Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Farnborough thread

+8
Paul1978
Midsomer-steve
comrade powell
daven
2weirdtown
LB
kermit
Luton Roman
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Farnborough thread Empty Farnborough thread

Post by Luton Roman Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:41 pm

£1 booking fee for tickets online, but not at the gate.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Farnborough thread Empty Re: Farnborough thread

Post by kermit Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:50 pm

As Pete Towshend wrote...I call that a bargain, the best I ever had. How is it going in Spain.

kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:54 pm

kermit wrote:As Pete Towshend wrote...I call that a bargain, the best I ever had. How is it going in Spain.

Warm by day, cool in the evening, pretty darn perfect.
Back for Farnborough.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:28 pm

Hopefully the Farnborough 'supporters' who were responsible for the racist incident at Chippenham and attacking home fans at Slough last week won't be around tomorrow.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:27 pm

Are Farnborough one of those many mythical Nat South 'full time' clubs?
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by daven Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:48 pm

Interesting that our new loan signing is a winger, so who may give way, maybe Clark?

daven

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:13 pm

daven wrote: Interesting that our new loan signing is a winger, so who may give way, maybe Clark?

See it as squad strengthening with a couple of midweek and challenging Saturday games upcoming. JT and Euan young lads who are doing us proud, but musnt burn them out.

Luton Roman

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:20 pm

LB wrote:Hopefully the Farnborough 'supporters' who were responsible for the racist incident at Chippenham and attacking home fans at Slough last week won't be around tomorrow.

There are several clubs in this league who have attracted the support of teenage wannabe football hooligans but online comments suggest that those causing problems at Farnborough are older. Sounds like their club have finally woken up and banned some of them.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:46 pm

daven wrote: Interesting that our new loan signing is a winger, so who may give way, maybe Clark?

Hope not, but in recent games he has not been an automatic choice for starting.

Am a bit perturbed by the loan signing though - Fletch was not given a further contract, and has since proved that he may well be coming back to his old self by immediately scoring for his new Club, but I had wrongly assumed that we didn't keep hold of him because the money had run out!

By the way - of more immediate concern - who will be in goal for us against Yeovil?!
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:44 am

A couple of knowledgeable sources on Facebook are saying Joe Raynes, with him playing in goal v Frome as preparation. 
(don’t shoot me, I’m only the messenger!)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:01 pm

comrade powell wrote:A couple of knowledgeable sources on Facebook are saying Joe Raynes, with him playing in goal v Frome as preparation. 
(don’t shoot me, I’m only the messenger!)

Im shooting you Comrade as never thought you were one for conspiracy theories let alone spreading them !

Think the club has a cunning plan...?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:33 pm

What's Paul Evans up to these days?🤔
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:46 pm

I can't decide whether or not this a game of bluff, and we will unveil a real keeper (with the greatest respect to Joe) on the day of the game!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:58 pm

City twice came from behind at chilly Farnborough to get a point and could have won it if Cody Cooke's 80th min pen hadnt been saved by the home team's keeper and MoM. City started brightly with plenty of possession and passing but without creating any real threat or working the keeper. This allowed the home team to grow into the game and start to test the City defence. The home keeper was creative with his clearances and from one that soared over the City defence a home forward latched on, rounded Buse and Farnborough were 1 up. City responded well, started to up the tempo and from a cross Frear got on the end for a rare header to equalise. City's defence continued to be the busier as Farnborough sought to get in behind and create but it was 1-1 at ht.

Farnborough went back ahead with an early 2nd half pen that was blasted home by the big haired Kuhl who was at the heart of most of the home team's threat. Farnborough continued to press to put the game to bed without testing Buse. With JT getting frustrated on the right wing as teams are now doubling up to nullify his threat, the inevitable changes to personnel seemed to come late ,esp with JT already booked. Frear came off for Clark who went on the right and JT switched to the left. Straightway Clark was keen to get at his man and started to pose problems. Scott had a header down and wide when easier to get on target, New guy Oscar came on for JT and immediately showed blistering pace. Often looking for the ball inside the full back, once in synch with his team mates he could prove a tremendous asset. Batten flicked home another equaliser from a free kick and City looked the more likely to nick the winner. The chance came and went when a perhaps fortunate pen was well saved.

If you cant win, dont lose, and for the 2nd time this week City did just that. Probably didnt do enough to win tbh, crosses from both right and left were generally poor, not beating 1st man or too close to the keeper. JT run in 1st half where he kept us all guessing whether it would be a shot or a cross, all the way across the penalty area, until he lost the ball and got booked in frustration. Perhaps subs could have been done earlier given the impact and zest Euan and Oscar provided. But coming from behind twice, a point on the road and the unbeaten run continues, enough to give the very sizeable travelling support happy trips home.

