Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ebbsfleet Game last Saturday

+3
Luton Roman
comrade powell
Midsomer-steve
7 posters

Go down

Ebbsfleet Game last Saturday Empty Ebbsfleet Game last Saturday

Post by Midsomer-steve Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:58 am

As there has been no spectator report to add this comment to, I would just like to say, having now watched the videoed highlights of the match, that I agree whole heartedly with the post-match comments made by Jerry. I thought that both of our goals should have stood, especially the second one (by Cody) - but to counter these positive observations, it was sacrilege to concede their first goal in the manner that we did. I am all for sensibly playing the ball out of defence, but it can be fraught with danger, and this one moment of carelessness, was, to me, the most pivotable moment of the match. Their heads were then up, but until then there was nothing between the two teams.
To me, Ebbsfleet were no better than us, factoring in the effect of their gift of a goal. Well played lads - we'll show 'em at Twerton.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Ebbsfleet Game last Saturday Empty Re: Ebbsfleet Game last Saturday

Post by comrade powell Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:16 pm

With respect, Steve, I don’t think you can form opinions like some of those just by viewing a few highlights (excellent though the service provided by Dave is!)
I’m afraid we were second best for much of the match and I got the impression that Ebbsfleet could have engaged a higher gear if needed. I really don’t think the decision on our first disallowed goal can be questioned from what you see there and perhaps we need to accept the view of the assistant who was right in line.
As for the second, standing behind the goal we had a much better view  and couldn’t understand it being disallowed. However watching the replay I’m not so sure. What I can say is there would have been as many complaints from us had it been given against City as there was from the Slough camp regarding Monday’s penalty award.
Re Parselle’s error, it wasn’t a case of playing the ball out of defence - he had intercepted a pass.
Hope there’s sufficient interest in the coaches to see you at an away ground soon!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:37 am

Thank you for your comments Martin. I understood that a few souls made it to this match, but it was still strange to have not seen a single posting about the match afterwards. Still a woeful ball back to the goalie by Parcelle, but he is a very good player (as are all the others) and I doubt he will do that again.
Your last sentence sums up why I wanted to stir things up by writing something, all be it on the limited knowledge of seeing a fifteen minute highlights video, and the usual super-optimism generated by our manager's post-match interview. I think we do need to remain 'triumphant' in defeat, against the League leaders, and I was trying to generate every ounce of optimism in the hope that others would possibly share with me. By the way I have put my name down to travel on all four away games so far this season - so sad that there has only been a coach to go to one of them.
I am disappointed, to say the least, that this fixture did not generate sufficient interest to allow a coach to run. I was one of thirteen who would have gone there, but unfortunately some of the thirteen would only travel on a large coach, so hiring a mini-bus was out of the question.
Furthermore, I have heard that some others who dismissed going there simply said that it was too far. Wow - we definitely need more dedicated followers behind the team when we reach the next levels in the pyramid!
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Beau Nash, Midsomer-chris and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:12 am

Midsomer-steve wrote:Thank you for your comments Martin. I understood that a few souls made it to this match, but it was still strange to have not seen a single posting about the match afterwards. Still a woeful ball back to the goalie by Parcelle, but he is a very good player (as are all the others) and I doubt he will do that again.
Your last sentence sums up why I wanted to stir things up by writing something, all be it on the limited knowledge of seeing a fifteen minute highlights video, and the usual super-optimism generated by our manager's post-match interview. I think we do need to remain 'triumphant' in defeat, against the League leaders, and I was trying to generate every ounce of optimism in the hope that others would possibly share with me. By the way I have put my name down to travel on all four away games so far this season - so sad that there has only been a coach to go to one of them.
I am disappointed, to say the least, that this fixture did not generate sufficient interest to allow a coach to run. I was one of thirteen who would have gone there, but unfortunately some of the thirteen would only travel on a large coach, so hiring a mini-bus was out of the question.
Furthermore, I have heard that some others who dismissed going there simply said that it was too far. Wow - we definitely need more dedicated followers behind the team when we reach the next levels in the pyramid!

