Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Havant and W, home.

+6
stillmanjunior
tovid
Peter Newman
2weirdtown
comrade powell
Luton Roman
10 posters

Go down

Havant and W, home. Empty Havant and W, home.

Post by Luton Roman Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:58 pm

Now that was better. Full of intent from the moment they ran down the steps. Well done Jerry for fixing it tonight. Quicker more direct, good tempo, right players with right attitude all over the pitch. Fletcher fitted in well with pace and control Conway ever willing, now choices up front. Formation worked well and surprised Havant, certainly early on when we took the goals. Young lads answered the question about ability to battle. They did.

Strong and effective at the back, rarely let Havant have a sniff beyond their goal. Pen debatable, not often given even when keeper cleans out forward but Clarke was to the rescue. Commanding performance by him and the other heroes on a great comeback night for the City.

Luton Roman

comrade powell, 2weirdtown, pete mac and Maurice Ashman like this post

Back to top Go down

Havant and W, home. Empty Re: Havant and W, home.

Post by comrade powell Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:06 pm

Yes a very welcome win and doubly satisfying as it was against that club. Really impressed with Fletcher who constantly stretched their defence and looked unlucky to have a goal disallowed for offside. An excellent all round team effort.
comrade powell
comrade powell

2weirdtown and pete mac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:29 pm

Yes, back to the sort of gritty performance we saw season before last. Fletcher looked a real handful
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

pete mac and Maurice Ashman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:30 pm

Well- before this evening I would have been more than happy for the season to end. I am now hoping there will be a game to watch this weekend. Although in 2nd haif we had less of the play it still seemed we had a threat about us.

Strange irony but on Saturday, straight after our match, I watched the other team I support who then managed to concede an equaliser in the last minute of added time. Tonight their game was televised before City's match and they won. So an enjoyable double as opposed to double disappointment last Saturday.

Peter Newman

Maurice Ashman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:32 pm

I think this was the start of a new style of play - jerryball. It seemed to suit the players much better especially Tom Smith and Conway. Fletcher was exactly what we needed and lloyd james was terrific in midfield commanding the younger lads around him who responded admirably.
Where all the bookings, pen and 9 minutes of added time came from is anyone's guess.
Well done Jerry Jimmer and the lads.
tovid
tovid

comrade powell, pete mac and Maurice Ashman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:44 pm

It was a bit nervy in the end but I thought we were well worth that win. Thought it was a bit of an injustice that we were only 2-1 up at half time, Havant looked woeful and their one bit of class produced the goal.

The penalty was a strange one. To me Clarke’s attempted intervention came basically after the ball hit the advertising hoarding. It didn’t affect the shot. And if it was that bad, why was he not sent off? Then to add to the oddness Kedwell didn’t take it - he struck pens last season like Ryan Brunt. As soon as I saw the comical run-up I knew what would happen.

Very impressed with Fletcher, who came over well in the interview too, and James had a blinder. In terms of Havant, they could afford to not have Iaciofano in the squad which shows the level of players they have. He tore us apart with St Albans last year. They were well off their performance from the cup game and we were miles better.

If that’s it for a bit then at least we went out with a high.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:46 pm

Yes what a night. Just what we all needed. Work still to do but we proved we have guts and a different style when required. Jerry well and truly outfoxed Havant. A hotribleClub so as Martin said a satisfying win all round.

Agree about James and Pope’s physicality good. Ball and Batten better as a tight 2.

Happy tonight!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:34 am

Jerry always scoffs at the idea of there needing to be a Plan B, but tonight there really was one. It may have been forced on us a bit by the pitch, but it was good to see that we can play a different way.

Have to agree with others about Lloyd James and Jason Pope, both of who I reckon had their best games for the club and Ryan Clarke was, well Ryan Clarke, although really it is unfair to single out individuals in such an all round team performance.

I would love to know what the Havant manager said to the referee at half time. I didn’t think he did too badly in the first half, but totally lost the plot in the second. Don’t see how he could give the penalty when the ball was virtually out of play on the other side of the goal before there was any contact, but justice was done.

Having got our mojo back it will be disappointing if this proves to be the last game for a while.

LB

pete mac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:15 am

I see from my paper that all National League Clubs are due to discuss the Dept for Media & Sport decision about Loans Vs Grants Vs Furlough tomorrow.

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:45 am

tovid wrote: and lloyd james was terrific in midfield commanding the younger lads around him who responded admirably.

I haven't been impressed with Lloyd James since he joined the club, but agree he was excellent last night. Just the sort of player we needed.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:04 pm

Apart from the football itself I thought our streaming coverage was excellent. Having been outside this morning in somewhat blustery conditions you have to give respect to our volunteer broadcasters who enable all of us to watch from a warm room whilst enjoying a beer!

( I did have a bit of a panic in 2nd half when I lost the laptop to TV link but this was due to the cat walking across the laptop keys and putting it into Flight Mode!)

The other aspect at watching from home is you are unable to have an awareness of the impact that weather conditions are having on the actual game. It was clear the pitch was heavy but difficult to judge how wind and rain affected the match.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:18 pm

It rained a lot but I don't think it affected the game it wasn't blustery at all. The pitch is actually in decent nick but it was soft in a lot of areas. However if games do continue it us likely to deteriorate further over the coming weeks.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down