Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

still unbeaten

+9
Dave
stillmanjunior
yuffie
Ashley
SteveBradley
Bristol Mike
Beau Nash
Marc Monitor
BenE
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

still unbeaten - Page 2 Empty Re: still unbeaten

Post by SteveBradley Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:55 pm

BenE wrote:In these instances I wonder if the ref gives a booking and then indicates to the bench the offender is on borrowed time. Presumably McCootie was frustrated with his afternoon's work.

I don't buy the idea that clashes like this are accidental. If you run full pelt at someone you aren't going to be able to stop.

It's a tricky one. A player is entitled to go for/challenge for a ball. He could well have been faster then the keeper, in which case a collision wouldn't have happened - or could even have resulted in a potential penalty.

I'd hate to be a ref personally !

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelston Koppite Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:12 pm

As I said in my report;

Home keeper Luke Purnell advanced out of his area to clear a through ball, but was clattered by McCootie in a bone-crunching clash. The forward was committed to the tackle but was undoubtedly a trifle late, and Purnell required lengthy treatment before verbally venting his anger on his assailant. Whilst there was no obvious malice in the challenge, the Cityman was perhaps slightly fortunate that his punishment was only a yellow card, and he was substituted by Ben Adelsbury minutes later.

From my position on the 'terraces', I was looking straight across the pitch in line with the incident.  I still have no doubt that there was no malice in Nick McCootie's challenge, but he was late, and I would not have been at all surprised if he was shown a red card.  Having said that, I don't think that McCootie could have avoided contact with the keeper having made a fully committed attempt to get the ball at full tilt.

If McCootie had got to the ball first, then I think the keeper would have been walking (after he had finally managed to get up!)

Last edited by Kelston Koppite on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:58 pm

Yes I based my comments on your report. The question is - did the goalie rush into it as well? If he did then he is expecting a physical encounter and he can't grizzle when he comes off worst.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:04 pm

The McCootie substitution was, like the Artus one against Maidenhead, a sound management decision both players looked frustrated; BUT the Watkins one still baffles me. scratch
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelston Koppite Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:53 pm

BenE wrote:The question is - did the goalie rush into it as well? If he did then he is expecting a physical encounter and he can't grizzle when he comes off worst.

Yes he did, and no he can't. He did, however, get to the ball first and that, I suppose, is the issue.
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:58 pm

I would class McCootie as being a clumsy rather than malicious player. I remember the home game with Weston on NYD when he was extremely lucky to stay on the field after an awful late challenge long after the ball had gone on one of their players. As it goes Monday was his first booking of the season, I think he was already on the verge of a suspension when he joined us 11 months ago?

Also standard that from what I could hear on the radio, the City fans booed the Weston keeper after he had been fouled. Funny how minds work - what was his crime?!
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristol Mike Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:05 pm

His crime was mouthing off at mccootie and being restrained by the ref!

Bristol Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:20 pm

I think that McCootie probably fell foul (!) of this rule

reckless means that the player has acted with complete disregard to, or consequences for, his opponent: a player who plays in a reckless manner shall be cautioned.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:33 pm

I bet it hurt mind, McCootie is a big lad and he was travelling

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:22 pm

I remember (many years ago) playing footie as a teenager, an opposing defender gleefully ran straight into and then over me. No foul was given and I just got up and got on with things. McCootie would have been allowed to score by kicking the keeper into the net. Oh, those were the days. My, how things have changed.
( Yes, I may have exaggerated a little )

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:54 pm

Ah, yes. I well remember the two footed tackle that made me hit the deck so hard I was spitting blood once I got up. Ref did'nt even blow up for a free kick.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Yeah, sorry about that but you were fast, young and nutmegged me. You had it coming.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:44 pm

Yes, try telling these things to todays young footballers who play with beach balls rather than a sand filled pigs bladder like we did and they won't believe you. Mind you I must admit that I found heading was particularly painful.

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:14 pm

A sand filled pig's bladder? You were lucky. In my day, it was a cannonball that had been left outside all night to freeze[/four Yorkshiremen]
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:13 pm

So young Nick is a player of the old school then!
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:34 am

Looking at Dartford's results, losing only 1-0 to Ebbsfleet, metaphorically, they will be a litmus test for us.

We will have to be at our very best of last season to win today.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum