Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st leg - the inquest

+27
Colin Voutt
turnstyle13
stillmanjunior
SteveS
SteveBradley
the demon headmaster
London Calling
Dusty Lynfield
LB
Luton Roman
OliverH
Twerton Parker
Mcnulty
A36
Marc Monitor
Roman Mike
Ashley
bonzodog
2weirdtown
yuffie
Corstonian
Dodgycarpet
Eddie Hitler
kermit
BenE
Steve Whites Missus
comrade powell
31 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

1st leg - the inquest Empty 1st leg - the inquest

Post by comrade powell Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:30 pm

What a dramatic match that was. We looked down and out when their 2nd went in, but it was a great fightback and we finished well on top. They had us in their pocket before half time and I was pleased that things were changed, allowing McCootie to appear. He offered the physical presence we were so badly lacking up to then and it will be interesting to see if he starts next week. Talking of a physical presence, their centre forward certainly offered that - well done to Walsh for policing him pretty well and keeping his composure after that shocking challenge in front of the dug out. A stronger ref than today's is certainly needed for the 2nd game.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

1st leg - the inquest Empty Re: 1st leg - the inquest

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:35 pm

In certain defensive situations why can't we just hoof the ball out of the ground.
It's not going to be easy, but we still stand a very good chance in the second leg.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:42 pm

They are just the sort of side we traditionally struggle against so I am pleased with the way we went about it after going 2-0 down. They offered very little in the way of football but played the weak ref very well.

Artus can't possibly play as badly next week and Allen was completely ineffective.

I thought Watkins was head and shoulders above every other Bath player and was unlucky not to get MOM. Why does Stearn play wide left? He is so much more effective wide right.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:51 pm

Sounds like a great day. Still all to play for next week. C'mon The City.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:04 pm

Poor tactics first half easily quashed by NF. When we brought in a bit of width and strength up front we were much more competitive. A lesson for next week?
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:07 pm

The first goal was my fault - we went to grab a cup of tea from the teahut and of course while queuing they scored, right in line with where we were stood. Sorry everyone....I knew that would happen

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Corstonian Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:15 pm

I'd certainly be amazed if McCootie doesn't start the second leg. Their defence spent the entire first half in their comfort zone and we barely registered as an attacking force, but everything changed once he got into the game. I thought Ferriby were organised and determined but were allowed to impose themselves on the game far too much during the first hour - once we started putting them under pressure they looked no better than most of the Conference South opposition we face every week. Their centre forward is a real handful but Walsh came out on top in their personal battle, but otherwise I wasn't unduly impressed by their players. The two key points are that we didn't let ourselves down in front of a big crowd, and we still have a great chance of progressing to the final.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:19 pm

I think the game (and result) was much like I expected. Complete contrast of styles and after a bright start by City we got dragged down to their level. Until their goal I thought both sides (understandably) looked tense but after that they relaxed without every looking particularly like scoring again before HT.

Then when the second half started with Ferriby still on top and scored a 2nd it looked like being a long afternoon.

However, either side of that goal there were two big decisions by the referee, which I think he got both wrong. Firstly, the 'tackle' on Gallinagh by their giant no.9 Denton was a shocker and looked for all the world like a straight red. Whether this affected the ref's decision to award a very soft penalty for Pratty I don't know but, even though that set us on the way to the draw, I can't help thinking that overall we may be hard done by over the two-legs. Had Denton been sent off he'd have missed the 2nd leg (and not set up their 2nd goal today) which would have removed their only apparent tactic.

That aside, from then on we battered them and thoroughly deserved the equaliser, a stunning strike from McCootie. It would have been nice to grab a winner but given that we looked dead and buried after an hour I think everyone connected at City would have taken a draw. It will no doubt be another stressful afternoon next week but who really thought it would be anything different.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:21 pm

McCooties goal will look great on TV - Points West Monday.  Ferriby have a league match on Tuesday.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Officials were weak. Should have had a pen in the first half. Got it wrong on the pen he gave. Super Mc was brilliant when he came on. Stearn on a little earlier next time.

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:32 pm

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:38 pm

That reporter must have seen some ferocious shots in his time if he thought that was a lob!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:40 pm

Penalty was a case of blatant obstruction in my eyes and correctly given.  Defender played the man not the ball.  If defenders can get away with that then we may as well watch rugby instead.
I thought Ferriby offered little up front.  How many saves did Mellor have to make?
Always thought we'd score at some point as we usually do.  Add our never say die attitude and fact that we always have options on the bench then I'm optimistic about next week.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:41 pm

Oh, and only two stunning saves from their keeper prevented City winning.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:41 pm

their left winger had the better of simmo a few times including the first goal. He was quite a handful.
I also would dispute the decsription in the chronic of it as a soft or dubious penalty - from the popular side level with the penalty area it was a clear push - one of several, and one of the few to get punished.
What seemed like it would be a really decisive moment was McCootie's miss when through - he delayed too long. However I am sure thats why he shot (and scored) the second time - he knew he held off too long the first time and this time he went for it at just the right second - and how he hit it so hard and got it to dip like that (again we had a perfect view) was sheer "class".

Well done City - well done. Hardly any moaning from the terraces around me!

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:47 pm

I couldn't believe the dodgy decision in the first half when Watkins was brought down in the area while winning a corner... and we got neither!

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Can't deny it looked more of a penalty on the video.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:58 pm

2 defensive errors for their goals. Sometimes Row Z is the right option.
Ref was very lenient
Nothing to fear from the 2nd leg. It will prey on their minds the way we ripped them apart for the last 30 mins.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:01 pm

After an inspiring first 10 minutes or so, the first half was pretty awful from us and I couldn't quite put a finger on what they were doing to make it so. I think it may have been nerves on our part. They didn't even put us under the aerial bombardment that Dover did and we were possibly expecting from them.

Their number 9 was a pain but that was more due to his size and us not knowing what to do with him rather than anything he actually did. Their number 11, Jason St Juste, was far more threatening and made Simmo look like a very old man at a couple of stages which you don't see often and, of course, scored their second goal. We are going to have to do something about him in the second leg.

I thought the penalty was soft but, you know, whatever. McCootie played his best game for us that I have seen him in not just because of the goal but because he was trying for everything. His thighs are heavily taped up so he obviously has issues there but he pulled out of very little today and, obviously, is finding some sort of form. Stearn looked sharp when he came on as well.

It is 0-0 going into the second leg and we haven't been beaten away in the Trophy so we just have to treat it like the Rovers match or whatever. It was never going to be a calm week whatever the result today so let's just treat it as a one-off away match, like Wealdstone or Rovers.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:01 pm

yuffie wrote:Had Denton been sent off he'd have missed the 2nd leg
How do you make that out? Surely any suspension resulting from today's game would have started on March 7th, well after the second leg. Also, next Saturday, as well as contending with Tom Denton, City may well have to contend with Ryan Kendall, who may be closer to fitness by then.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:19 pm

It's simple, play the ball on the deck and play wide men. Once we started doing it in the second half NFU couldn't cope.

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:24 pm

Agree their left winger was a good player, simmo is going to have nightmares over him. Referee and indeed the linesmen wouldn't have looked out of place at a Sunday league match.
I actually think their defender thought he'd get away with a barge in Pratt and took the gamble. Stupid penalty to give away but I thought it was probably one of they few decisions the ref got right.
Great fightback, walshy marshalled their big centre forward very well. I thought their back was pretty useful as well, won a lot of ball against pratty in the air.
We have a good chance still, mcCootie, I'd take the gamble on him, at times he looks like he could actually play at a higher level. Great crowd and fantastic atmosphere second half when we started playing to our strengths, don't want to get embroiled in a physical battle away but adelsbury is probably a better option than allen in this type of game, especially as I assume their pitch won't be great.
Artus and ball, two of our best players had average games and I am sure they will be better next week!

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Parker Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:30 pm

And what about Hemmings? I thought he was awesome today, seemingly getting better with every game.

Twerton Parker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:37 pm

Yes, Hemmings did excellently today but, like Simmo and Pratty, it is getting to be no surprise. Who woulda thunk that, at the start of the season?
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:38 pm

Big chas, thought he was average first half, aside from an incredible cross with the outside of his right foot which Pratt should have finished. I think he was let down a bit by his fellow midfielders work rate, he needs those alongside him to put in a shift to be most effective, he was pretty excellent again second half. Probably up there for our player of the year with dave Pratt.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum