Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oxford City match thread

+6
kermit
tovid
PHILB1973#
stillmanjunior
2weirdtown
comrade powell
10 posters

Go down

Oxford City match thread Empty Oxford City match thread

Post by comrade powell Fri May 06, 2022 6:37 pm

A win tomorrow could see us climb two places to finish 15th. But that would require Concord to lose to Welling (or us to make up the 3 goals difference if they draw) and Braintree to drop points to Billericay.

If we lose and there are wins for Tonbridge (v St Albans) and Chelmsford (v Ebbsfleet) we will finish in 19th place.

Oxford are guaranteed 5th place and if they win tomorrow and Dartford lose to Eastbourne they will overtake them. But either way they play at home in next week's eliminator against Eastbourne, Havant or Chippenham. The latter two are fighting for the last play off spot and meet at Havant with Chippenham having to win.

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Oxford City match thread Empty Re: Oxford City match thread

Post by 2weirdtown Fri May 06, 2022 8:42 pm

So both sides have all to play for!

2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat May 07, 2022 9:21 pm

What an entertaining game that was! Six goals, great fight back, another large crowd and lovely weather - apart from a City win you couldn’t ask for much more.

Over the two matches against us I think that Oxford have been one of the most impressive teams in this division and I wouldn’t rule them out  from winning the playoffs.

Well done to City for a strong ending to the season. Overall it has been a very disappointing one but the players have shown a lot of character recently and certainly sent their fans home smiling today.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat May 07, 2022 10:24 pm

I won’t complain if Oxford do it. Passing relentless, some technically superb footballers and they just want to play, was barely a second to draw breath. Only two minutes stoppage time because there was no timewasting. Made it a superb watch and to rescue a point from two goals down against a side like that is an excellent achievement. 

Can’t see them stumbling against a horribly out of form Eastbourne side. Rest will be interesting.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Steve Whites Missus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Sun May 08, 2022 5:43 am

Oxford are very easy on the eye but their frailty at the back may cost them however they are the team who I want to win the play offs but fear one of the big 3 will win them with Dorking being the most likely.
We should however nick Oxford's blueprint (along with their number 10) as they are liquid and must have a modest budget.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun May 08, 2022 9:05 am

Yes terrific game to watch in front of a big crowd. As you say they were mesmerising going forward but not so secure at the back. I think Dorking will give them problems. How Chipp are in the play offs is a mystery as they were poor at Christmas. They must be better than they looked then.
Very pleased for Tom Richards to score after his difficult season.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun May 08, 2022 3:16 pm

PHILB1973# wrote:Oxford are very easy on the eye but their frailty at the back may cost them however they are the team who I want to win the play offs but fear one of the big 3 will win them with Dorking being the most likely.
We should however nick Oxford's blueprint (along with their number 10) as they are liquid and must have a modest budget.

That’s McEachran. Superb footballer, about half a dozen times I’ve seen him play against us and I’ve always been impressed. There was one time in the second half where he plucked the ball out of the air near the byline like Bergkamp and I was almost applauding. 

Annoyingly I wasn’t looking up when he scored so I’ll have to see if it was good or poor on our part.

Oxford started Matsuzaka at the back for the first time in weeks so that probably didn’t help. Their defensive record this season is ok from memory, kept a few clean sheets. I personally think it’ll be Dorking but anything can happen in these games.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun May 08, 2022 4:38 pm

tovid wrote:Yes terrific game to watch in front of a big crowd. As you say they were mesmerising going forward but not so secure at the back. I think Dorking will give them problems. How Chipp are in the play offs is a mystery as they were poor at Christmas. They must be better than they looked then.
Very pleased for Tom Richards to score after his difficult season.

Agree about Richards. His attitude must be excellent.

Chippenham seem to be overawed whenever they play us. The league table doesn’t lie and they’ve had some excellent results and proved very difficult to beat in games against the strongest clubs.

I see that Dartford fans on their forum are already looking forward to facing Ebbsfleet in the semis. It won’t surprise me if Chippenham take their place.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sun May 08, 2022 8:37 pm

I must say I was delighted that Chipp'n'pin finished off the hopes of those cocky Hampshire oiks. I would love to see them beat Dartford as well..... and the Ebbsfleet! However the thought of promotion must be a frightening prospect...but good luck.

kermit
kermit

threeday week likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Thu May 12, 2022 10:50 pm

So they have seen off Dartford after all. Impressive.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu May 12, 2022 11:47 pm

All that matters is Bath City FC. What happens with them so what.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Fri May 13, 2022 8:03 am

It does affect who we will be playing next season and especially who we will be playing at Christmas.
But we are reflecting on the fact they are progressing in the play offs while we flirted with relegation despite beating them twice. Those six points were crucial for us.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Fri May 13, 2022 8:48 am

Good luck to Chip but, if they do go up, I wonder how they would cope hosting teams like Oldham. We shall just have to look elsewhere for the six points.

City 'til we're relegated

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri May 13, 2022 9:22 am

I think it's good to have a local rival - apart from the interest (and money for our Club) surrounding the fixtures with them, I believe that they keep us on our toes. It was the same with Team Bath - they attracted a lot of ridicule but there was a time when they looked like they might become the higher placed club.

In games with Chippenham we regularly produce performances which if matched over a season should lead to more success. I thought they looked dreadful in the 2 fixtures this season but the table and stats don't lie. Good luck to them at Ebbsfleet.

I just wish Dartford had been as useless at penalties in that Trophy match!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri May 13, 2022 9:26 am

City's challenge to improve is right there up the A4. More than double their average gate, far better marketing, profile,  social media presence, yet...

Last edited by Luton Roman on Fri May 13, 2022 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luton Roman

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebird Fri May 13, 2022 4:11 pm

Can't quite believe we've got this far.  We're down to the bare bones with a very threadbare squad but Horgan & Coupe seem to working the oracle since Cook departed.  Others on here have mentioned our two games against City and they're absolutely right, we were dreadful, but we seem to have hit on a formula that works, for now anyway.  I've supported Chippenham all my life, from the Wiltshire Combination in the 60's onwards, and well remember it was a really big deal to play City Reserves in the Western League, so it's quite extraordinary really how far we've come.
Wonderful to see Dartford and their esteemed manager dumped out last night but now on to Ebbsfleet.  They scored 5 at HP in the autumn and they were the best team I've seen there this season (I also happened to see your game against them at Twerton where they didn't really need to go through the gears) so it's a monumental task, but stranger things have happened I guess.
Onwards and upwards.  See you Boxing Day Very Happy

Bluebird

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down