Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charlie’s today

+3
Tony73
Beau Nash
Backintheday
7 posters

Go down

Charlie’s today Empty Charlie’s today

Post by Backintheday Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:52 pm

Not sure where to start with this one. I don’t normally indulge in post match beers in Charlie’s (or anywhere) but decided to today - well, it is Christmas! I’m aware that there are supporters who actively decide to drink elsewhere but my unusual post match drinking excursion was prompted by wanting to support the club as well.
I probably visit Charlie’s about once a year and my initial assessment of today’s experience was generally positive. There have previously been a lot of adverse comments on here regarding the attitude of staff and the general conviviality - I found today to be pretty good and the bar service I received was first class. The choice of beers was somewhat disappointing - no decent basic lagers (in my opinion) and my preferred choice of beer (Tribute) was sold out. Settled for Bauble, which was ok. I find the general atmosphere to be akin to a works canteen, but with a bar!
I was surprised at the lack of players who attended the ‘post match meal’ - very few home players and no away players? In previous visits I have made to Charlie’s, practically the whole squad would attend the post match meal - is this lack of attendance now the norm?
The main reason behind my post, however, is the controversial walk out by Gerry mid-interview. I’m concerned that, as a ‘community club’ , we expect too much from the players/management. Jim has always been massively available to champion the club and I’ve been impressed and appreciative of Gerry’s post match video interviews. Is it unfair to expect Gerry to also address a mixed audience of home and away supporters? Clearly, there were a few Chelmsford supporters present in the bar today who were less than appreciative of being asked to be quiet and listen to Gerry’s comments - I must admit that Bob Chester came across as a little bit like a school teacher trying to control an unruly class (I have the utmost respect for Bob and the tremendous work that he does for our club) and the loud and abusive comments uttered by the Chelmsford ‘supporter’ as he left the bar were totally inappropriate. The further interruptions of another Chelmsford supporter, which caused Gerry to say to him “do you want to come outside” left me pretty shocked as a long time Bath City supporter. Gerry then approaching said person for a ‘one to one’ conversation and then promptly leaving has left me more than a little perplexed!
As I say, I haven’t been a regular attendee at Charlie’s, by any means, but was looking today to find positives to make this a more regular occurrence. Must say that I left totally bemused and confused! Do any more regular attendees of Charlies have any comments on today’s events?

Backintheday

Back to top Go down

Charlie’s today Empty Re: Charlie’s today

Post by Beau Nash Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:25 am

The discussion on this is continuing on Facebook - Bath City FC Supporters Group.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony73 Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:54 am

I'm a regular attendee and couple points on Charlies before covering main subject of posting:

1. Range of beers good at very fair prices - premium lagers, guest ales & extensive bottle selection. For venue used on average once every 2 weeks thus not getting regular pub turnover, I can't fault choices available.
2. Ordering drinks made very easy through Ordoo app. Beer waiting on half & full time bit like theatre - no queuing needed.
3. Difficult, if not impossible to justify investment in decor, as upgraded bar would probably form part of wider ground redevelopment project.

Ref: Post match manager interviews:

Really look forward to these as hugely insightful perspective not only on match, but also club thats not available in higher leagues - always find Gerry to be honest and respectful to opposition, win lose or draw. These interviews are main reason I go to Charlies after match - generates additional drinks revenue from me, and likely others by by virtue of extended time in bar after match.

Very easy after event, and I probably wouldn't have said it in the moment, but response to noisier supporters would have been these interviews do differentiate non-league from league, Gerry doing these helps with bar proceeds and if I was in their club-bar I'd respect something similar for those very reasons. I do appreciate though when someone telling you to F-off not as easy when in that moment.

Yesterday was quiet with players, when leaving saw most Chelmsford players in Chinese by ground whereas you'd normally see more in bar. I also like this after match presence as another differentiator between non-league & league.

Really hope post match interviews continue - if match controversial or rowdy away fans could do them later after coaches left or stage manage them by framing in context of helping club revenue/getting insights you wouldn't get at league level, and see if that generates more respect.

I'd encourage you to come back and try it again as yesterday not typical on number of levels.

Tony73

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:45 pm

I've only gone to Charlie's after games to chase down players to interview. Last time I did was the Hemel game I think, when I caught Jerry's interview when, in my opinion, we lost to a poor side, but he was quite complimentary about how they played, and defended, and some Hemel fans applauded.

Personally, it doesn't really bother me if the players hang around after games or not. To me it should be their choice. If they're happy to mix with fans - fantastic. If it's not their thing - fine. I'd say our players are pretty approachable, I've seen pictures of Ryan Clarke giving a fan his gloves and we had the Stearn celebration at Banbury etc. And all the ones I've asked have been willing to give up a few minutes for a chat after the game.

For the interviews, I think the intention is commendable, but in cases it's asking for trouble. Bob recalled an incident at the Wealdstone home game when a few of them were goading Andy Watkins, who was MOTM but had been involved in them having a player sent off. Imagine Boxing Day at Chippenham and, for example, Jack Compton, is awarded MOTM. If they did the same thing in their bar you can guarantee we'd have some fans there intent on heckling. Or indeed the NYD game, whatever the result it's likely one set of fans won't be happy.

The suggestion of carrying them out later might be a better idea. Saves the player/manager rushing about so much. After a game they probably just want to get showered and changed and they have time to think about what to say. The other issue I noticed with them is some people want to carry on with their conversation the bar, they don't want this other presentation. I don't think it's intentionally rude but Bob, understandably, wants it a bit quieter if someone is talking on the mic.

Maybe it should be put to some sort of vote. I have no idea what's happening in the Facebook group as I'm not in it. We do interviews every game which are shared a lot online. I appreciate not everyone is in the computer generation still but a large percentage are. I'd say we offer far more than other clubs. Jerry isn't a closed book, I'd say if anyone spoke sensibly to him he'd listen, but maybe he isn't as receptive to unconstructive criticism. I wouldn't be anyway - if I popped into Charlie's after the game and someone said "Stillman, your announcing is awful" I'd shake my head and wander off.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:52 pm

That scenario won't happen at Chippenham. We won't be allowed in the bar.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:10 pm

I would suggest that the bar is not the right venue for this to take place. 

These events should be exclusively for Bath fans. There will always be a risk of something kicking off if away fans are there. Furthermore you are not likely to need to tell people to be quiet if they are only attending for the presentations.

Could the bar upstairs be used?
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:53 pm

tovid wrote:I would suggest that the bar is not the right venue for this to take place. 

These events should be exclusively for Bath fans. There will always be a risk of something kicking off if away fans are there. Furthermore you are not likely to need to tell people to be quiet if they are only attending for the presentations.

Could the bar upstairs be used?

I'm pretty sure the aim of it is to provide a reason for people to stick around in the bar after the game. Giving their money to the club, rather than other local bars. You wouldn't get that happening to the same degree if it was in any less obvious or less accessible venue.

Away fans going for a drink in Charlie's after a defeat isn't a big thing really - and you'd expect most of those who do aren't that sore about the result (or else they'd go elsewhere/home). So perhaps all that's needed at the start of the interview session is a request for people to show a bit of respect to those who do want to hear by exercising a bit of volume control. That should cover off most people you would think.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down