Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gosport pub

+4
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
Ashley
Eddie Hitler
8 posters

Go down

Gosport pub Empty Gosport pub

Post by Eddie Hitler Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:52 pm

It gives me great pleasure to ask this question, as it's my first 'proper' away trip this season.
Me and a few lads on our annual jolly-boys away-day. A couple of beers in Portsmouth, then the ferry and bus to the ground hopefully to meet-up with a few other City-travellers (if you'll have us).
What pub?
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Gosport pub Empty Re: Gosport pub

Post by Ashley Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:05 pm

Not the clubhouse No

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:20 pm

Ashley wrote:Not the clubhouse No
That bad?
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:23 pm

They might have done it up it was almost a year ago mind. Last year it was awful - walls peeling and no real ales

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:36 pm

I don't think I've been anywhere bar that clubhouse. Still have that abiding memory of Bobby Ford in there with a pint and fag on the go 15 minutes before kick-off despite the fact that he was named on the bench to make up the numbers.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:06 pm

Eddie - from the non league guide to grounds...

There is a Club House at the ground called 'Inn off the Post', which shows Sky Sports. Otherwise around a ten minutes walk away (from the ground entrance turn right and the pub is up by the roundabout) is the Cocked Hat pub. If arriving in Gosport town centre by bus or ferry, then there are plenty of pubs to choose from, including a Wetherspoons outlet called the Star, which is located on the High Street. Andy Dobbs adds; 'If you like your real and then I would recommend the Brewpot pub in Gosport town centre. It is owned and run by the Oakleaf Brewery and is located in North Cross Street, literally around the corner from Wetherspoons'.

Last year I went to this excellent pub...

http://www.junctiontavern.com/

You can get one of the following buses from near the ferry terminal - E1, 10, 11

It's about 15 mins walk to the ground from there.

See you on the high seas!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:30 pm

Well, we tried to get into the clubhouse for a pre-match drink, only to find that there is no access from outside the ground and the turnstiles were not open at quarter past one, now sat in the nearby Cocked Hat pub, spending my money there instead.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:42 pm

Ashley wrote:They might have done it up it was almost a year ago mind. Last year it was awful - walls peeling and no real ales

Credit where it's due, the clubhouse has been done up and looks smart. Don't know if they had any ales as I didn't have a drink there.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:59 pm

No ales - had to settle for Guinness for half-time pint. Cocked Hat was a family eatery but beer was ok
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:40 pm

I couldn't fault the friendliness of the staff in the club house

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Yes, apart from the rude woman in the stand who told Bas and myself to shut up Very Happy they were all very friendly, with several wishing us well for next week.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:02 pm

After the usual fun and games obtaining a press pass at Dover it was a pleasant change to return to a friendly steward, say "I'm the Bath City Photographer" and be let in without him needing to scan some form or even sign anything.

Didn't go to pub, Mr Giles and I opted for the chippy near the ground, which seemed to be in competition for the Cod Down chippy near me in who can provide the largest portion of "small" chips. After losing nearly half a stone in a week I'm pretty sure I put half of it back on after that. Was good though. First thing I'd eaten all day after I decided to wake up as the coach was pulling up at Odd Down.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:04 pm

comrade powell wrote:Yes, apart from the rude woman in the stand who told Bas and myself to shut up Very Happy they were all very friendly, with several wishing us well for next week.

Whose parent was it? Cool

I think even the keeper wished us well at the end, and a couple of fans stood behind me in the first half seemed complimentary about our trophy run. Must bring back memories for them. A kid behind me innocently asked his dad if as a photographer I would be paid the same as the players. I couldn't help but reply "I wish!"
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by thomasmaxbaer Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:19 pm

I thought I had accidentally ordered a large portion!

thomasmaxbaer

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:48 am

comrade powell wrote:Yes, apart from the rude woman in the stand who told Bas and myself to shut up Very Happy they were all very friendly, with several wishing us well for next week.

including their goalie after the final whistle - nice touch.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:33 am

Yes, the keeper did wish us well for the semi final, as did Gosport's assistant manager that we chatted to in the clubhouse after the game. He also mentioned that he thought a significant factor in them beating North Ferriby away was staying in a nearby hotel the night before. Apparently, the local press was focusing on Gosport's 500 mile round trip, but, in fact they had a relaxed morning ahead of the match, and were fully prepared for it, and probably had a shorter journey to the ground than most of the North Ferriby players. I assume that, given the team stayed in a hotel the night before the quarter final at Dover, the same will be happening for the second leg of the semi final.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down