Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Copy of 'Stars In Stripes - The Official History Of Bath City Football Club' wanted.

+7
Luton Roman
Twerton Park Magic
Azlimey
Freeview Joe
Marc Monitor
kermit
100GroundsProject
11 posters

Go down

Copy of 'Stars In Stripes - The Official History Of Bath City Football Club' wanted. Empty Copy of 'Stars In Stripes - The Official History Of Bath City Football Club' wanted.

Post by 100GroundsProject Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:05 pm

First time poster, so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Does anyone have a copy of 'Stars In Stripes - The Official History Of Bath City Football Club' for sale or loan? I’ve tried eBay, Amazon, local Bath bookshops, all to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

100GroundsProject

Back to top Go down

Copy of 'Stars In Stripes - The Official History Of Bath City Football Club' wanted. Empty Re: Copy of 'Stars In Stripes - The Official History Of Bath City Football Club' wanted.

Post by kermit Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:15 pm

A few months ago a box full of the books was found tucked away somewhere and they were on sale in the club shop.
I suggest you email the football club direct and see if they are any remaining in the main office.
info@bathcityfootballclub.co.uk
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Copy of 'Stars In Stripes - The Official History Of Bath City Football Club' wanted. Empty Re: Copy of 'Stars In Stripes - The Official History Of Bath City Football Club' wanted.

Post by 100GroundsProject Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:49 pm

kermit wrote:A few months ago a box full of the books was found tucked away somewhere and they were on sale in the club shop.
I suggest you email the football club direct and see if they are any remaining in the main office.

Thanks for the tip. I'll drop the club an email.

100GroundsProject

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:19 pm

I picked one up for a fiver from the club a couple of months ago.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:16 am

Talking of the Stars and Stripes book, does anyone know which match the photo on the back cover comes from (the one with Charlie surrounded by fans and policemen) Is this at Twerton and when about does it date from?

I'd post the pic here if someone can tell me how to do it Smile
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Azlimey Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:03 am

Freeview Joe wrote:Talking of the Stars and Stripes book, does anyone know which match the photo on the back cover comes from (the one with Charlie surrounded by fans and policemen) Is this at Twerton and when about does it date from?

I'll stand corrected Joe but isn't that a pic of Bernard Bresslaw-a great comic of his day, and with many appearances in the 'Carry On Films' and also starring Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey, Sid James. It does look a bit like Charlie but Bresslaw was a frequent player for the T.V. Entertainers XI and this occasion was a Charity game against Bath City(circa '59 or '60).

Azlimey

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 am

Azlimey wrote:
Freeview Joe wrote:Talking of the Stars and Stripes book, does anyone know which match the photo on the back cover comes from (the one with Charlie surrounded by fans and policemen) Is this at Twerton and when about does it date from?

I'll stand corrected Joe but isn't that a pic of Bernard Bresslaw-a great comic of his day, and with many appearances in the 'Carry On Films' and also starring Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey, Sid James. It does look a bit like Charlie but Bresslaw was a frequent player for the T.V. Entertainers XI and this occasion was a Charity game against Bath City(circa '59 or '60).

Do you know what Azlimey, you're right, it is Bernard Bresslaw! (I wondered what kit 'Charlie' was wearing, now I know it must be the TV entertainers own one.)

I was interested to find out where and when it dated from as I think my Mum and my Auntie are in the crowd. Thanks so much for the info!

I'd forgotten about those Entertainers Charity games. I remember attending one at Twerton myself in the 70s which I'm sure Richard Beckinsale (of Porridge and Rising Damp fame) played in (though it was so long ago for me, I might have dreamt it.) Don't know if anyone else remembers this and can confirm whether he played or not?

Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Copy of 'Stars In Stripes - The Official History Of Bath City Football Club' wanted. Empty Charlie Fleming or Bernard Bresslaw? Time to update S&S?

Post by Twerton Park Magic Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:05 pm

I was around Twerton in 1959/60. I'd always assumed that back cover pic was Charlie - the wide grin and the receding hairline. See picture on p.141 for grin, and pics on Internet for the hair! There's also something about that long, gangly look of the man.

I didn't go to Entertainment XI matches - money was short and I wanted to keep my money for league and cup matches. I'm still a bit like that - never see point of friendly matches for the fans although I can see it's important for the players. Unless it's the Gas of course.

The important point is this: when is Stars in Stripes going to be updated? It's a bit of a bible for me for BCFC history and as I get older, more recent memories fade first, and the book is now 15 years out of date. So how about it?

Twerton Park Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:51 pm

Like many I guess I went and checked the back of the book as I'd always assumed it was Charlie though never saw him play.
And yes it does seem to be BB. He would be so proud!

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Copy of 'Stars In Stripes - The Official History Of Bath City Football Club' wanted. Empty Stars in Stripes - and subsequent messages

Post by kingswood charlie Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:40 pm

On Sunday 7th May 1961 there was a 'Charity Match' between a 'TV All Stars X1' and 'Bath and West Managers X1'.

The Kingswood School Supporters group were there and my Scrapbook records a 6-6 draw! Further details include 8d for Transport, 1s 3d for Admission, 6d for a Programme (which despite much hunting I unfortunately cannot find) and very importantly 6d for an Ice Cream. A total 2s 11d (15p) for the afternoon.

I have no note of the Scorers so cannot confirm whether Charlie scored, or whether he even played. However I clearly remember Bernard Bresslaw playing, in goal I think. My autograph book includes Dick Richardson (Boxer), Jess Conrad (Pop Singer), Norman Rossington (Actor), Michael Cox (Pop Singer) and someone with a Surname beginning with P who added " Be lucky". So there are 6 who I know definitely played.. Can anybody identify the other 16?!
kingswood charlie
kingswood charlie

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:59 pm

I'd puzzled over the photo on the back cover several times as it didn't quite look like Charlie. I think it must be Bernard Bresslaw as I read somewhere that he was 6'7'' tall and the player in the photo towers over the 2 policemen next to him. If ''Stars in Stripes'' is ever updated it would be great if where available attendance's could be included.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 pm

That's great Kingswood Charlie, thanks for the info! Superb record keeping as well to record all that in your scrapbook.

That particular game was bit before my time so can't help with the squad line ups I'm afraid. The one I saw I'm sure featured Bekinsale along with actor Tony Selby (of 'Get Some In' fame) and the then Bristol City manager Alan Dicks. When I was autograph hunting at half time, the signature I was most chuffed about getting was Colin Tavener's, who also featured in one of the teams.

And yes Micawber, Bernie Bresslaw was meant to have been a tall bloke.
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:59 am

For a time, the TV All Stars games at Twerton Park appear to have been an annual event. Certainly there was a game a year before the one mentioned by Kingswood Charlie. The date was Sunday 1 May, 1960, when the TV All Stars met a Bath & West XI. The All Stars line up included Roy Castle, Bernard Bresslaw, Anthony Newley, Ronnie Corbett, Mike and Bernie Winters, Pete Murray and Jess Conrad. The Bath & West XI line up was as follows: Vic Woodley in goal; Full backs Geoff Fox and Fred Ford; Half Backs Jackie Pitt, Roy Oakleigh, Harry Johnstone; Forwards Ted Bates, Pete Docherty, Billy Lucas, Alex Stock and Frank Broom. Older forum members will recognise some familiar names from Southampton (Bates), Yeovil (Stock), Rovers (Fox, Pitt), and Swansea (Lucas).

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:33 pm

Manchester Romans wrote:For a time, the TV All Stars games at Twerton Park appear to have been an annual event. Certainly there was a game a year before the one mentioned by Kingswood Charlie. The date was Sunday 1 May, 1960, when the TV All Stars met a Bath & West XI. The All Stars line up included Roy Castle, Bernard Bresslaw, Anthony Newley, Ronnie Corbett, Mike and Bernie Winters, Pete Murray and Jess Conrad. The Bath & West XI line up was as follows: Vic Woodley in goal; Full backs Geoff Fox and Fred Ford; Half Backs Jackie Pitt, Roy Oakleigh, Harry Johnstone; Forwards Ted Bates, Pete Docherty, Billy Lucas, Alex Stock and Frank Broom. Older forum members will recognise some familiar names from Southampton (Bates), Yeovil (Stock), Rovers (Fox, Pitt), and Swansea (Lucas).

Absolutely superb historical information Manchester Romans! If you've got the programme for this game (and you don't mind doing a scan) it would be great to see. Please feel free to upload it here ...

http://www.45spaces.com/association-football-programmes/
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:32 pm

I've seen Pete Doherty play Smile

Pete Doherty is an English musician, songwriter, actor, poet, writer, and artist. He is best known for being co-frontman of the Libertines and playing football for the Bath and West XI against the TV All Stars at Twerton Park, Bath, in 1960. He formed the Libertines with Carl Barât in 1997. His other musical projects are indie band Babyshambles and Peter Doherty and the Puta Madres.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:40 pm

He's also rubbish and a QPR supporter.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Park Magic Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:03 pm

Great to hear from Kingswood Charlie again!!
Isn't it about time you got yourself down to Twerton again?
Maybe Easter - we are home to Gloucester on Monday 2 April.
pm me and we can talk more about that.

NO VOLUNTEER TO DO THE UPDATE YET THEN????????????????

Twerton Park Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:29 pm

If only there was an author amongst us, John.... Wink
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down