Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath City (3)4 Hungerford Town (0)1

+9
Marc Monitor
Dusty Lynfield
Steve Whites Missus
miker
Colin Voutt
pete mac
comrade powell
Luton Roman
Kelston Koppite
13 posters

Go down

Bath City (3)4  Hungerford Town (0)1 Empty Bath City (3)4 Hungerford Town (0)1

Post by Kelston Koppite Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Bath City blew away the challenge of Hungerford Town at Twerton Park this afternoon, as they won by a margin of four goals to one. The margin of victory could well have been much greater but for the efforts of visiting goalkeeper Liam Driscoll, who produced a number of outstanding saves, particularly after the break.

With the opening quarter of an hour being devoid of notable action, during which Hungerford had slightly the better of the midfield stalemate, there was no indication of the turmoil their defence would suffer for the remainder of the half. Indeed, the first shot at goal came from the boot of Richie Whittington on 17 minutes, but it was well wide of Ryan Clarke’s goal.

Thereafter, the hosts began to turn the screw, and Ross Stearn’s cross from the left in the 19th minute somehow failed to find a telling touch from a team-mate. At the other end, an in-swinging corner caught the top of Anthony Straker’s head inside a crowded six yard box, and the ball passed narrowly over his own crossbar.

City almost took the lead after 21 minutes when Andy Watkins cut in from the right flank and pulled the ball back onto the path of the onrushing Stearn, who was clattered by Driscoll forcing his shot to go wide of the target. The home faithful were waiting for the referee, Mr. Mark Howes, to award a ‘cast-iron’ penalty, but were left in total astonishment as the official pointed for a goal-kick to Town.

However, the hosts had to wait only three more minutes before their were in front. Ryan Brunt produced a good run down the right and his ball into the box eventually fell to Stearn, who appeared to be tripped from behind. This time, whilst the incident was far less clear cut, Mr. Howes pointed to the spot. Brunt stepped forward to despatch the ball into the top corner of the net from 12 yards with aplomb, leaving Driscoll clutching at thin air.

City were now playing with confidence and were in total control of proceedings, and it was no surprise when their advantage was double on the half hour mark. The excellent Adam Mann drove forward and slid a perfect pass into the path of Brunt, who curled the ball round the advancing Driscoll and into the bottom corner with a precise finish.

Hungerford were now reeling and their defence was breached once again after 36 minutes, when Mann’s thumping shot could only be beaten away by Driscoll. Watkins reacted quickly to pick the ball up on the right, and his cross was volleyed into the net from 10 yards by Straker. It was the skipper’s first goal for the club and was struck with venom.

The home side continued to dominate the game, and Straker’s cross in the 38th minute was glanced just over Driscoll’s crossbar by Brunt. This proved to be the striker’s last action as he was replaced by John Mills.

Clarke was forced into a sharp save two minutes before the break when Conor Lynch struck a firm shot from inside the City box, and substitute Mills had his low angled effort saved by Driscoll at the foot of his near post. The final action before the interval saw Romone Rose try his luck from 20 yards, but his shot was woefully high and wide of Clarke’s goal.

City came out of the traps quickly in the second half and added to their lead on 53 minutes. Sean Rigg’s powerful rising drive was deflected over Driscoll’s bar and, from the resulting corner, the lofty figure of Robbie Cundy planted his header into the net from 6 yards out.

Mann’s shot from outside the box was also deflected over the crossbar and, in the 57th minute, Joe Raynes’ cross from the right picked out the same player, whose effort from close range was repelled by Driscoll’s stunning reflex save.

With the home side now looking more relaxed, The Crusaders began to come more into the match and they managed to reduce the arrears on 65 minutes. Alex Fragata found space inside the City area forcing Clarke into a good block with his feet, only for Straker to be penalised for a foul as the ball ran loose. The referee once again pointed to the spot, from where Lynch confidently found the corner of the net.

Hungerford had the chance to add to their solitary goal three minutes later, but Marcus Johnson-Schuster fired his angled shot across the face of goal and away to the safety of a goal-kick.

Frankie Artus replaced Watkins on 74 minutes and Bath then began to reassert their superiority. Stearn produced a dangerous cross from the left that Mann was unable to direct on target, before the first real flashpoint of the game arrived. Artus was fouled by substitute Harvey Bradbury, and as he attempted to escape his clutches, the Crusader dramatically threw himself to the floor clutching his face. Mr. Howes showed the Cityman a yellow card and Bradbury then made a sudden, but predictable, return to full fitness.

Mann cut in from the right in the 85th minute and his effort from 25 yards drew another fine save from Driscoll, and one minute later Artus had his shot from inside the box blocked on the goal-line. Mann, who was a constant menace to the Town defence, found Stearn with a pinpoint cross-field ball which allowed the wide-man a clear run at goal, but Driscoll narrowed the angle and did well to block the eventual shot.

As the final whistle approached, Mills fought his way to the by-line and drilled the ball across the face of goal, where it was hurriedly hacked to safety by one of the overworked defenders.

This was a thoroughly convincing win for Jerry Gill’s men and Hungerford could not have complained if their ‘goals against’ column had been doubled. City posed a threat throughout and they were fully deserving of the ovation they received from the terraces at the end of the game. They will now be looking to consign their recent away woes to history when they make the trip to Oxford City’s Marsh Lane ground next Saturday.

Bath City: Ryan Clarke; Joe Raynes, Robbie Cundy, Jack Batten, Anthony Straker; James Morton, Sean Rigg, Adam Mann; Andy Watkins (Frankie Artus 74), Ryan Brunt (John Mills 38), Ross Stearn. Subs not used: Kevin Amankwaah, Matt Richards, Kieran Hodges.

