Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cup Fever WSM v Bath City

+20
davebart
turnstyle13
Jon_BOA
2weirdtown
Dusty Lynfield
pete mac
bonzo dog
SteveS
Ashley
Marcus Stevenus
stillmanjunior
Luton Roman
Colin Voutt
Steve Whites Missus
comrade powell
LB
Peteboa
Beau Nash
suffolkexile
tovid
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cup Fever WSM v Bath City Empty Cup Fever WSM v Bath City

Post by tovid Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:21 pm

Unfortunately can't be there today so will be listening to the lads on BCIR. Come on you stripes.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Cup Fever WSM v Bath City Empty Re: Cup Fever WSM v Bath City

Post by tovid Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:16 pm

Aaargh lost connection
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by suffolkexile Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Me too....

suffolkexile

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:42 pm

Back on and one down grrr
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:43 pm

BCir back on air now...latest score Weston 1 City 0 Sad
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Need to come out at a higher tempo next half
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Sad
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:41 pm

good to be back. Huge piece of crap though on the pitch.

WSM players clearly more up for it.

(Unfounded allegation against JG removed.)

Joke

Last edited by Admin on Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moderated by Admin)
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:06 am

Are we really all so disappointed that we have nothing to say?

I think it was only to be expected that Weston, as the home team, would have the early pressure, and it was important that we weathered the storm. We didn’t and when the goal came it wasn’t a total surprise nor where it came from. Most of Weston’s threat had come down the left where Efete was having a ‘mare and it was his mistake that let the Weston player through.

It would be wrong to single any one player out for criticism though, because I don’t think anyone came out of the game with any credit. Weston appeared much more up for it than us, and we never really had control of the ball at any time nor seemed to win the 50/50s.

It is true that Parnell made some crucial saves, but the disappointing thing is that we don’t appear to have developed a ‘plan B’ when our passing game doesn’t work. I had hoped that we had learnt something from the Welling defeat, but we don’t seem to have. We played a lot of passes in the second half but rarely hurt Weston and often ended up losing possession.

People were calling for us to use subs in the second half, but apart from Joe Raynes who could we bring on? As I understand it, although they were named on the bench, Watto, Sean Rigg and Dan Ball are all injured and wouldn’t have come on anyway. That left Amankwah, Rees and a goalkeeper.

It will be interesting to hear Jerry’s post match thoughts.

(I started writing this before Peteboa’s post)

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:17 am

I was a little under-whelmed by Jerry's pre match interview. He said he had prepared the team in the same way as for any other game.
This wasn't just another game it was effectively our cup final for the potential reward of a big game against a league side.
Weston got that, by the sound of it, and we didn't.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:46 am

I haven't heard the pre-match interview Tovid mentions. However everyone at the club knew the importance of yesterday's match and from the little I know the players were fully prepared. Unusually for a local match, the team travelled by coach with a 'pre-match' en route. That would surely instilled in the players how vital the match was.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:01 am

Squad seemed well prepared to me. Pre match warm up looked good and we were coming off the back of some good performances. Who could complain about that.
Although Weston worked their plan well, they were shocking as a team. We had limited sub options and I’m guessing the occasion got to the players.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:31 am

comrade powell wrote:Unusually for a local match, the team travelled by coach with a 'pre-match' en route. That would surely instilled in the players how vital the match was.
What is a 'pre-match?
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:Squad seemed well prepared to me. Pre match warm up looked good and we were coming off the back of some good performances. Who could complain about that.
Although Weston worked their plan well, they were shocking as a team. We had limited sub options and I’m guessing the occasion got to the players.

We seem to lack the mental strength that would enable us to play our game, against "weaker" opposition.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:01 pm

Didn't see that coming. Hurts more than Ferriby where there was a certain inevitability about the pens. As has been said, limited sub options wd seem reason for no plan B, but Weston seem to have done what Welling did. Fast start, put pressure on us, don't allow us to settle into the passing game. Another part of JG learning curve.

To not get in 1st Round Proper for now more than 7 years is lamentable. Banbury, Lewes and Weston not the hardest draws. Least last year we were in draw...for a couple of hours!

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:46 pm

tovid wrote:
comrade powell wrote:Unusually for a local match, the team travelled by coach with a 'pre-match' en route. That would surely instilled in the players how vital the match was.
What is a 'pre-match?

As I'm sure you're aware, the team and management normally travel by coach to away fixtures. This isn't just out of convenience, although it must be preferable to them driving long distances in their cars. I guess it's an opportunity for them to bond (sorry, I hate that word) together for a couple of hours rather than simply meeting up around 90 minutes before the match in the away changing room. It's also an opportunity for the management to discuss things ahead of the match with individuals.

