Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goodbye Fletch!

+8
LB
2weirdtown
Ashley
Dave
Digger
PHILB1973#
Paul1978
comrade powell
12 posters

Go down

Goodbye Fletch! Empty Goodbye Fletch!

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:31 pm

Alex Fletcher has announced on social media that he is leaving the Club to take up a position at the PFA. Seems very poignant as it’s twelve months to the day since that dreadful incident in the Dulwich match. As we feared the very worse that awful evening it’s wonderful that he has made such a recovery and it was so good that he was able to make those two short appearances this season. Just a pity that his last appearance was on that disappointing day at Worthing.
All the very best to you, Fletch, and thank you for some great memories!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash, Luton Roman, Paul1978 and Mazzer like this post

Back to top Go down

Goodbye Fletch! Empty Re: Goodbye Fletch!

Post by Paul1978 Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:43 pm

All the best Fletch. What a player and man. Played for us and was amazing for us with an outstanding goal ratio when we were struggling a bit after covid 19 break, with a weaker team so imagine what he'd be like now in this team. Such a shame as he would definitely have got back in the football league. As always health more important than football. So glad he got 10 minutes on the pitch at TP this season.
Paul1978
Paul1978

comrade powell, Beau Nash, 2weirdtown, Midsomer-steve and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:13 am

I've written my thanks and farewells elsewhere but what a player, what a man.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:43 pm

A true inspiration to us all. Let's hope we never have to witness an incident like that again.

Digger

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:10 pm

Just an incredible young mun with incredible human spirit. Privileged to have seen him make his comeback and some of the steps along the way, truly humbling.

All the best at your new Club, Alex.

Dave

comrade powell and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:01 pm

Weston have unveiled Alex as their new signing tonight. Not sure what to make of that.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:21 pm

Perhaps he has more chance of some playing time there?
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:51 pm

Loyalty in football is a yesterday word. The decent thing for him would have been to stay with the club this season and then leave. We stood by him during that awful time and are repaid like this.

Digger

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:20 pm

Digger wrote:Loyalty in football is a yesterday word. The decent thing for him would have been to stay with the club this season and then leave. We stood by him during that awful time and are repaid like this.

Without knowing the facts, seems like you are being a bit harsh on him. Could be that we are looking to strengthen the squad, which currently numbers just 16, and need players who are able to step in straightaway. Hopefully more will become clear in the next few days.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:33 pm

Digger wrote:Loyalty in football is a yesterday word. The decent thing for him would have been to stay with the club this season and then leave. We stood by him during that awful time and are repaid like this.

Christ mate, he very nearly gave his life for us, that's more than enough loyalty for me. He's probably been 'decent' enough by not having Injury Lawyers 4U all over us.

I'd have loved nothing more than for him to have gotten back to his best here, but he's not close enough to the level yet and he's not gonna get near if he's not playing. It's best for both parties and I'm delighted for him that he's gotten himself a good contract.

Dave

Beau Nash, 2weirdtown, Luton Roman and Paul1978 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:26 am

He had to do what was best for him.

I can't imagine how it would feel for him playing at Twerton regularly when he is sprinting toward the Bristol end.

New start.

Steve Whites Missus

Beau Nash and Paul1978 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:35 am

Dave wrote: He's probably been 'decent' enough by not having Injury Lawyers 4U all over us.

Interesting point. Has anything been done in the way of 'padding' on the advertising hoardings? I only ask as I think there have been at least two similar incidents since the Dulwich abandoned match, both on away grounds and involving opposing players - correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it was at Eastbourne back in August and, according to the highlights, at Weymouth on Tuesday. Fortunately it didn't appear that either player sustained injuries anything like Fletch's.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:19 pm

Could someone copy and paste the text - https://www.instagram.com/p/CzY8bevIlsa/?img_index=1 - alex_fletcher9 08/11/2022 - I don't have Instagram and can't scroll the post due to the technicalities of the website design. Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:34 pm

The idea that he hit advertising hoardings should be laid to rest. They are just flimsy plastic sheets fixed to and hiding the wall.
Having a concrete wall around the pitch to keep the punters off it is a pretty standard approach. Higher level teams have been able to remove the wall by having all seater stadia. The advertising hoardings there are then much lower.
There needs to be an alternative to the concrete wall as a safe means of providing a barrier. A steel barrier would present its own dangers.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:04 pm

I don’t see what you could have to replace a barrier between pitch and terraces which wasn’t as solid as a wall. But what is needed is some sort of protection for players if they collide with it.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:32 pm

Just an opinion, but, on horse racing courses they replaced wooden barriers with malleable plastic fencing, which has proved to be just as protective against intrusion between areas as it has been on the occasions when horses inadvertently collide with them - and far less dangerous!
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:42 pm

Some idiot stole the pens for the signing of Fletchers Banner behind the Bath End. Players signed front. 3 fans signed back then 4 pens got nicked.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:56 am

comrade powell wrote:I don’t see what you could have to replace a barrier between pitch and terraces which wasn’t as solid as a wall. But what is needed is some sort of protection for players if they collide with it.

I agree but the entire wall would need to be protected. I can imagine the wall covered in those plastic wrapped foam blocks that they make kiddy play areas from.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:31 pm

I think the Instagram statement that Fletch put out was (perhaps intentionally?) a bit misleading with no mention of his signing for Weston - reading it the impression was very much that he was leaving to work for the PFA.

Weston's announcement that he has signed for them was a bit odd as well - it shows him wearing a City shirt and makes absolutely no mention of the accident.

As for what you do about the surrounding walls, in more than 50 years of watching City I can't recall another player being injured from colliding with them, and you would think that with the slope and the fact they are closer this would be more of a risk at the Bath end.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:12 pm

"The Whippet" (Craig Davidge) c. 2006, collided with the Bath end wall and went to hospital. It is a rare event.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:15 pm

So are car crashes but only a fool doesn’t wear a seat belt.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down