Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manchester Meetup 1st March - ????

5 posters

Go down

Manchester Meetup 1st March - ???? Empty Manchester Meetup 1st March - ????

Post by Matt_1376 Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:25 pm

Yes - it's still on.

Meeting at 1pm in Port Street Beer House around the corner from Piccadilly station.

If you haven't already seen the details on the old forum then you don't know what you're missing out on!  Razz

Last edited by Matt_1376 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:49 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : No reason!)
Matt_1376
Matt_1376

Back to top Go down

Manchester Meetup 1st March - ???? Empty Train disruption

Post by pete mac Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:45 pm

Matt,

I have discovered that trains are delayed between Derby and Sheffield adding half an hour to my journey time. Are you still meeting? If so I'll check out my journey times to see if I can still do this.

Pete

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Manchester Meetup 1st March - ???? Empty Re: Manchester Meetup 1st March - ????

Post by Matt_1376 Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Meetup is now cancelled.

Thank you to those that showed an interest.  Wink 

Will try and arrange something for next season, when City are in Conf Prem!
Matt_1376
Matt_1376

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Matt, I don't mind hosting it in Frome. We can meet at the Frome Flyer.... Very Happy
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Matt

We'll definitely do this. Besides Manchester we could look at Sheffield or Liverpool.

Sorry we couldn't get this one off the ground.

Pete

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:26 pm

Sorry to hear that - was looking forward to it. Let me know if it gets rearranged!

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt_1376 Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:39 pm

Manchester Romans wrote:Sorry to hear that - was looking forward to it. Let me know if it gets rearranged!

I had to tell Petemcc not to bother because his trains are going to be all over the place and I still wasn't sure if you would attend.

I PM'd you on the old forum but the old forum got closed so I didn't have a clue what was going on until Petemccc PM'd me on this new forum to tell me about his train problems.

Aaaargh!  Mad 

I'm still going to Manchester tomorrow anyway, but might be later than I had planned to get there because I've now decided to do overtime in work in the morning.

I can get to Port Street Beer House for 1.30pm if you still want to meet up???

Suppose it's too late to let Petemcc know - he's probably got other plans now - will PM him now.

Rolling Eyes 
Matt_1376
Matt_1376

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt_1376 Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Thought I'd let you know that I had a great time in Manchester the other week - on my own!  Laughing 

I went to the Port Street Beer House and then to the Marble Arch as planned and sampled some excellent beers (Harbour Brewery Mango & Chilli IPA 7% abv anyone!?).

Lack of free wifi meant I couldn't use my iPad to listen to the commentary so instead I had to use the 3G on my phone to follow the game on Matchat. (I've never been able to get the commentary to work on my Blackberry).

I then found a pub for the 2nd half called the English Lounge opposite the Arndale shopping centre that claimed to have free wifi, but it didn't work! Had a nice pint of Robinson's "The Trooper" (Iron Maiden endorsed beer) though.

So I ended up in BrewDog bar on Peter Street followed by Briton's Protection by The Bridgewater Hall which, surprise surprise, had free wifi and it worked! But the City match was well over by then.

I decided to have one more pint before getting the train home and asked the barman in Briton's Protection if anywhere close by would be showing the Southampton v Liverpool game. He recommended a pub around the corner called the City Road Inn which was as uninviting as the awful Full Moon on Twerton High Street!

I walked in just as Raheem Sterling scored and as I approached the bar I let out a silent "YEEES!" and punched my fist into the air - which was probably not a clever thing to do in a pub in Manchester, as I soon found out when the barman tried to charge me £4 for a pint of Strongbow. Some neanderthal looking locals who could have passed for extras in Coronation Street started laughing, along with the barman who said something along the lines of "if you don't want it you can go elsewhere" which translated as "get out of here you Scouse git"! (Funnily enough, the only other time a barman in Manchester has tried to rip me off after he clocked that I was from Liverpool was in a bar just 100m away by Deansgate station).

So I told the barman at the City Road Inn where he could shove his pint of watered down Strongbow and departed, giving the middle finger salute as I left, and instead went to the Thirsty Scholar under the railway arches by Oxford Road station and had a very nice pint of Hornbeam Chocolate Domination stout that only cost £3.

It turned out to be a good day, what with City getting a draw, I sampled some decent beers and it didn't rain - which is amazing because normally when I go to Manchester it pours down, even in the Summer!
Matt_1376
Matt_1376

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:31 pm

Nice day out Matt.  An even better one today as we played some super football.  cheers
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down