Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Next 6 Months?

+25
the demon headmaster
BenE
Twerton Parker
pete mac
2weirdtown
Notters
miker
comrade powell
Midsomer-steve
Ashley
Manchester Romans
Midsomer-chris
yuffie
Peter Newman
stillmanjunior
tovid
OliverH
Roy D Hacksaw
SteveBradley
Luton Roman
LB
kermit
Colin Voutt
City 'til we're relegated
Beau Nash
29 posters

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

The Next 6 Months? - Page 9 Empty Re: The Next 6 Months?

Post by tovid Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:03 pm

I admire calls for total lockdown. It is the only way to beat the virus and avoid mutations.
However this means absolutely everyone has to lock down - not only tescos workers and builders and take away owners and delivery drivers but policemen, nurses, doctors, firemen, armed forces everyone.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:19 pm

tovid wrote:I admire calls for total lockdown. It is the only way to beat the virus and avoid mutations.
However this means absolutely everyone has to lock down - not only tescos workers and builders and take away owners and delivery drivers but policemen, nurses, doctors, firemen, armed forces everyone.

Unfortunately lockdowns won't beat the virus - it would just slow down its spread (though that would be of huge importance in-itself, especially for the NHS - so I'm by no means suggesting we shouldn't have lockdowns). The same for mutations, which will happen anyway as a naturally occurring process. The positive (?) news though is that viruses tend to mutate into being more contagious but less deadly over time, as any virus that kills its host (especially if it does so relatively quickly) is just reducing its own ability to replicate/spread. This is what appears to be happening currently, with the new strains more contagious and putting more and a broader range of people into hospital, though with a lower percentage of them dying.

The only way to 'beat' the virus is for people to be vaccinated against it and/or to develop immunity. Nothing else will stop it popping back up and down again. Even with widespread immunisation, it'll probably still circulate anyway with occasional outbursts. Unfortunately we may be stuck with Coronavirus ongoing and having to manage rather than defeat it - much like the winter flu (which used to kill a lot more than it does nowadays).

But we digress Smile

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:33 pm

Concord, Havant and Slough are declining to play any more games.

As Midsomer-steve said "In my opinion, the ONLY sensible way forward is to TERMINATE the season forthwith."
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

the demon headmaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:42 pm

Apparently Havant are taking a 10 day ‘self isolation break on health and safety grounds’ - clearly losing those two games in a row was too much for them!

Clubs are clearly trying to force the league’s hand in getting the season suspended or cancelled - generally the teams at the top of the tables are very quiet.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:48 pm

Pretty humbling interview with Havant’s CEO and Paul Doswell...

https://youtu.be/V8ej0Nw87I8

Best wishes to all at Havant.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash, Midsomer-steve and the demon headmaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:10 pm

comrade powell wrote:Pretty humbling interview with Havant’s CEO and Paul Doswell...

Agreed - just watched it myself. I wonder whether the fact that one of their players from Tuesday has symptoms will have implications for us?

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:10 pm

I hope it isn't the player the Havant team bus left behind on Tuesday.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:53 pm

Very good point Les - but, hey, the NL board will have made up their minds to 'pull the plug' on the season by the weekend. Rolling Eyes
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:35 am

comrade powell wrote:Pretty humbling interview with Havant’s CEO and Paul Doswell...

Agreed, it's quite moving to watch. We need to terminate the season.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Parker Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:27 pm

OliverH wrote:

Agreed, it's quite moving to watch. We need to terminate the season.

I thought the line "We've been burying our heads in the sand for too long now" says it all.

Twerton Parker

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:45 pm

Not sure what happens in the end but the next two Saturdays represent some of longest trips. IF the season were to restart these, alongwith Tonbrdge, would leave us with some really long midweek trips.
I suppose the league might reorganise fixtures but not really confident this would be the case.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:43 am

It is not just this season that needs to be cancelled.

The experts are saying that coronavirus will be with us "possibly for ever" so with people continuing to be infected it is almost certain fixtures will be cancelled next season. Sad
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:02 pm

stretching the concept of 'expert' if they have only just realized that.
BenE
BenE

the demon headmaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:17 am

Beau Nash wrote:It is not just this season that needs to be cancelled.

The experts are saying that coronavirus will be with us "possibly for ever" so with people continuing to be infected it is almost certain fixtures will be cancelled next season.  Sad

It is self-evident that Covid-19 will be with us forever, as are all the other iterations of corona virus, but at the moment it is not wise to carry on, so the season should be cancelled and we regroup after the vaccine has been rolled out across the country and we'll see then how the land lies.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:12 am

Totally agree, Demon. What I don’t understand is why the NL haven’t put a stop to the top division matches. Presumably because there are no clubs like Concord refusing to play and the majority didn’t show a preference for option 3. So in effect the NL are turning a blind eye to the dangers highlighted by the experts and the show must go on whatever.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:05 am

They haven't stopped because of Covid. They have stopped because of the lack of money.
BenE
BenE

Midsomer-steve and pete mac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:09 am

Didn't listen to the whole thing but did they say they regret pushing so hard to get our league designated as elite status?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:06 pm

BenE wrote:They haven't stopped because of Covid. They have stopped because of the lack of money.

I think both reasons. Some have finally seen how dangerous it is to play matches with no testing taking place. It’s no surprise that PL clubs facing non league and lowly EFL clubs in the cups have paid for their opens to be tested.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:09 pm

BenE wrote:

Didn't listen to the whole thing but did they say they regret pushing so hard to get our league designated as elite status?

I don’t recall anything being said. And of course Havant weren’t the only pushers.

Meanwhile Dorking and Ebbsfleet arrange a friendly for Tuesday evening...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:40 pm

It’s mainly about the money. Teams can’t play on without income

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:58 pm

I wonder if the reason that the top division carried on playing is that the NL board don't want to upset the EFL and jeopardise the promotion/relegation arrangement? When there was the possibility of Macclesfield coming down (before they folded) I am sure the NL had to give assurances about the league restarting.

With the stance that the DCMS is currently taking it is hard to see how the funding can be resolved unless a third party is brought on board like the National Lottery was to fund the first £10m.  

If the league does pause for a longer period - even if only at our level - perhaps this might be the time to review the 'elite' issue and accept that it doesn't apply to NLS and NLN clubs.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:23 pm

I hope so. And could the decision to pause our level but not the one above be the start of a divide between the two? The simple solution would be to allow the elitists to form League 3 and our levels become the top of the non league pyramid. As we were in the good old days!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:24 pm

pete mac wrote:It’s mainly about the money. Teams can’t play on without income

And they can’t play on if the squad keeps on isolating.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Midsomer-steve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:12 pm

Interesting reading some of the articles in the Non League Paper and the views of some of the clubs. The focus is almost entirely on the funding issue rather than the Covid-19 issues.

Mark Ives, who is the acting general manager of the league is quoted as saying "Whilst we are a competition as an entirety, we are also a competition made up of two different step levels. Both of which are considered, quite correctly, as elite sport and our decision does not impact that elite status. We have analysed the wishes at the moment in time by the differing step levels".

I think it is starting to dawn on some of the teams in the higher division the implications for promotion to the EFL if the NL season does stop - the Notts County manager (they would have a vested interest in this) made the interesting comment that "...we are an extension of the EFL so if the EFL finishes the National League has to strive to finish too." 

Perhaps as Martin says, the time has come for the top division of the National League to become 'League 3' of the EFL.    

Meanwhile, Ollie Bayliss has made a 'Freedom of Information' request to the DCMS asking them to provide copies of all agendas, minutes, summaries of meetings and correspondence between them and the FA or NL on the funding issue between 1st August last year and today. Presumably if they didn't commit to grants they will be happy to produce it to prove this once and for all.

LB

Beau Nash and 2weirdtown like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:52 pm

So, it seems there is no immediate prospect of normality returning.  Is there a window of opportunity here to help secure the club's future by channelling all the money we're not spending at matches into the club by other means?
Back in the first lockdown, the funding initiative to ensure City's participation in the playoffs was a roaring success.
Maybe the club should do something similar to assist the way ahead for the next 6 months.  
I, like others I'm sure, have been buying 50/50s, programmes, live streaming and so on in addition to other donations.  But, perhaps a more focused central funding pot would draw in more widespread contributions?
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

LB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum