Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

St Albans will be a challenge

+5
yuffie
Paul1978
Luton Roman
2weirdtown
City 'til we're relegated
9 posters

Go down

St Albans will be a challenge Empty St Albans will be a challenge

Post by City 'til we're relegated Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:10 pm

They are unbeaten in their last eight matches. Last 3 games - 4-0, 0-0, 6-0. They are second in the Form guide and we are ninth.

City 'til we're relegated

Back to top Go down

St Albans will be a challenge Empty Re: St Albans will be a challenge

Post by 2weirdtown Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:55 pm

1-0 to the City then!
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

yuffie and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:43 pm

Starting to turn their form around before their manager Noble went to Wealdstone. New guy Meakes seems to favour a more attacking style and starts star attacker Jeffers whereas Noble kept him as an impact striker from the bench. That split the fans, but a draw at Hampton, 4-0 win at Torquay and the 6-0 over Taunton certainly gives them momentum.

But, hey City have that too and we are at home. Need the crowd up for this, they're bringing a mini bus full and I would imagine a fair few by car and train.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:38 pm

Will be a challenge for St Albans too. 4 clean sheets in a row for us. Attacking line up from us. Should be a cracker. No need to fear anyone.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:46 pm

Luton Roman wrote:Starting to turn their form around before their manager Noble went to Wealdstone. New guy Meakes seems to favour a more attacking style and starts star attacker Jeffers whereas Noble kept him as an impact striker from the bench. That split the fans, but a draw at Hampton, 4-0 win at Torquay and the 6-0 over Taunton certainly gives them momentum.

Definitely sounds a change from how they played at their place - particularly in the first half - when they spent most of the time slowly passing around the back. I was reminded of this last night when Gary Neville was criticising Chelsea for the same thing.

Obviously St Albans had to change in the second half when we were 2-0 up but without any great effect.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:53 pm

Well how good was that people?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:11 pm

I thought we were very good. An excellent all round team performance with the defence keeping a tight rein on the dangerous Jeffers until he did what he’s so good at but by then the game was won. Quite why St Albans persisted with their risky playing out from the back was a mystery and we took full advantage of their mistakes. I’m sometimes critical of Smith and Clark but they both made great contributions today while Alabi’s goal celebration was probably the reason four minutes were added on!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:15 pm

Good solid performance against a team that is very similar to us in the way they play and their physique. They play it out from the back and we were happy to let them have it in their own half for the most part. But every now and then we would press them and they surprisingly coughed up a load of chances. They got lucky a couple of times before Tom Smith finally made sure of one just before the break.
Second half they were starting to look threatening when we got the second closing down yet another back pass which the goalie swung a leg at and missed and Chin darted in to put it away.
Alabi raced clear but his shot was blocked. The ball looped up in the air and he had the presence of mind to nod it into the far corner.
Unfortunately we backed off too much affording Jeffers room to ruin Casa Grande's shut out record which was a shame as we had been defensively strong.
Clarke earned MOM but any of the defenders could have got it too.
BenE
BenE

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:17 pm

comrade powell wrote:while Alabi’s goal celebration was probably the reason four minutes were added on!

Yes that's what I surmised too.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:29 pm

Easy to say that St Albans' incompetence/errors  allowed us a couple of goals but I tend to think that our constant pressing/harrying created problems that led to  those situations.
Like others I thought we saw the Tom Smith of a number  of years ago which was a real bonus. We had a great opportunity in the first few minutes for Richard Chin that was wasted.  From then on he did ok but did not seem to be making the best of situations until he got his goal. After that goal, until substituted, he seemed to be more confident and looked more dangerous.
Once again our defence was really strong with both Parselle and Dyer outstanding. I suppose if you are going to concede a goal for the first time in ages it might as well be in the last minute when you are 3-0 up!

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:25 pm

Yes agree with all above. Big House didn't have much in the way of saves to make. A complete all round performance.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:37 pm

BenE wrote:
comrade powell wrote:while Alabi’s goal celebration was probably the reason four minutes were added on!

You should not forget all the substitutions!!!!!

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:47 pm

Peter Newman wrote:We had a great opportunity in the first few minutes for Richard Chin that was wasted.  From then on he did ok but did not seem to be making the best of situations until he got his goal. After that goal, until substituted, he seemed to be more confident and looked more dangerous.

I thought it was an interesting duel between Chin and their No18 who looked a very assured defender. Chin worked really hard and eventually got his reward.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:32 pm

BenE wrote:

Tbf the goal to kick off time was way less than 2 mins, subs main reasons for extra time.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down