Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WSM Thread

+5
2weirdtown
Luton Roman
Ashley
comrade powell
BenE
9 posters

Go down

WSM Thread Empty WSM Thread

Post by BenE Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:01 pm

Looks like it is going to be a pleasant evening weather wise so maybe Weston will bring a few.
Mannings, Morton and Edwards will be familiar faces.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

WSM Thread Empty Re: WSM Thread

Post by comrade powell Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:10 am

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:46 pm

The defence was solid on Saturday without either Batten or Dyer. If we continue this good form it might be difficult for either to force their way in.
This is a much better position than last season where if a defender was fit they played.and any injury resulted in midfielders playing out of position.
BenE
BenE

Luton Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:29 pm

That went slightly less well than Saturday

Ashley

yuffie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:35 pm

Balanced vitriol please. Not there but difficult to see how wexwent from Saturday's performance to tonight's result. Maidstone won at Braintree so they picked up.

Only game 3, no doubt lock in dressing room and harsh words. Let's see the reaction.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:44 pm

Should’ve been ahead in the first 15 when we looked really bright and created quite a few chances. Paid the penalty when they scored against the run of play, and rather than that spurring us on it knocked the stuffing right out of us.

Second before HT gave us a mountain to climb and the second half was dreadful to be honest, the two consolation goals at the end not masking a horror show.

Ashley

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:47 pm

After a purple ten minutes in which we failed to test the keeper we were played off the park. There will be some tired legs tonight from chasing shadows.
Fans turned on Jerry very quickly which was a surprise, but taking Russe off at HT didn't work out too well.
Looks like Morgan will be out for a while too.

Last edited by BenE on Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:52 pm

I wouldn't have said their first goal was against the run of play. They had taken control with some slick passing and movement.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:53 pm

Reminds me of an August evening several seasons back when we got stuffed 2-5 by Chippenham and Dave Pratt.
😠

2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:56 pm

Luton Roman wrote:Balanced vitriol please. Not there but difficult to see how wexwent from Saturday's performance to tonight's result.

A lot to do with our opponents. Weston tonight were on a different planet to both Dartford and Maidstone. An extremely fit, well drilled, skilful team with clinical finishing. Strangely I can think of several City performances last season which were worse than tonight’s but if the league really is stronger this time then tonight’s result is very worrying. For all the hype about these local derbies it’s worth remembering that three of those seven opponents will be highly motivated against us. I’m sure you know why.
comrade powell
comrade powell

BenE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:30 am

Didn't think was total lost cause at half time if we got goal back early but taking off Russe left our midfield like it has been so often in the past and Weston just ran through it. Would have sacrificed Smith or Hayfield instead.

LB

comrade powell and BenE like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:39 am

While it’s more brutal than I even expected, anyone who hasn’t seen something like that coming needs their head examined.

There are a lot more resourceful, better coached local sides than ourselves. We will do well to match last seasons haul with this current set up. The Twitter poll speaks volumes.

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:57 am

LB wrote:Didn't think was total lost cause at half time if we got goal back early but taking off Russe left our midfield like it has been so often in the past and Weston just ran through it. Would have sacrificed Smith or Hayfield instead.

I can only imagine that Russe was injured and couldn't continue. Otherwise it comes across as an amazing decision to withdraw him and it clearly didn't work.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:10 am

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=norway+v+england+1981+commentary&view=detail&mid=CC5D6EE7B08E47C76376CC5D6EE7B08E47C76376&FORM=VIRE

Jerry Gill, Paul Williams, Charlie Fleming, Basil, Amy Williams, John Wood the Elder, Midge Ure, Mary Berry, Jeremy Guscott, Jacob Rees Mogg, Ken Loach, Jane Austin, Bill Bailey, Jon Wood the Younger, Beau Nash, Bladud OUR BOYS TOOK A HELL OF A BEATING.

turnstyle13

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:55 am

I'm sure we will be told there were positives to take from last night. At times in the second half I was thinking now we know how Brazil felt when the Germans ended their WC dreams so emphatically and wondered if our record home league defeat would be broken. So the positive I take is that it's still intact! For the record - City 1-8 Kidderminster (55/56). The last team to score six against us at Twerton were Kettering in 1984. Let's hope it's another 40 years before there's a repeat.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:18 pm

Weirdly I thought the first 10(15?) was some of the most exciting attacking football we've played in years, and then it fell apart.

I was annoyed to read talk of a "brilliant" or "outstanding" performance on Saturday, as I thought it was overselling what was a good result, but until we scored two quick goals it was the same as last season's home performances, equally people reacting like the sky has fallen in after one (admittedly harrowing!) defeat is as ridiculous.

Weston were superb, and will threaten a lot of teams if they continue like this - Grubb is too good for this level but clearly it works for him - (although how much was it a collective City losing their minds that made Weston look amazing?) and we're probably a midtable side, that will inevitably revert to Gill's normal style of football for the next month or so, expect lots of pointless possession, but importantly a lot more defensive stability.

Jon_BOA

comrade powell, Beau Nash and 2weirdtown like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:29 pm

Having watched the highlights -

Five of WSM's goals were mainly caused by City's defensive errors...Morgan 2, Smith 1, Raynes 1 and Wright 1; sorry lads.

I liked the work of Clark, a nightmare for defenders; he will create many scoring opportunities. Need Cooke up front to work with Wilson and be on the end of crosses from both wings.

With this squad of seventeen players, all capable of holding down a starting eleven place, the permutations are many. Currently the selection is from fifteen so four for the bench is not an easy decision.

Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:42 pm

Agree with you about Cooke and Wilson. Seems odd to be rotating the striker whose goals possibly kept us in this division and another who was given a new two year contract. Understandable perhaps away to Dartford but not at home.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:37 am

[quote="Beau Nash"]Having watched the highlights -

Five of WSM's goals were mainly caused by City's defensive errors...Morgan 2, Smith 1, Raynes 1 and Wright 1;  sorry lads.

I liked the work of Clark, a nightmare for defenders; he will create many scoring opportunities. Need Cooke up front to work with Wilson and be on the end of crosses from both wings.

With this squad of seventeen players, all capable of holding down a starting eleven place, the permutations are many.  Currently the selection is from fifteen so four for the bench is not an easy decision.

Think you might have missed Batten's mistake there who came on for Morgan.

Cant see how Thomas, Clark, Cooke and Wilson can all start unless you have Raynes and Greenslade really pushing onto midfield roles.

What is Tom Smith adding?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:57 am

Tom is playing just behind the striker which is probably why we aren't starting with both strikers. Tom has been good so far with Russe behind him.

I think it a bit of a stretch to say they were all defensive mistakes. We simply did not have the ball. Indeed the legion started chanting if we managed to retain it for more than one pass.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:24 pm

Luton Roman wrote:

Think you might have missed Batten's mistake there who came on for Morgan.

Cant see how Thomas, Clark, Cooke and Wilson can all start unless you have Raynes and Greenslade really pushing onto midfield roles.

What is Tom Smith adding?

Agreed, I can see it in my mind; I will look again at the highlights. [/quote]
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down