Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maidenhead United (0)0 Bath City (0)1

2 posters

Go down

Maidenhead United (0)0  Bath City (0)1 Empty Maidenhead United (0)0 Bath City (0)1

Post by Kelston Koppite Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Bath City ground out a dour victory at sunny York Road, home of Maidenhead United. The Somerset side were grateful for a goalkeeping error by Elvijs Putnins five minutes from time that presented substitute Josh Low with a gift wrapped winner.

Maidenhead started the brighter of the two sides in what proved to be an even first forty-five minutes. The first opening on four minutes fell to Daniel Brown who produced a wild volley that flew well wide of the target. Harry Pritchard was causing problems for City down the right flank, and Jason Mellor needed to be alert to hold his low shot from 20 yards out.

City gradually came more into the game and began to pose problems for the home defense, primarily through the pace and trickery of Andy Watkins. The striker’s persistence won the ball on the edge of the United area in the 18th minute, but his shot lacked the power to trouble Putnins.

A minute later, Chris Allen’s free-kick was blocked by the defensive wall, and Noah Keats effort from the rebound flew narrowly wide of the post. Maidenhead responded through a long range shot from Tyrell Miller-Rodney that Mellor did very well to push round the post at the expense of a corner.

City created the best opening of the half after 24 minutes when Dan Ball’s cross from the left picked out Dave Pratt in front of goal. The forward turned adeptly inside the six-yard box but was unable to make the desired contact with his shot, which allowed Putnins to make a fine save low down.

Harry Grant nodded wide from Pritchard’s cross in the 26th minute, but it was Bath who continued to look the more threatening going forward. Allen’s left wing corner found Phil Walsh beyond the far post, but the centre-half’s header was held under the crossbar by Putnins.

Jake Reid fired over the crossbar from the edge of the area on the half hour mark, and Walsh’s attempted pile-driver from distance proved well wide. The Magpies, however, had a good chance to take the lead six minutes before the break, when Miller-Rodney raced through on goal. Allen did extremely well to push him wide of goal, and he was unable to direct his eventual shot on target.

Ball latched on to a long cross-field pass, but was able only to shoot straight at Putnins. The final chance was created by Danny Green, scorer of four goals in his last outing, who weaved across the City penalty area only to fire his angled shot wide.

The Romans emerged after the break looking to exert some authority on the game, and should have gone in front in the 52nd minute. Reid broke away towards the home goal, but shot tamely against Putnins’ legs as the custodian raced quickly from his line. The rebound fell to Keats, but the keeper recovered in time to save his follow up effort.

Maidenhead’s Green made good ground towards the City goal, but his shot from 18 yards was wide of the near post.

Another long ball through the home defence allowed Watkins to run free, but he was foiled by Putnins, who was again quickly out to close him down. Walsh then headed over the crossbar from Allen’s corner kick.

The hosts began to gain the upper hand in terms of possession and territorial advantage, and City were forced to defend in numbers for long spells. Low came on for Reid in the 59th minute as Lee Howells attempted to stem the flow, but United continued to press forward without being able to carve out any clear-cut opportunities.

Adrian Clifton dragged his shot well wide of Mellor’s goal from outside the box, but Green came closer on 72 minutes. The wideman cleverly cut across the edge of the Bath area, and saw his shot pass narrowly outside the near post, much to Mellor’s relief.

Ross Stearn replaced Keats after 73 minutes, and the substitute tried his luck from distance with a shot that flew both high and wide.

Pratt made way for Scott Wilson with ten minutes remaining and, five minutes later, City made the breakthrough. Stearn sent in a steepling cross from the right that Putnins appeared to have covered with some ease. However, the keeper inexplicably allowed the ball to slip through his fingers, and the unmarked Low pounced to stab home from inside the six-yard box.

Maidenhead now threw caution to the wind and should have equalised three minutes later. A cross fell to Miller-Rodney inside the City box, but he completely sliced his shot and the chance was lost. The same player shot wide from 12 yards in the 90th minute and, despite six minutes of stoppage time, the visitors held out for victory without further undue alarm.

This was not a free flowing performance from City and, at times, they were grateful for Maidenhead’s wayward finishing. However, despite not being able to consistently find their rhythm, they defended stoutly throughout, and Mellor was not called into serious action other than his excellent save from Miller-Rodney midway through the first half. Ultimately, this was a very useful three points that keep alive City’s aspirations of reaching the play-offs.

MAIDENHEAD UNITED: Elvijs Putnins, Brett Longden, Leon Solomon, Daniel Brown, Mark Nisbet, Jacob Eskine, Danny Green, Adrian Clifton, Tyrell Miller-Rodney, Harry Grant, Harry Pritchard. Subs; Reece Tison-Lascaris, Lanre Azeez, Bobby Behzadi, Matt Ruby, Yannick Nlate.

BATH CITY: Jason Mellor, Sekani Simpson, Dan Ball, Andy Gallinagh, Phil Walsh, Joe Burnell, Noah Keats (Ross Stearn 73), Chris Allen, Dave Pratt (Scott Wilson 80), Andy Watkins, Jake Reid (Josh Low 59). Subs not used, Adam Connolly, Dan Bowman.

Referee: Ashvin Degnarain (London)

Att : 351
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Posts : 269
Join date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

Maidenhead United (0)0  Bath City (0)1 Empty Re: Maidenhead United (0)0 Bath City (0)1

Post by the demon headmaster Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:30 pm

The City faithful must have contributed healthily to that 351 crowd. The game was very similar to last year's, with a narrow 1-0 win courtesy of a home team that simply couldn't get their shots on target. Thanks very much Maidenhead: I like playing you. I think 'dour' is a bit harsh KK. It wasn't as good as the Bromley game, but there was plenty to keep us interested, and the weather was glorious.

the demon headmaster

Posts : 419
Join date : 2014-02-25

Back to top Go down

Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum