Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oxford City Thread

+2
comrade powell
kermit
6 posters

Go down

Oxford City Thread Empty Oxford City Thread

Post by kermit Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:47 pm

OK after last nights drama in Hampshire we move on and look forward to a trip to the dreaming spires of Oxford on Saturday.
With the supporters coach offering the chance of an early arrival in the City, there is ample time to sample some of the wonderful museums and colleges that Oxford boasts. However, a word of warning, when I visited Oxford last year virtually everywhere demanded advance on line booking of your preferred time slot, even though the venues are free to enter, so, book early for those museums.
For the minority of City supporters not wanting the cultural experience I have been asked to suggest some pubs!
For those of us watching the pennies, there are 2 Wetherspoons (well 3, but 2 are central). My preferred one is the Four Candles (Ronnie Barker went to a school in the building opposite!). The other, Swan and Castle is a modern, airport lounge type building, but big.
Now just remember, Oxford pubs mean London prices, but here are a few of the very many great pubs that I like, and they follow on to make a good pub crawl.
1. Royal Blenheim, 13 St Ebbes Street.
2. St Algates Tavern, 108 St Aldgates
3. Chequers, 130A High Street
4. Bear, 6 Alfred Street
Finally, for those Inspector Morse fans, the Turf Tavern, 4 Bath Place, is where many of the drinking scenes in the series were filmed.
PS If Oxford City FC say they are running a beer festival again this year.......... it's fake news. Well it was last time!
kermit
kermit

comrade powell, Beau Nash, Midsomer-steve, Luton Roman and pete mac like this post

Back to top Go down

Oxford City Thread Empty Re: Oxford City Thread

Post by comrade powell Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:36 pm

Thanks for that Kermy! I'd place St Aldgates in the league's top 3 pubs along with The Mermaid (St Albans) and Robin Hood & Little John (Welling) but you are really spoilt for choice in Oxford.

For anyone who doesn't travel very often to away matches I really recommend the Oxford trip - it's relatively close to Bath and there's loads to do in the city. Cheryl tells me there's plenty of seats left on the coach - following feedback many said they wanted a repeat of the days out we did to Billericay and Hungerford. This looks like the best bet this season. The coach on Saturday will drop you in the town centre then pick you up to take you to the ground. Book here...

https://bathcityfcsc.com/upcoming-trips/
comrade powell
comrade powell

Luton Roman and pete mac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:42 am

The Bear my favourite.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:46 pm

I understand we will be playing in our home strip of black and white stripes and not the away blue and blue stripes.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:15 am

Surely that was a given as our blue shirts would have clashed with their blue shirts.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Luton Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:31 pm

comrade powell wrote:Surely that was a given as our blue shirts would have clashed with their blue shirts.
Possibly, but royal blue and white hoops versus dark blue and pale blue stripes....... I've seen much worse clashes.
Anyway, I was only trying to be helpful.
kermit
kermit

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:37 pm

Well well, that looked like a lost cause at HT, but once again .......
Valuable point as all 4 above us only drew too.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:53 pm

As poor a 1st half performance as you could imagine. Simple but effective play from Oxford for goals 1 and 3, ball over the top for 1 and a cross and slot home for 3, in between a clumsy pen that the player looked for and duly got. We didnt trouble the keeper with a shot once, promising edge of box free kick went high and wide.

City came out early for the 2nd half but there was nothing in the early play that indicated a come back. Oxford continued to look more threatening as the large electronic scoreboard counted down the minutes alongside the 3-0 score line. Raynes had already gone off injured in the 1st half, then Rex Mannings came on as sub for his City debut and the game changed. His crisp strike from outside the box was the first of City's 3 in 8 minutes, Fletcher then slotted home after being put in on the edge of the box, then unbelievably Cooke put away a pen to level it up. Fletcher had a golden chance to score a 4th when he rose to head straight at the keeper when either side would have put us ahead. An injury to the ref topped off a crazy game, a sub lino came on, the new ref flourished a few yellows, and then the game was over.

Easy to forget about the first 45 mins when we were not at the races, hangover from Tuesday possible, lack of squad depth?, anyway 2nd 45 and result did make us all feel better, as did the fans applause for one Rex Mannings, take a bow son.

Amazing stat that is the 4th time in the 9 league games this season we have won the 2nd half 3-0 !

Luton Roman

Beau Nash and pete mac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:05 pm

Goals - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x-oq6sotpA - clearly not a penalty for Bath City... Wink
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down