Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horsham (1)1 Bath City (1)2

+2
the demon headmaster
Kelston Koppite
6 posters

Go down

Horsham (1)1   Bath City (1)2 Empty Horsham (1)1 Bath City (1)2

Post by Kelston Koppite Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:14 pm

Bath City’s passage to the First Round Proper of the Buildbase FA Trophy was secured by a spectacular second half goal from the highly influential Sean Rigg. This 3rd Qualifying Round encounter at Culver Road Lancing, temporary home of Horsham, was a closely contested affair on a 3G surface with both sides producing some attractive passing football.

Horsham, who ply their trade in the Bostick South East Division, two steps below City, started the game brightly and immediately sought to put teenage goalkeeper Harvey Wiles-Richards under pressure, but the youngster settled any possible early nerves with a competent save from home skipper Will Hoare’s low shot in the opening minute.

Charlie Harris flashed a right wing free kick across the face of the Bath goal in the 4th minute with Joe Shelley just unable to apply a telling touch, but the visitors then began to gain control of the midfield area. Indeed, their possessional superiority was made to pay on 10 minutes following a corner from the left. Adam Mann and Rigg cleverly exchanged passes before the former drove a low cross into the box which was met by the sliding Jack Batten, who found the net via the inside of the near post with a powerful finish.

The Somerset side continued in the ascendancy and Ryan Brunt saw his 17th minute skidding effort held at the second attempt by home stopper Josh Pelling. However, Horsham always looked threatening on the break and showed the ability to stretch play when in possession. They had a golden opportunity to equalise in the 23rd minute when the speedy Tyrell Richardson-Brown broke through clear on goal, only for Wiles-Richards to produce an outstanding save to repel his shot, allowing his defenders to clear the danger.

The hosts only had to wait three more minutes to restore parity when the referee, Mr. Sunny Gill, awarded a free kick on the edge of the City area. The home players appealed in vain for a penalty kick, but the ‘man in black’ was adamant that the offence was outside the box. Undeterred, Harris stepped forward to curl his pinpoint free kick over the defensive wall and into the net off the inside of the post, giving Wiles-Richards no chance.

The visitors continued to enjoy the upper hand in midfield as they looked to regain their lead. Ross Stearn cut inside from the left on 35 minutes, but his shot was deflected over the crossbar off a defender’s leg. As the resulting corner was delivered into the box, Batten was wrestled to the ground directly in front of the referee, who was somehow unmoved by the Bath protests.

The Romans should have scored in the 38th minute when Rigg’s cross from the left picked out the unmarked Brunt at the far post, but the striker directed his header agonisingly wide of the target. Rigg then looped a volley just over the bar as half time approached.

Tom Smith replaced Frankie Artus ahead of the restart and the game continued much in the same pattern. Joe Raynes’ cross from the right drifted narrowly over the angle of post and crossbar, and Pelling was forced into a save by Smith’s 50th minute shot.

Horsham continued to push forward when they were able and had the ball in the City net on 57 minutes, but an offside flag had already been raised. Harris also tried his luck from outside the box, but his firmly struck shot flew wide of Wiles-Richards goal.

Deon Moore came on for Brunt in the 64th minute, and Rigg then forced another save from Pelling when shooting from 20 yards out. The midfielder was not to be denied and, on 68 minutes, he expertly controlled the ball in midfield before jinking his way inside from the left and finding the far corner of the net with an exquisite finish from the edge of the box.

Bath now pushed forward looking to drive home their advantage and Pelling was twice called into action to save low shots from Smith. However, Horsham found the energy to put pressure on the City defence and Harris saw his 78th minute shot deflected for a corner, which came to nothing.

Stearn shot straight at Pelling from 20 yards and then fired high and wide following a partially cleared corner in the 84th minute. Robbie Cundy headed just wide of the near post from a Rigg free kick.

Despite their late pressure, the hosts were unable to create any clear cut openings as the Bath rearguard remained resolute and well organised. There was a moment of controversy two minutes into stoppage time when the referee brought play back for a freekick on the edge of the box rather than allowing an advantage as Richardson-Brown burst into the area, resulting in lengthy protests from the hosts. In the event, the resulting delivery was cleared by the City defence and the full time whistle was sounded.

There is no doubt that City deserved their victory, having the greater share of possession and goal scoring opportunities, but Horsham played their full part in an entertaining match that certainly did not suggest a two division difference between the sides. Ultimately, it was a moment of true quality from Rigg that proved to be the deciding factor and Jerry Gill’s men will be relieved to come away from the West Sussex coast unscathed. All eyes will now be on the draw for the 1st Round on Monday lunchtime.

Horsham: Josh Pelling; Steve Metcalf (James McElligott 72), Harvey Sparks, Charlie Harris, Joe Shelley, Dylan Merchant, Jack Brivio, George Hayward, Rob O'Toole (Dean Lovegrove 72), Will Hoare (Joey Taylor 65), Tyrell Richardson-Brown. Subs not used: Lee Harding, Lewis Hyde.

Bath City: Harvey Wiles-Richards; Joe Raynes, Robbie Cundy, Jack Batten, Anthony Straker; Frankie Artus (Tom Smith 45), James Morton, Sean Rigg; Adam Mann, Ryan Brunt (Deon Moore 65), Ross Stearn. Subs not used: Jason Matthews, Mohammed Baghdadi.

Referee: Mr. Sunny Gill.

Attendance: 328.
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Horsham (1)1   Bath City (1)2 Empty Re: Horsham (1)1 Bath City (1)2

Post by the demon headmaster Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:39 pm

Excellent report KK. No injuries and no replay a welcome boost.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:10 am

City did very well to get past Horsham at the first attempt. Most fans I spoke to at ht agreed with me that they'd settle for a replay on Wednesday. (Yes, Colin, that's when it would have been played)

I thought Horsham were far stronger opponents than Banbury and Lewes. Their number 4, Harris, not only scored from an excellent free kick but often dominated the midfield. He should be playing at a higher level. And a great set of fans who created a good atmosphere both in the pub beforehand and during the match.

Just like those two cup wins, our attitude was spot on and we showed great resilience when Horsham threatened to get on top.

Let's hope this is the platform for a long run in the Trophy.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:29 am

comrade powell wrote:City did very well to get past Horsham at the first attempt. Most fans I spoke to at ht agreed with me that they'd settle for a replay on Wednesday. (Yes, Colin, that's when it would have been played)

I thought Horsham were far stronger opponents than Banbury and Lewes. Their number 4, Harris, not only scored from an excellent free kick but often dominated the midfield. He should be playing at a higher level. And a great set of fans who created a good atmosphere both in the pub beforehand and during the match.

Just like those two cup wins, our attitude was spot on and we showed great resilience when Horsham threatened to get on top.

Let's hope this is the platform for a long run in the Trophy.

Strange as it may seem I did pick that one up.

I questioned being in Lancing last Saturday!!!!

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by daven Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:35 am

Just like to say what a great coverage by the Bath City Internet Radio (BICR) team at last night's team and the interviews after. It is very much appreciated! (and no breaks in sound now with the new equipment)

daven

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:51 am

Thanks Dave - actually wasn’t new equipment, just used my laptop instead of t’other. If we could use that for home games I would, but already needed for PA.

For Concord we have a new laptop, mixer and effects mic so should pick up more crowd noise.

As for the game, I thought Horsham gave us more of a fright than some league teams this season. I don’t actually think we played too badly which is a credit to how they were, particularly with leading goalscorer missing. A good game as well, enjoyed it from the best commentary position I’ve had for a while!
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:47 am

And another excellent match report here...

http://www.horsham-fc.co.uk/matches/2018-19/24244/bath-city/
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:10 pm

Their website even has yesterday's programme!

http://www.horsham-fc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Bath-City-25.11.18.pdf

Do read the excellent article by the two former Chronicle reporters.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:30 pm

I couldn't help but be impressed not only yesterday, but beforehand as well.

The website is excellent, puts most of the shoddy ones in our league to shame. The match reports are well-written and comprehensive, covering every angle.

The press facilities were better than almost all in our league, and the people couldn't do enough for us. Sure, it wasn't the amount of room we had at Woking and Torquay, but they made use of what they had. Instead of clubs like Truro, admittedly a different type of situation and much further than home, it feels like Horsham are saying 'right, it's not ideal playing here, but we'll make the most of it and see what happens.' And going by their programme (the article pointed out was really good) and website, they are fortunate to have some decent people behind the scenes who clearly work extremely hard. That said, could have done with a few of them not walking into shot during the interviews, but I'll forgive them!

All in all a good day.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:18 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:Thanks Dave - actually wasn’t new equipment, just used my laptop instead of t’other. If we could use that for home games I would, but already needed for PA.

For Concord we have a new laptop, mixer and effects mic so should pick up more crowd noise.

As for the game, I thought Horsham gave us more of a fright than some league teams this season. I don’t actually think we played too badly which is a credit to how they were, particularly with leading goalscorer missing. A good game as well, enjoyed it from the best commentary position I’ve had for a while!

Is this an endorsement for Twerton on plastic? Very Happy

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:25 am

As with the other good quality plastic pitches we have played on, I had forgotten about it within ten minutes. The only problem for a few minutes were the Torquayesque floodlights. I honestly thought the ref was going to take the players off at the start of the second half as the paltry lighting was clearly going to leave the middle of the pitch in darkness. Then suddenly an extra bulb on each pylon burst into life and we could see everything!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down