Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Keeper

+9
2weirdtown
Sir Ged Roddy
yuffie
Steve Whites Missus
Timbo_b-o-a
stillmanjunior
Roman Mike
Ashley
thomasmaxbaer
13 posters

Go down

New Keeper Empty New Keeper

Post by thomasmaxbaer Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:22 pm

We've signed Steve Phillips! Not much been said yet but apparently more details will be released later

thomasmaxbaer

Back to top Go down

New Keeper Empty Re: New Keeper

Post by Ashley Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:23 pm

Decent keeper with a long career behind him. He did beat me at cricket once though and hit a 6 off my bowling....

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:37 pm

He's 37
Jason Mellor must be feeling great
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:58 pm

He was helping coach Jason for some of last season I think.

37 as a goalkeeper isn't that old nowadays. He certainly has the experience - I've seen him play for both Bristol City and Rovers. He was a fan favourite for both and is a competent keeper. Obviously it's not a long-term solution but we could have done a lot worse. Hopefully spending a year playing at a very low level hasn't affected his standard.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbo_b-o-a Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:35 pm

Fun news! I like old goalies - seems like they're more likely to save pens too..
Timbo_b-o-a
Timbo_b-o-a

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:32 am

Pity we didn't keep Jason for competition and for Steve to continue coaching.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:59 am

Steve Whites Missus wrote:Pity we didn't keep Jason for competition and for Steve to continue coaching.

I agree but I guess it is a simple case of economics, we can't afford two keepers - although I don't imagine either would be amongst the team's highest earners.

I think it is a good signing, though. As Mark says, 37 isn't that old for a keeper and, based on his appearance for Shepton against us last season, he isn't afraid to tell players what he thinks so we should have that defensive leader that many have been crying out for.

Also, he appears to be a ready made keeper coach for U21/youth keepers which could mean someone like Josh Barrington developing to the stage where they can step up to the first team.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:46 am

I think Shilton was still playing for England when he was 40, and Paul Bastock, aged 45, who played one game on loan for City 27 years ago, has only just been released by SL St Neots, after a great career for our favourites Boston Utd, St Albans and others.

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:59 am

Reminds me of 'Porks' time with us. He was a shade overweight and thirtysomething but is fondly remembered by all for his sterling performances and, as a character.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:23 pm

2weirdtown wrote:Reminds me of 'Porks' time with us.  He was a shade overweight and thirtysomething but is fondly remembered by all for his sterling performances and, as a character.
A shade overweight..............how can you suggest such a thing Rolling Eyes
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:24 pm

yuffie wrote:

I agree but I guess it is a simple case of economics, we can't afford two keepers - although I don't imagine either would be amongst the team's highest earners.

As you know, I totally disagree with this policy regarding the most important position in the team. But out of interest, I wonder how many other clubs at this level go into the season with just the single keeper.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Nothing against Steve Phillips, and I am fairly sure he'll be a good signing, but releasing a 25 year old goalkeeper with potential (albeit with major flaws as well) for a 37 year old goalkeeper is a spectacular Britton/Howells type signing. Why go with youth (or flair, but that's another issue) when you can have an "experienced player"?! Smacks of the Josh Low signing which was a massive waste of time.

Also, as an aside and honestly hoping some can correct me, but given our standard back 4 contained Gallinagh, Walsh, Simmo and Ball surely those 4 are experienced enough! Ball is youngish (22?) but must be approaching 100 starts for us by now, if not 150?

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:11 pm

Whilst not disagreeing that the Josh Low signing didn't work out we've made three new signings so far, two wingers in their 20s and an experienced keeper. That suggests there isn't really a 'typical' Howells/Britton signing.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:37 am

Plus the idea he may continue to coach the younger keepers is attractive and makes sense.

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down