Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Budget Booster

+3
City 'til we're relegated
2weirdtown
Luton Roman
7 posters

Go down

Budget Booster Empty Budget Booster

Post by Guest Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:52 pm

I feel compelled to kick start my City forum career with a post on our budget booster. How on earth can the club be asking more money after the sums given and raised through COVID and years gone by. We seem to have bent over backwards to retain our 22/23 squad, which finished mid table and never threatened the play offs and also take another Chippenham player by no doubt hugely increasing his wages. I think we have 13/14 players and now the club, in July, is asking for money!

I am presuming it’s Jerry who is managing the playing squad finances and if so, this is complete mismanagement by him in my view. He will move on one day and this club and whoever is in charge next will inherit the mess. I’ll be happy if we have a club to support at this rate of financial recklessness!

Back to top Go down

Budget Booster Empty Re: Budget Booster

Post by Luton Roman Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:13 pm

A_discreet_Roman wrote:I feel compelled to kick start my City forum career with a post on our budget booster. How on earth can the club be asking more money after the sums given and raised through COVID and years gone by. We seem to have bent over backwards to retain our 22/23 squad, which finished mid table and never threatened the play offs and also take another Chippenham player by no doubt hugely increasing his wages. I think we have 13/14 players and now the club, in July, is asking for money!

I am presuming it’s Jerry who is managing the playing squad finances and if so, this is complete mismanagement by him in my view. He will move on one day and this club and whoever is in charge next will inherit the mess.  I’ll be happy if we have a club to support at this rate of financial recklessness!

A lot of assumptions there. Most clubs have a budget booster plan. As a fan owned club with no big backer we have limited funds.  No doubt Paul Williams is all over the finances and gives Jerry the yes or no. Fans always seem to rally round when asked, but ultimately it is up to individuals how they support the club.

Luton Roman

comrade powell and 2weirdtown like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:27 pm

Glad the club are (re)launching this initiative. As in the previous post, we don't have a sugar daddy/mummy so it's down to the fans.
I am already paying in to the Player Fund and will chip in extra as and when.
Bath City FC are priceless compared with most clubs and I have so enjoyed being a supporter since the 1960s
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

daven likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:00 pm

I’m a firm believer that all clubs, particularly at our level, should cut their cloth accordingly and this just smacks of desperation after two really disappointing seasons on the field. We have a small group of ready to go senior players with little to no ‘assets’ that can be sold. To ask supporters to boost our budget with the money the players are paid is a big misread of the current times.

Of course some will and I’m sure the club is hoping some rich, bored person will Chuck in for a couple of players but I think we are in big trouble medium term and at this level promotion only increases costs. Hope I’m wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:01 pm

This (Budget booster) demonstrates the weakness of the community model. Of course we are not a community owned club. We are a limited company where the fans (the community) are the major shareholder, owning 51% of the shares (I think). The email said that as a community owned club they could only ask members for more money. Surely they could also ask the shareholders.

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:31 pm

City 'til we're relegated wrote:This (Budget booster) demonstrates the weakness of the community model. Of course we are not a community owned club. We are a limited company where the fans (the community) are the major shareholder, owning 51% of the shares (I think). The email said that as a community owned club they could only ask members for more money. Surely they could also ask the shareholders.

I have always been a bit confused about the 'crossover' between the community ownership and the limited company. I seem to recall that at the outset it was said that shareholders in the company would have their shares transferred over, but I am not aware of this happening (I may well have misunderstood what was said). There was an AGM of the limited company fairly recently (as required by Companies House), but this seemed to happen in isolation from the Society/community ownership - I am not aware of ever seeing the outcome of the meeting regarding votes/decisions taken etc. Presumably you are only privy to this if you attended (which I wasn't able to do).

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:19 pm

Les, I don’t recall anything about company shareholders being able to transfer their shares over.
As for the Club’s AGM, for some reason minutes are never available. Something the Society might push for.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:47 am

I always wonder who is entitled to attend the company AGM from the society.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:14 am

In my time at the Society we had one committee member representing its members and community shareholders at the meeting. Of course those on the committee who were also company shareholders were entitled to attend as well.

Last edited by comrade powell on Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:08 am

comrade powell wrote:In my time at the Society we had once committee member representing its members and community shareholders at the meeting. Of course those on the committee who were also company shareholders were entitled to attend as well.

As a separate shareholder I got notification of the AGM. Many names I recognise on the shareholders list would presumably have also got notification.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:03 pm

Unsure what you mean. Only company shareholders would receive the Club AGM notification. As a company shareholder the Society (and SC) receives this.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:51 pm

If the representative is voting on behalf of the society shouldn't the members know what the rep is voting for and how they vote?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:14 pm

Is it the community which is asking for the budget boost or the Football club?

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:39 pm

BenE wrote:If the representative is voting on behalf of the society shouldn't the members know what the rep is voting for and how they vote?

Good point! My recollection of recent AGM’s (except the last two which I didn’t attend) is that there was nothing to vote on except for rubber stamping the election of directors.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:36 pm

Over £10k already. Thank goodness the rich and the bored have turned up to supplement other supporters. We are inclusive, all are welcome to support how they wish.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:29 pm

The Budget Booster is being added to the pre-existing Player Fund. I would like to think the 10K raised so far is solely through the Budget Booster!
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:03 am

I doubt that very much. The Budget Booster is The Pledge 2.0 with standing orders etc from the latter simply transferred across unless instructed otherwise. I can’t find any programmes from last season but I’m sure they showed what the Pledge was raising if anyone can find out. Will be interesting to hear how much of the above £10k is new money.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:00 am

Concord programme showed pledge was £4600.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:39 pm

I wonder which player will be paid off with it this season 😁

Digger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: