Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Design Project

4 posters

Go down

Design Project Empty Design Project

Post by LeSaux Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:56 am

Hi guys, just a couple of quick queries...

I'm re-designing the Bath City badge for a design project and just wanted some information - I can't seem to find it anywhere else, so I thought I'd ask you lot directly!

I'm after the history of the Bath City badge.

So far I've ascertained that you've had THREE badges during Bath City's lifespan:

1: The Current One (Black/White stripes, Red top)

2: The Roman One (Roman stood up, holding a spear)

3: The Coat of Arms One (based on the Bath Coat of Arms logo - sword against red brick)

Does anyone know the timeline of these? What years they were introduced?

Has there been any other Bath City badges apart from these three?

One last question - does anyone know if Bath City will be using the older 'coat of arms' Badge this season, due to it being the 125th anniversary, or are they just sticking with the current one?

Any help would be amazing, thanks.

LeSaux

Back to top Go down

Design Project Empty Re: Design Project

Post by Beau Nash Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:55 am

Have you visited - http://www.bathcityfc.com/index_golf.htm - drop down menu Navigation / History - FOUR badges are shown.

Also - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_City_F.C. - has recently been updated as this season's new signing has been added.
 Very Happy
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSaux Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:21 am

Cool, thanks for the pointers.

I think that first badge of the four (Bath City site - History) is literally just the Bath coat of arms - do we know if they ever just used that by itself at one point?

In the meantime I'll have a read through that history section, could give me some answers - thanks!

LeSaux

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:35 am

hi le saux (is it graham?)

regarding the timelines of these badges, i've found some rough answers for you by looking at old photos in the city fans' bible - 'stars in stripes'...

there are many photos of match action and team line ups before the 1950s, but none show any badges. the only exception is a team photo from the 1890s with the letters BFC - this refers to Bath AFC, which according to the author was a separate club to the yet to be formed Bath City (but that's an argument for another thread!)

the first instance of a badge comes with a photo of alan skirton  - his shirt contains the coat of arms and he joined us in 56/57. unfortunately there are no photos from earlier in that decade, but i'm sure other fans may have old programmes which would confirm. the last photo in the book before this is from '48 - no badge.

i'm not sure how long the coat of arms badge was kept, but from the mid 60s when i started watching the shirts were badgeless and i think this continued until the 90s with the emergence of the roman one. someone like paul evans, who was on the board at the time, would probably have some details about its introduction. i'm not sure when the present badge was introduced but it's time for a new one or a return to the 1950s version!

hope this is of some help...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:40 am

comrade powell wrote:hi le saux (is it graham?)
or Graeme...  (old thumb up emoticon...)

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSaux Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:50 am

Palms wrote:
comrade powell wrote:hi le saux (is it graham?)
or Graeme...  (old thumb up emoticon...)

Haha, 'Graeme' indeed, good spot.

Comrade Powell, that is some GREAT information - much appreciated!

You've been a massive help, thanks

LeSaux

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:09 pm

You might try researching past players (same link then Past Players).

Comrade, maybe Daz and others, remember this - http://www.arsenal.com/history/profiles/65/frank-boulton - ah the good ol' days.  Wink 

There were a lot of black and white pictures on the old Forum and some of the supporters had newspaper cuttings.  Who was it that added something about Charlie Fleming or was it something else even earlier?

Ned did some research - http://www.nedvedsnotes.com/2009/07/introduction-to-bath-city-fc.html - maybe has more?
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSaux Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:54 pm

comrade powell wrote:
the first instance of a badge comes with a photo of alan skirton  - his shirt contains the coat of arms and he joined us in 56/57. unfortunately there are no photos from earlier in that decade, but i'm sure other fans may have old programmes which would confirm. the last photo in the book before this is from '48 - no badge.

i'm not sure how long the coat of arms badge was kept, but from the mid 60s when i started watching the shirts were badgeless and i think this continued until the 90s with the emergence of the roman one. someone like paul evans, who was on the board at the time, would probably have some details about its introduction. i'm not sure when the present badge was introduced but it's time for a new one or a return to the 1950s version!

hope this is of some help...

Comrade, one question - the 'coat of arms' badge on the picture of Skirton...

Is it just the coat of arms for Bath, as would appear on documentation...etc

or is it the amended version, with 'Bath City' and 'Football Club' written above and below?

On the history section of Bath City website, there are 4 images - the first being the coat of arms for Bath, the 4th being the amended version.
Which one is in the photo?

Thanks again

LeSaux

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:20 pm

LeSaux wrote:

Comrade, one question - the 'coat of arms' badge on the picture of Skirton...

Is it just the coat of arms for Bath, as would appear on documentation...etc

or is it the amended version, with 'Bath City' and 'Football Club' written above and below?  the latter. i'm not aware that we've ever used the official bath crest shown in the history section. presumably yuffie can explain as he would have compiled it.

On the history section of Bath City website, there are 4 images - the first being the coat of arms for Bath, the 4th being the amended version.
Which one is in the photo?

Thanks again
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSaux Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:45 am

On Facebook there's a really cool album of photos of old home kits. I was just wondering if anyone knows what this badge is?

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=637822909670291&id=613142248805024&set=a.637822896336959.1073741831.613142248805024&source=56

LeSaux

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:11 am

I'm guessing that it dates from the WW2 years, when the club had many guests playing for it. I'll check with my dad!

And what do you think of our latest kit? (Check the 'new kit' thread)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSaux Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:55 am

I love the use of the old badge on the new kit, it's definitely the best one out of all the badges Bath City have used before.

But I'm with Mark Tanner from the other thread, I think the additional red ribbon around the top isn't needed and takes away from the design somewhat.

But I still think overall it's an improvement from the previous plan black/white stripes logo.

What do you reckon?

LeSaux

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:33 am

anything would probably be an improvement on the bland corporate badge we have had for the past few years. but it was the shirt itself I was asking you about...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:54 am

LeSaux, that facebook photo you were asking about...

the player is stan mortensen who played for us during WW2 and in the late 50s. sorry to disappoint you, but he's wearing a blackpool shirt and badge as he turned out a few times for them as well!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSaux Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:57 am

Re: Stan Mortensen:

Ah, ok, thanks for finding out! I thought it looked unfamiliar! Nice work.

Re: The Kit:

Like some others have mentioned, the gap for the sponsor is massive. I don't actually mind the shirt overall, it's ok - hasn't blown me away though.

I probably would have moved the Jako logo to the left to add symmetry and balance out the badge on the right.

You a fan?

LeSaux

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:22 am

I'll wait until August when I see it in the flesh. I agree with others' comments that the sponsors' logo patch is far too big (brilliant value for £300!) and interferes too much with the stripes. Imagine that on the iconic Inter shirt (btw their new one will be criticised but it looks good to me)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down