Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Havant today

+5
Luton Roman
pete mac
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
LB
9 posters

Go down

Havant today Empty Havant today

Post by LB Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:17 pm

Overall I think the stream worked reasonably well - the sound dropped out a couple of times and the whole thing disappeared after the third Havant goal (I know how it felt!) but I was able to see the whole match.

As for the game, I think 3-0 flattered Havant - interesting to hear in Jerry’s pre-match interview that they are full time and stayed overnight beforehand. Once Havant went ahead you knew exactly how it would go, and that they would manage the game by slowing it down and wasting time as they always do.

I thought we still seemed a bit lightweight and as often in the past missed Frankie in midfield (not to mention the strength of the departed Ryan Brunt and Adam Mann) although it was always going to be difficult against their giant no 5. Also not sure about our short corners - more often than not they seemed to end up with the ball back in our own half.

Very early days yet I know, and I thought Wilson showed a couple of glimpses of what he might bring to the team when he is fully fit.

LB

Bridgeyate likes this post

Back to top Go down

Havant today Empty Re: Havant today

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:28 pm

The last goal was literally the last kick of the game so no matter. I think the issues with sound were by a volume control on the mixer accidentally being turned up - Matt and Bob aren't familiar with the kit so neither would have known how to resolve it. Think they did what they could, I was on the other side of the ground so was pretty helpless.

As for the game, I disputed the lacklustre tag for our performance last week but sadly wouldn't be able to for this. First half I felt we were ok, at least had a bit of threat about us. Second half we were outfought by a better team. Man for man I think they just have better players than us in a lot of positions (they have the money to provide that!) but I thought we could give them a better contest than what we did.

Another Saturday, another curse not lifted. Our 4th Qualifying Round record is appalling and seems to throw up some really iffy performances. The only bonus is at least we've made over £10k from this run and it's not like we were humiliated by a lower league side. We tend to react strongly to our worst performances and hope we will next week.

The last two weeks have also demonstrated how strong our league is, I'd say it's tougher than when Torquay and Woking came down. Dartford looked very good and although we helped them, I can't see Havant not challenging this season. Still, nice easy trip to another of last season's play-off sides next week.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:48 pm

After a very shaky start when Havant could easily have scored a couple I thought we settled down and played some good stuff against very strong opponents. The Bristol City duo got us to this stage with their goals and early on it looked like Tomlinson would be the one to score. Unfortunately their first goal was a real killer and Havant showed they are masters of that horrible phrase game management.
Fully expect Luton to post that yet again we were mugged by a strong, streetwise team.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Luton Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:35 pm

Yes we were mugged by a strong streetwise team. Agree we were in it until the second goal which followed a team switch off at the substitutions. I try to take the positives and I do think we’ll have a good season but can’t see how we get close to Havant Dorking and Dartford. Jerry brutal post match - and yes I had my head in my hands for most of the second half - desperate. Convinced we’ll bounce back next week as Mark says

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:39 pm

All been said. On the positive front, Tomlinson showed a lot of drive and desire, also Wilson when he came on. And think Dan Ball should start every game, he will die for the cause.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:51 pm

Yes, this div looks strong. Oxford put Weymouth out today. I think we could do with a bit more physicality up front.
Streaming just about ok.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:44 am

Part of the reason players are loaned to us is to give them opportunity to play against stronger physical and experienced opponents. The hope is that the loanees would be better technical players and that would more than compensate for the physicality element etc.
- Unfortunately this was not the case yesterday as Havant are a big budget side who are physical, experienced and can also play decent football.
As said earlier we have had a tough start to the season and until yesterday competed well enough so still hopeful we will have a decent league campaign. Although it would have been good to reach Round 1 of the cup ( but other than the possibility of a televised game) it would have been frustrating to get a decent draw but only able to warch via streaming.

Peter Newman

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:46 pm

Peter Newman wrote:As said earlier we have had a tough start to the season and until yesterday competed well enough so still hopeful we will have a decent league campaign.

I think it's been our toughest start for years because apart from yesterday I don't think we've played particularly badly in any game. Even Winchester I thought we were ok and still only scraped through. Our easiest game was probably Billericay but first 20 minutes or so we didn't get out of our half much. I guess the level will be shown in a few weeks when we play Hemel as they've made a bad start and think they've signed a lot of players from lower divisions.

The standard of the league has really accelerated this season, which amazes me because with financial uncertainty I thought clubs would play it safe. I just hope those clubs spending big will not regret it by this time next year. I'm sure Havant aren't gambling with it because you never hear about them in financial trouble, but others you just don't know.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:57 am

It has certainly been a tough start to the season but I don't think city are quite right yet. There have been an awful lot of changes and it takes time for teams to bed in.
But we created chances against Havant and if we had scored first it might have been a different story. Freddie Hinds was brilliant and when Wilson gets up to speed it could be a lethal partnership.
On Havants second goal it looked like their sub was interfering with our throw in standing right next to the thrower. Mind you we made a hash of a number of throw ins.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:15 am

Thanks Tovid. Interesting you mentioned Hinds as on the stream I hardly noticed him. As you had a much better view of things what was special about his performance? And were my thoughts above on Tomlinson accurate?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:27 am

I thought Hinds did well first half down the left. Faded a bit second half but so did they all......

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:32 pm

Thought Hinds was often going down cul de sacs, checking back rather than taking on people imo.

Can someone tell me what Harley is bringing to the team?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:20 pm

Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:37 pm

I thought Hinds had their full back on toast unfortunately he had very little support and had to keep checking back. Conway could not get in the game and Wilson was clearly way off the pace.
I thought Tomlinson was not given any room and had clearly been watched. Havant were a very powerful team in midfield so it was difficult for players like Harley but I thought Tom Richards did very well. Indeed I thought individually all our players did well we just didn't have the team combination to compete with such strong opposition.
As Junior says we have had a tough start to the season. Teams have obviously recruited strongly, it is going to be very competitive this season. What a shame people can't get in to support their team.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down