Agreed, it would be nice to have a thread on each game to prompt comments good, bad or indifferent.

On coaches, we have to accept that league games in far flung Essex, Kent and Sussex will not generate enough numbers...perhaps until we hit high play off spots. Chip have a coach sponsor enabling significant reductions, like £18 to Worthing. We do so well on marketing and profile and the club and supporters club can't address every issue, but JG did mention the need for more away support, but how do we do it?

Luton Roman

comrade powell and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:33 am

There are more comments here - https://www.facebook.com/groups/232866411968 - AND - https://twitter.com/JerryGill_2/status/1566809724598755328 - Jerry discusses  Wink  the game with an "Ebbsfleet Utd Fan".

As Luton Roman points out the cost of away travel is prohibitive, not just the coach but the total cost of the day and the time it takes out of a Saturday; not much change from £50.

City's social media and match coverage is outstanding but nothing beats seeing the game live.
I am very tempted to attend the Chelmsford game, 7th v 4th (current table), as that promises to be more exciting, nail biting, entertainment between two in form sides, 5th v 6th (last 6 matches) with another big crowd. bounce
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:40 pm

Yes, good points about lack of comments on some matches. I suggest it might be best to start a thread before the match which happens on several other forums....

https://bathcityfc.forumotion.co.uk/t2920-chelmsford-thread

Re coaches to away matches - any suggestions will be gratefully received and discussed by the SC. We did pass on what we felt was a very good idea to the Club regarding sponsorship but unfortunately this wasn't followed up. And surveys carried out last season didn't suggest that high costs is the main reason for insufficient interest in some trips.

As Steve mentioned, mini buses are not popular especially for some very long trips. LR asked how can we encourage more to travel - as far as SC coaches are concerned the 'regulars' have been incredibly loyal. However the majority are rather mature and we really need to attract more of the younger age group. There were twice as many concessions as younger adults on the recent Farnborough coach. Home attendances have increased dramatically in the past year but while there was excellent away support at Chippenham and Hungerford last season it seems that the 'newer fans' aren't prepared to travel to Essex, Kent etc.

Of course not everyone who travels away uses the coach. But to help those who prefer the latter we are now aiming to state at least two months in advance which coaches will definitely run, which definitely won't and those which will if there's sufficient interest. You can see here that those to our next two matches will definitely run...

https://bathcityfcsc.com/upcoming-trips/
comrade powell
comrade powell

Luton Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:02 pm

Quite interesting point regarding increase in home attendances not leading onto more travelling support. It is noticeable there is a significant group of younger fans who travel in from Bradford on Avon/Trowbridge by rail but I have not seen them at any non-local away games. It is always possible that the lack of a local pick-up might have an impact but not sure that is the real reason.
In reality the never ending tours of the M25 season after season has to be a factor particularly with the ever increasing personal financial demands. Hopefully we can establish ourselves near the top of the league which, in turn will lead to more interest in away travel.

Peter Newman

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:32 pm

Beau Nash wrote:There are more comments here - https://www.facebook.com/groups/232866411968 - AND - https://twitter.com/JerryGill_2/status/1566809724598755328 - Jerry discusses  Wink  the game with an "Ebbsfleet Utd Fan".
Surely that's an imposter? It isn't seemly for a club manager to be arguing with opposition fans in a public forum no matter what the subject is. Jerry has more gravitas than that.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:48 pm

BenE wrote:
Beau Nash wrote:There are more comments here - https://www.facebook.com/groups/232866411968 - AND - https://twitter.com/JerryGill_2/status/1566809724598755328 - Jerry discusses  Wink  the game with an "Ebbsfleet Utd Fan".
Surely that's an imposter? It isn't seemly for a club manager to be arguing with opposition fans in a public forum no matter what the subject is. Jerry has more gravitas than that.

Makes a change from him arguing with his own fans...

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down