Hungerford Town: Liam Driscoll; Marcus Johnson-Schuster, Matt Jones, Charlie Ten Grotenhuis (Tommy Ouldridge 75), Tarik Moore-Azille, James Rusby, Romone Rose, Alfy Whittingham (Alex Fragata HT), Conor Lynch (Harvey Bradbury 75), Richie Whittingham, Darren Foxley. Subs not used: Jokull Andresson, Daniel Bailey.

Ref: Mr. Mark Howes

Att: 689
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Bath City (3)4  Hungerford Town (0)1 Empty Re: Bath City (3)4 Hungerford Town (0)1

Post by Luton Roman Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Spot on Kelvin, and Adam Mann mom for me, very influential.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Bath City (3)4  Hungerford Town (0)1 Empty Re: Bath City (3)4 Hungerford Town (0)1

Post by comrade powell Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Excellent all-round team performance. And well done to their keeper who was offered very little protection but made some outstanding saves. Fortress Twerton?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:38 pm

Yes Adam Mann was all over the pitch. Great game from Manny

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:07 pm

The response to yesterday is deafening.

Perhaps it is because Hacksaw was not at the game.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:12 pm

The report from KK is so good (as usual) I suppose there is little more to say.
I am a little disappointed with the attendance (Bath rugby at home perhaps ).
I felt for John Mills. Having at last got a decent time on the field things didn't quite go for him.

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:17 pm

I hope it works out for Mills, but am wondering if he is the new Nat Jarvis.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelston Koppite Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:20 am

Steve Whites Missus wrote:I hope it works out for Mills, but am wondering if he is the new Nat Jarvis.

Just needs a goal to restore confidence, and then we will see.
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:03 pm

I think that’s a tad unfair comparing Mills to Jarvis at this stage of the season. Last season, Jarvis was first choice striker having the vast majority of the striker game-time in the squad, whereas Mills has only had a few minutes here and there in league games (until Saturday, when Jerry sensibly gave Mills a chance to get some game-time under his belt after we went 3-0 up early on).
From memory, Mills signed before Brunt. My pet theory (for which I have absolutely no evidence!) is that Jerry signed Mills with a view to him being our main striker (coming with a big reputation and other clubs after him, etc) and wasn’t expecting that Brunt would become available. Once Jerry found out about his availability and brought in Brunt, this left Mills out in the cold - must be difficult for Mills.
We seem so strong at home at the moment, I know you shouldn’t fix something when it ain’t broken, maybe we should try Mills and Brunt up front together at home (or even away....maybe solve our poorer away form out!). Can’t see Jerry doing it though.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Can't possibly comment on your pet theory (!) but I believe Brunt was injured leading to him being subbed.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:43 pm

That is the third time this season that Jerry has subbed Brunt after he has scored two goals. That suggests that, a, Jerry wants to rest him once he has done his bit (and/or see what Mills can do) and, b, Brunt is a professional enough player not to take umbrage at missing out on an arbitrary hat-trick having score two.

The only issue I had with Mills on Saturday was that he seemed to be offside a lot but I think that he will come good.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:53 pm

I'm sure there are several clubs looking at Brunt to see if he is fit enough and sharp enough to play at a higher level again. He's only 25, if he keeps scoring I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes in during the January window, so even more reason to get Mills off the mark. Feel for him, just not happening at the moment, runs too early or too late, ball doesn't fall right, needs one to go in off his a**e and all will be well with the world.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:33 pm

I think like a lot of City fans I would love to see Brunt and Mills playing together up front (could be the new Freegard/Randall!) but accept that Jerry prefers one up front.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Parker Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm

Is there a Somerset Cup game any time soon he could try it out at (albeit probably not against NLS strength opposition)?

Twerton Parker

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:23 pm

We play Bishops Lydeard next month. They beat Welton 20-0 at the weekend. Or at least the FA site thinks they did - they lost 3-0.

I think Ryan Brunt and John Mills have spent about 10-15 minutes on the pitch at the same time - nine or so at Torquay and a couple at the end of the Dulwich match. I can't see how you can leave out Brunt at the moment. Six goals in eight starts is something we've been crying out for, and I think Mills also plays better centrally. Even if he didn't, you're looking at dropping probably Mann or Stearn, which wouldn't be justified.

Can't really make comparisons to Nat Jarvis at this stage. By this upcoming weekend he'd scored five. If he goes on to do well at Chippenham it's just one of those things, some players don't fit in some teams, could be down to many reasons. I've seen worse forwards but he never struck me as someone who would be prolific. I'm sure I've said it before, it has worked in our favour before.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:32 pm

As Dusty says Brunt comes ahead of Mills in the pecking order because he has played, and is capable of playing, at a higher level. Mills is working his way up. As was Jarvis.

Jarvis should have derived confidence from the fact he was the last striker standing after the others were culled, but he didn't. Indeed, for us, he rarely looked like he even knew where the goal was. That he has started scoring for Chipnum is a mystery to me but shows how much confidence plays a part of the striker's skill set.

While Brunt is scoring Mills is not likely to get a proper look in because Brunt also brings others into play like Rigg and Mann. If he did get a better offer then it might take some time for Mills to find his feet for us at this level. He's not slow but I think he could be fitter for that extra sharpness you need to get the better of the defenders. And that will come easier with games played rather than training.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:10 pm

From Jim Rollo interview post Hungerford match:
“I took training Tuesday, Jerry [Gill, manager] went off and watched a couple of players.....”
…Interesting!
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down