Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bristol End - Consistency?

+2
petebath
Roman Mike
6 posters

Go down

Bristol End - Consistency? Empty Bristol End - Consistency?

Post by Roman Mike Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:26 am

Why the inconsistency re. standing at the Bristol End to enjoy the best view in world football?
Why was it taped off on Saturday?

2011 City v Luton: 900 Luton fans - No tape - https://youtu.be/ktDbrOnbQc4?t=2m34s
Tuesday night v Farnborough:  No tape - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ZzgBees8k
Sat v North Ferriby (1st half): Tape - stewards try to encourage City fans to stand in front of tape - but don't know why they are doing it (I asked one)
Sat v North Ferriby (2nd half): Tape ignored - stewards allow NFU fans to stand where they like
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Bristol End - Consistency? Empty Re: Bristol End - Consistency?

Post by petebath Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:57 am

No idea, we always stand up by the wall with our kids so a bit concerned if there is a safety issue - Does anyone know the problem? the stewards had no idea

Would have been interesting if we had drawn Wrexham or Torquay and their masses of fans...
petebath
petebath

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:56 pm

Is this something to do with the 'Freeview' mob? I noticed there were a couple of police amongst them on Saturday. There was something giving off smoke on the ground below them about half way down the terrace. Might of been a cigarette end but fact I could see smoke from my seat in the stand near halfway line ..........
There were more than usual standing up there on Tuesday, causing me to remark to myself there was almost as many up there as inside.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:47 pm

I am not an official of the club so please don't take this as fact.

B.A.N.E.S. Council visit the ground from time to time in order to keep a check on Health and Safety issues etc.
They have voiced concern over some of the crash (crush) barriers at that end of the ground. That's the white iron things that you can lean against.
They have decided that they need angled supports, like the ones directly above those. Which I assume are okay in the eyes of the council inspectors.

If a large attendance is anticipated then the council expect the club to act in some way to bring in extra controls as to where people can stand , or not.
I guess what they are saying is that the larger the crowd the more chance there is of a large contingent gathering behind those particular barriers.
So the club would be in some trouble should there be a problem and injuries occur. AS THEY HAVE BEEN ADVISED ON THIS.
So the pretty tape that was strung along those barriers was to prevent people from standing behind them.
If the stewards could not explain this on Saturday (as a previous post has hinted) then clearly they should have had this explained to them.
I stand up against the top wall at every game and did know a little about the situation that came to a head on Saturday. But fully understand the confusion and bad feeling that was apparent with many fans who stand there for the other 9 months of the season.
What added  to the confusion was when after about 15 minutes it was decided we could then stand the other side of the ribbon. Allowing us to lean forward against the WEAK barriers.
I think emotions were running high anyway.

Maybe strengthen the barriers.

I am not aware of our former Chairperson (Councillor) having any input on this.
But of course I may be wrong on all of it.

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:19 pm

I wonder why they might think that? They were considered good enough when installed. WHat about all the others? I just wonder if its a scientific conclusion (testing, checking corrosion etc) or whether they just intuitively think they should have angled supports?

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:23 pm

This could be a benefit of a community owned club - things like this would have the facts made known to many more people, and someone may be able to arrange a solution, say, or even a qualified rebuttal in we all knew the behind the scenes stuff. Actually, time permitting of course there is no reason this can't happen now (unless its confidential etc).

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:11 pm

Let's not get too carried away. By his own admission, Sasha may not be right
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down