Luton Roman

Beau Nash, daven and Mazzer like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:12 pm

A very good summary of another entertaining match. Would add that Wilson's cross for the first goal was sublime. I thought the penalty awarded to us was very generous so perhaps it was fitting that it was saved. And I agree, the big haired Kuhl was some player!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:45 am

LB wrote:I can't decide whether or not this a game of bluff, and we will unveil a real keeper (with the greatest respect to Joe) on the day of the game!
I say play Raynes in goal against Yeovil. We beat them with Raynes in goal it will be amazing. Would put them under severe pressure too win. He had the gloves on at Farnborough pre match stopping shots in warm up.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:50 am

carlos valderamma in midfield for farnborough was amazing. their best player. we deserved the 3 points though. they had 3 shots i can remember. 2 goals and skied one over the bar. we missed a few sitters and their keeper was pretty solid. sadly we have dopped 4 points i think over last 2 games as we clearly were all over hemel and today we edged it. annoying as others around us are dropping points too. who was blowing the trumpet? for me personally it got on my nerves, but each to their own.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:25 am

I will be interested to see how having four wingers pans out. I'm not a great fan of giving players less than 30 minutes in a game as it doesn't give them a chance to get into it.
Opposition teams are doubling, even trippling, up on Thomas and Clarke amd logicallly this should give room to other players to make a significant impact by getting into and exploiting the space created.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:31 am

Paul1978 wrote: who was blowing the trumpet? for me personally it got on my nerves, but each to their own.

Almost as bad as that dreadful band who follow England around. Completely drowns out the chants and singing. I thought the home crowd was very subdued - I read that some of their fans had stayed away in support of those who had been banned.

Last edited by comrade powell on Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
comrade powell
comrade powell

Dave likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:25 am

BenE wrote:I will be interested to see how having four wingers pans out. I'm not a great fan of giving players less than 30 minutes in a game as it doesn't give them a chance to get into it.
Opposition teams are doubling, even trippling, up on Thomas and Clarke amd logicallly this should give room to other players to make a significant impact by getting into and exploiting the space created.
4 bloody good wingers. that new one thorn was bloody class. what a quartet to pick from. frear is a veteran but still a delicious left foot. thomas, clark and thorn have immense skill and talent. thomas was double marked all game. but still scares defenders. clark so exciting. thorn powerful and direct. id rather have 4 exciting wingers than 2. positive attacking football although i dont know who'd id start. probably thomas and clark. how strong was our bench yesterday!
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by daven Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:52 am

Yes, a very exciting team we have. This new winger Oscar looks a good signing, and our manager rates him highly. We will probably see him Tuesday evening, normally our gates are not so high when we play in the Somerset Cup, but I think we may get a bigger crowd than we normally do in this cup, and Frome are in good form too at the moment!

daven

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:17 pm

daven wrote:Yes, a very exciting team we have. This new winger Oscar looks a good signing, and our manager rates him highly. We will probably see him Tuesday evening, normally our gates are not so high when we play in the Somerset Cup, but I think we may get a bigger crowd than we normally do in this cup, and Frome are in good form too at the moment!
i think we'll get a low crowd. we have 4 home games in a row coming up. 2 big league games and 1 big fa trophy game. i cant see many going to the somerset cup game but fair play to those who do.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:11 pm

Paul1978 wrote:
BenE wrote:I will be interested to see how having four wingers pans out. I'm not a great fan of giving players less than 30 minutes in a game as it doesn't give them a chance to get into it.
4 bloody good wingers. that new one thorn was bloody class. what a quartet to pick from. frear is a veteran but still a delicious left foot. thomas, clark and thorn have immense skill and talent. thomas was double marked all game. but still scares defenders. clark so exciting. thorn powerful and direct. id rather have 4 exciting wingers than 2. positive attacking football although i dont know who'd id start. probably thomas and clark. how strong was our bench yesterday!

There was some youngster who did a lot of shouting.

Last edited by Colin Voutt on Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:48 pm

Don't understand that sentence Colin Voutt?
Paul1978
Paul1978

Dave likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:58 pm

some youngster did a lot of shouting? who? a sub? a player? the ball boy? a fan? the tea bar man? the programme seller? the 50/50 man? the tannoy man? mark stillman on the radio? yuffie behind his camera? lord diablo? powell? also what's that got to do with our 4 exciting wingers? bizarre.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next