Obviously yesterday's trip would have been far shorter than for the usual away trip and I understand there was a stop at a pre-booked place. Some players drove there to meet up, the idea being that the whole squad would arrive at Weston together and no one would be delayed on the motorway. I understand there was a small lunch together before leaving for the match.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:01 pm

The interview has now been uploaded.

I can't comment on the game as I wasn't there, instead I paid £20 to watch Bristol Rovers slug it out against Oxford United in a 0-0 draw. Michael Kelly played - now seen him play four times and three of them have ended goalless. Sigh.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Stevenus Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:31 pm

Have I missed something or have the laws changed on smoking and drinking alcohol in the stadium?

Various supporters openly drinking pints from plastic glasses from the bar on the terrace, as well as the sweet smell of those fruity vape things.

If it’s ok, why is it not allowed at Twerton?

Marcus Stevenus

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:51 pm

comrade powell wrote:
tovid wrote:
What is a 'pre-match?

As I'm sure you're aware, the team and management normally travel by coach to away fixtures. This isn't just out of convenience, although it must be preferable to them driving long distances in their cars. I guess it's an opportunity for them to bond (sorry, I hate that word) together for a couple of hours rather than simply meeting up around 90 minutes before the match in the away changing room. It's also an opportunity for the management to discuss things ahead of the match with individuals.

Obviously yesterday's trip would have been far shorter than for the usual away trip and I understand there was a stop at a pre-booked place. Some players drove there to meet up, the idea being that the whole squad would arrive at Weston together and no one would be delayed on the motorway. I understand there was a small lunch together before leaving for the match.  
Thanks for the info but it doesn't conflict with my earlier statement.

The team was prepared in a thoroughly professional way. 

But yesterday was about passion. Hunger. Desire. Call it what you will but that extra ingredient that gets teams up for a cup game.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:32 pm

Marcus Stevenus wrote:Have I missed something or have the laws changed on smoking and drinking alcohol in the stadium?

Various supporters openly drinking pints from plastic glasses from the bar on the terrace, as well as the sweet smell of those fruity vape things.

Not sure on the other points but re drinking in the ground yesterday, Rule 13(b) section 4 of the FA Cup Rules states:

"Glasses, glass bottles, or cans containing alcohol are not permitted outside of the Clubhouse and must not be brought into grounds. No alcohol is to be consumed in the ground or premises during the period of any match, except as may be governed by the terms of the club licence with regard to its own members, but, notwithstanding such, no alcohol is to be taken or consumed outside the licensed clubhouse or any other authorised area during such match period or brought into the ground."

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:16 pm

I said after the Welling game we have no plan B. McGregor had done his homework and WSM got at us from the start closing down our midfield who are all mainly creative and can't battle for the ball when they need to. This put more pressure on the defence who looked jittery. Efete and Straker looked poor having to defend which they are not so good at.

The main problem is that we don't have a midfield player with enough ball winning qualities when a team presses us hard in midfield. JG has to realise we can't play if we don't have the ball and at the moment the balance is not right with the midfield and full backs seeming to be selected on attacking and creative qualities. It works when teams stand off us a bit but more and more will work out how to play us as Welling and Weston have done.

I thought the support was great yesterday. Was it true that JG made a gesture to the fans at the end? I left before the end partly out of frustration and partly due to the fact that I had a train to catch and time was a bit short due to the game being delayed for 10 -15 minutes so I was not there at the end. If JG did make a gesture this is very poor, even given in that in the heat of the moment he would be upset at the way the game had gone, and in my view this should be taken up with him by the supporters liaison Director.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:56 pm

I think there is a plan B. Lump it up direct to Brunt. 

This is particularly effective at the start of a game when it puts the opposition defence under immediate pressure.

But when you are losing and the opposition sit deep then you have to get it wide and put crosses in.

Either way it puts a lot of work on Brunt. Fortunately he has been excellent this season.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:26 pm

SteveS wrote: If JG did make a gesture this is very poor, even given in that in the heat of the moment he would be upset at the way the game had gone, and in my view this should be taken up with him by the supporters liaison Director.

Yes, Steve, I am following this up and also with some fans who are making these accusations against Jerry. It doesn't really help when some didn't actually witness what is said to have happened.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzo dog Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:29 am

LB wrote: Efete was having a ‘mare and it was his mistake that let the Weston player through.
Is he better than Raynes in that position? Personally I think not. Saturday he looked light weight and uninterested.
bonzo dog
bonzo dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:51 am

Marcus Stevenus wrote:Have I missed something or have the laws changed on smoking and drinking alcohol in the stadium?

I was unsure whether this was an actual rule or not so was guilty of taking my pint outside pre-match. Stood next to 'main' stand while players warmed up and enjoyed the sun and beer.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next