply stopped attending. I've now got out of the habit; I'd thought I might return to watch and participate in a new era but, from what I hear from friends who still attend, I doubt that I'd enjoy it. The "City till I die" brigade will always be there forming a core support of 2-300 but it is the floating voters as it were who the club must seek to (re)engage.

Lord Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by rabbit Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:09 pm

the sun is out and bear has just woke up from his winter sleep. for me it is negative football, i might watch one more game ,to see if things have changed , lets hope so .

rabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:21 pm

Lord Bear wrote:For most football fans their first club is imprinted on them much like one of Konrad Lorenz's duckling. I've never made any secret that my first love is Blackpool and always will be. I suspect I'm one of many who took an interest in their local club and even became rather passionate about them but with second clubs one can take a step back. I became disillusioned by the spineless, abject manner of our relegation and the dreadful negative football on offer, the poor treatment of players I liked and admired allied to a board who seemed to lack the insight, ability or will to excise certain cancers that were devouring the soul of the club. I continued to attend for a while after the joy had gone out of the experience but after wondering what the hell I was doing cold, bored and unexcited for several games on the trot I simply stopped attending. I've now got out of the habit; I'd thought I might return to watch and participate in a new era but, from what I hear from friends who still attend, I doubt that I'd enjoy it. The "City till I die" brigade will always be there forming a core support of 2-300 but it is the floating voters as it were who the club must seek to (re)engage.

Sad that LB is no longer entertaining the popular side wisemen with his usual anecdotes and musings. I don't think there is much you can argue against in that post. The manner of our relegation was indeed spineless and abject, the football was negative and the feel good feeling within club had been lost. Treatment of some players has been really poor and continues to be so.  However I do think you'd be pleasantly surprised by the on the field improvements. Watkins and Stearn (if he plays) certainly get the juices flowing. We look a much more positive side than last year or even earlier in the season
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:44 am

Although we will have to disagree about Stearn's effectiveness, you are right that on the whole the football has been more positive and entertaining this season. in fact, i'd argue that the last 2 performances were superior to most of the rubbish we endured in the 2nd season in BSP.

The rugby will mercifully soon be off our screens, Bear, and your attendance at TP is required. I will even pay for you to come to the Chelmsford match - you can't get less mothic than that!  Cool
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:13 am

comrade powell wrote:...The rugby will mercifully soon be off our screens, Bear, and your attendance at TP is required. I will even pay for you to come to the Chelmsford match - you can't get less mothic than that!  Cool

LB promised me a pint so I am hoping to make a "profit" from the day... Razz 

Disappointed that LB doesn't appear to be on KerslakeSport Matchat; Sad    I am sure he would enjoy the banter and camaraderie / comradery, lack of comrade powell there. Razz 

How would attendances be affected without the Forum, First Pink Bus, Supporters Club, (and other subsets) which benefit greatly from our friend comrade's input?  I feel these "add ons" are something everyone associated with Bath City FC should be cherishing and encourage involvement and attendance.  Smile 

I don't recall anyone mentioning if they think social media coverage has caused people to not attend games?  Personally the "buzz" from watching an exciting game LIVE cannot be bettered by anything else.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Bear Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:37 am

comrade powell wrote:

The rugby will mercifully soon be off our screens, Bear, and your attendance at TP is required. I will even pay for you to come to the Chelmsford match - you can't get less mothic than that!  Cool

I might take you up on that comrade if you can provide a suitable disguise to prevent beau nash from claiming his pint. sunny 

Lord Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:50 am

Like many posters I have now been following this club for decades. It is my local team and will always have a special place in my heart. Over those decades there have been plenty of bleak periods and I see nothing especially unique about recent events. I think forums like this can generate discontent. There has been ample vile comment. I think one of the main reasons why I don't get too affected by this is the real distance I can put between myself and the club. Having moved away a long time ago I have a space which provides a bit of perspective (at least I think so). I admire the Comrades of this world who contribute so much to our club and are strong enough to rise above much of the baiting and behind the scenes frustration. It wouldn't be for most of us. But as a fan, pure and simple, I continue to take every game as it comes. It is the only way to keep your sanity. The awful display against Basingstoke has been repeated in every season since I started watching. I don't see it as another nail in the coffin of a once great club in terminal decline. It was a bad performance that was followed, hey presto, by two very good ones. The match simply wasn't important in the scheme of things for me. The key thing for me is that I have learned to drive away from these games. The distance soon heals the disappointment and I genuinely look forward to the next time as the last game has never been a reliable predictor of the one to come. Sitting in the sunshine yesterday and talking to I have known for years is what makes it special. I cant see any number of Mandas, strange formations, erratic selections, inexplicable shoddy sackings or poor performances from stopping me supporting my team, loving my team, or contemplating divorce. So, whilst distance keeps me away from TP it also keeps me coming back.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:05 am

great post, demon! there have been some pretty odd comments on here recently about 'what makes a proper city fan' as if they come in a special box and have a unique quality. i think living in exile like you, but keeping in touch as much as you can and travelling hundreds of miles to those games you can get to is a great effort and you always manage to keep things in perspective. your one failing is a resignation that your offspring are unlikely to join you at games!

I was interested to read...

I think forums like this can generate discontent. There has been ample vile comment. I think one of the main reasons why I don't get too affected by this is the real distance I can put between myself and the club. Having moved away a long time ago I have a space which provides a bit of perspective (at least I think so).

while i agree that any gathering of fans, whether it be in the pub or online is always likely to generate discontent after poor results or baffling decisions behind the scenes, i hope you are aware that the various moderators have been quick to act when the forum's rules have been broken. someone else mentioned the match chat thingy - i find it ironic and hypocritical that something which condemns abuse, and advises those who wish to post it to do so on the forum, has in fact turned a blind eye to comments which would be deleted immediately on here.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:00 am

I am not sure what 'vile comment' there has been on here, I have not seen anything for a long time. When I look at many other forums and see what is displayed it makes me think how sedate this forum is. There may have been some honest opinions but I don't think that can be classed as vile.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:10 am

comrade powell wrote:...someone else mentioned the match chat thingy - i find it ironic and hypocritical that something which condemns abuse, and advises those who wish to post it to do so on the forum, has in fact turned a blind eye to comments which would be deleted immediately on here.

The Kerslakesport site:  PLEASE remember if using Matchat this is not the site for abusing players, managers or the board of Bath City or any club. If you wish to do that please use the forum.  If people cannot do so, we will have to make Matchat a 'members only' site, which would be a great shame.

Knowing Andrew he would no more tolerate "abuse" than comrade or most of us would.  Perhaps the wording of the "warning" should be changed to:
This is an unofficial Bath City Internet Radio website. Bath City FC have asked us to point out that it is in no way responsible for the content of this site, and that any views expressed should not be taken to represent the opinions or policies of Bath City FC. PLEASE remember if using Matchat this is not the site for abusing players, managers or the board of Bath City or any club.  If people cannot do so, we will have to make Matchat a 'members only' site, which would be a great shame.

As with any live broadcast it is impossible to stop the odd bad comment.  Having followed matchchat regularly since its inception the number of unacceptable comments are rare.

I would like to see a link from this forum to Kerslakesport and vice versa.  BOTH provide a beneficial service to Bath City FC and the supporters.  I see no reason why the official site shouldn't link to both either;  other clubs do have links to various other websites...
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:45 pm

the official site does link to both. this forum is hardly going to provide a link to a site which suggests that it encourages abuse of the club!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:52 pm

I can't find a link from - http://www.ilovebathcity.com/ - to this forum?  scratch   Sad 
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:56 pm

well keep looking, it's there!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:06 pm

Beau Nash wrote:I can't find a link from - http://www.ilovebathcity.com/ - to this forum?  scratch   Sad 

This is painful!

Click on LINKS

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:41 pm

spoilsport!  Very Happy 
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Thank you Colin.  Like a Star @ heaven 
I was hoping for a long diatribe from "comrade spoilsport" alien  but..
. lol!
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:04 pm

comrade powell wrote:Although we will have to disagree about Stearn's effectiveness, you are right that on the whole the football has been more positive and entertaining this season. in fact, i'd argue that the last 2 performances were superior to most of the rubbish we endured in the 2nd season in BSP.

he's our top scorer!  confused 
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next