Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Premier League academy teams to be added to EFL Trophy

5 posters

Go down

Premier League academy teams to be added to EFL Trophy Empty Premier League academy teams to be added to EFL Trophy

Post by Roman Mike Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:21 pm

This is an appalling idea cynically announced on eve of the Euros.
I hope it gets boycotted and the final is Watford reserves v Stoke reserves and nobody turns up.
It feels like the thin end of a wedge in which the EFL demonstrate yet more incompetence and pandering to Mammon and the PL
Summary: I do not like this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36503204
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Premier League academy teams to be added to EFL Trophy Empty Re: Premier League academy teams to be added to EFL Trophy

Post by comrade powell Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:44 pm

From the little I've seen on TV of academy football, these teams could be in for a bit of a reality check when facing lower league teams. It's all pass, pass, pass with physical contact just about outlawed.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Premier League academy teams to be added to EFL Trophy Empty Re: Premier League academy teams to be added to EFL Trophy

Post by BenE Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:11 pm

sounds like Italian football
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:52 pm

comrade powell wrote:From the little I've seen on TV of academy football, these teams could be in for a bit of a reality check when facing lower league teams. It's all pass, pass, pass with physical contact just about outlawed.

Don't forget that Swansea U-21s regularly beat us in friendlies.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:39 pm

A ridiculous decision that will demean that competition, and by extension English football in general.

It must be a real inconvenience to the mandarins running the English Football League to not have the big glamour teams in their ranks. Sure why not have some version of Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea etc in every one of the 4 senior leagues in England ? Put their Reserves in the Championship, the U19s in League 1 and the women's teams in League 2. Bingo.

Fair play to the 5 teams who came out to say they voted against it. Interesting to note the League's 2 fan-owned clubs were amongst them - no doubt more interested in what's right for football and their clubs long-term rather than more traditional Chairmen looking for a few quid extra in potential prize money, and gate money when playing the Man City kids team.

Down with this sort of thing.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:23 am

BenE wrote:sounds like Italian football

The source of the most impressive display so far in the Euros!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down