Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

possible new (old) target

+6
Midsomer-steve
BenE
comrade powell
2weirdtown
Midsomer-chris
bristoldome
10 posters

Go down

possible new (old) target Empty possible new (old) target

Post by bristoldome Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:28 pm

Went to the Gloucestershire County Cup final this evening. Mangotsfield Utd v Bristol CityU21s. At half time I saw both Adie and Archie. This led me to believe a few things; a)They were on a scouting mission. b) If they  were scouting they will continue to be the management team for next season. c) That they might have been scouting for the  player which stood out for me - Josh Egan. He played on the right, could cross the ball, could tackle, could track back, scored a goal, set up a goal and just got on with the job in hand with no ego. With Stearn not featuring as much as some would like I couldn't help but wonder if he was their target. I could (and probably have) got this completely wrong but there is nothing like a bit of close season speculation! By the way Mangotsfield won 3-0 and retained the cup.

bristoldome

Back to top Go down

possible new (old) target Empty Re: possible new (old) target

Post by Midsomer-chris Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:05 pm

If I was going to speculate I would guess that they were going to watch the team that they were both going to be managing next year . . . . . possibly Mangotsfield . . . . .
or is that just called "wishful thinking" ?

Josh Egan played for us once before and I would not be sad to see him back, but not to replace Stearn.
Midsomer-chris
Midsomer-chris

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:09 pm

I think bristoldome has made an interesting post.
It's not time for the 'silly season' just yet.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:39 pm

Midsomer-chris wrote:If I was going to speculate I would guess that they were going to watch the team that they were both going to be managing next year . . . . . possibly  Mangotsfield . . . . .
or is that just called "wishful thinking" ?

Although I can understand (but not agree with) supporters being frustrated that Stearn has not been an ever present, what other reasons have you got for your dislike of the management duo? I'm not trolling, just genuinely interested.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:42 pm

Has Josh grown at all because previously Adie said he was too small?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Martin - I know your question is not directed at me, but as I am also one of the many many fans who feel that the current incumbants cannot take us to the next level, let alone provide us with sufficient entertainment within that target, I will just say this (as my more general criticisms are very well known to you): Lack of man-management - I abhored the way that Charlie was 'shown the door', and I was totally disgusted at the way Mark P was 'dealt with' (and the subsequent comment that Briton allegedly said "thats football"). For this reason alone I want them replaced.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:53 pm

yes, i agree, both players' exits left a bad taste in my mouth as well. however, we are probably not aware of all of the facts, which makes it all the more strange that there was no 'meet the manager' evening this season - a PR blunder by the club in my opinion. there are other things which i would also like to change - for example, you won't read me celebrating on here if there are any summer signings of players 'the wrong side of 30'!

nevertheless, i think the positives of our management duo greatly outweigh the negatives. i think the football has been more entertaining overall this season and as i've mentioned elsewhere, i think lots needs to be done behind the scenes before we can even contemplate climbing to the next level. for this level, i doubt if we could attract better than these 2.

i await chris's response to my question when she returns from the chalk face!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by bristoldome Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:30 pm

No way will they be managing mangotsfield. Mickey Bell has just joined the coaching staff. This wouldnt have happened if changes were due. Josh is still short but is stocky and didnt shirk any tackles. Clearly in the conf south we need big strong players but short wingers can be an advantage with a low centre of gravity easily able to go past taller defenders who are slower at turning. Anyway im probably barking up the wrong tree completely!

bristoldome

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:49 pm

Josh came to us on the strength of the Dave Palmer fund, I believe. I think he made one start and a couple of sub appearances towards the end of a dismal year in Conference National. I didn't think then that he had a future at the higher level due to his stature. He may be very skilful but I would prefer to keep Ross Stearn as he has proved more effective in a City shirt. As far as the management goes I have been impressed with this year's effort and quality. We have played really well in many of the matches I have seen. That can't be an accident so I will give them the benefit of the doubt over some misgivings about their temperament and dealings with the media. Although in truth it's only Archie that gives me the heebee geebees.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Thu May 01, 2014 1:18 am

comrade powell wrote:yes, i agree, both players' exits left a bad taste in my mouth as well. however, we are probably not aware of all of the facts, which makes it all the more strange that there was no 'meet the manager' evening this season - a PR blunder by the club in my opinion. there are other things which i would also like to change - for example, you won't read me celebrating on here if there are any summer signings of players 'the wrong side of 30'!

nevertheless, i think the positives of our management duo greatly outweigh the negatives. i think the football has been more entertaining overall this season and as i've mentioned elsewhere, i think lots needs to be done behind the scenes before we can even contemplate climbing to the next level. for this level, i doubt if we could attract better than these 2.

I disagree that the positives of our current management outweigh the negatives, as explained in my earlier posting. In my opinion there have been numerous matches when rather strange team selections have been made, which added fuel to the fire surrounding the question of whether we went all out for a top five finish - speculation about this has constantly resounded around the ground, and in post match pub and club gatherings. Yes, we were really good whenever we started with arguably our best team, but this did not happen often enough, and the fans were left shaking their heads in bewilderment. People used to approach team management after a match and were often satisfied with their frank and honest answers - this opportunity rarely crops up these days (not that Howells would likely enter into such a conversation with his alleged attitude problem towards fans!). My concerns also include their rather open admission of not being able to manage new raw talent very well (not just the Sterns of this world) - time and patience being just two of the virtues needed. In this time of austerity, when we would dearly love to lower the wage bill (by nurturing promising academy and development squad players through the ranks), we need the management skills to do this.

My dearest wish now is that we off-load a couple of our 'more senior' players and use their wages to pay for a better manager, like Laird?, leaving Britton to move permanently upstairs where he can concentrate on doing the things that he does best e.g. scouting, and contracts work. No, I don't think Howells will return to Mangotsfield either - I recollect their fans were moaning aloud about him when he was in charge of their team during a match against City!

You know I share your thoughts about the over 30's (and loanees). I think we have enough experienced players in their twenties that can share their abilities with the youngest ones (and they will probably relate to someone nearer their own age too).
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu May 01, 2014 9:00 am

Midsomer-steve wrote: In my opinion there have been numerous matches when rather strange team selections have been made, which added fuel to the fire surrounding the question of whether we went all out for a top five finish - speculation about this has constantly resounded around the ground, and in post match pub and club gatherings.

As I've said time and time again - if people really think this is the case, why go to the games? I can't work it out. As a player when you cross that white line you try and win games, not pick and choose thinking 'crikey, win this and we're a step closer to going up. Better not bother marking my man at set-pieces or track back'. This season seems to have proved that we have enough in us to beat the so called lesser teams (bar Tonbridge I believe we had an excellent record against those near the bottom, which is how it should be), but we couldn't compete with the likes of Eastleigh, which is little surprise. I don't think many others, who we could afford, could have helped us finish much higher than we were. Three points from the play-offs is hardly a disaster. Where did people expect us to finish at the start of the season? I went for 7th.

Is it really 'constantly resounding around the ground'? Do the likes of Legion speculate about it every game? In which case I'm glad I'm out the way in the press box.

As for Meet the Manager, do other clubs host these events regularly? Or were we just lucky that we managed to have one or two a season for a while? Even though Adie is approachable and was a good speaker at these evenings he's still criticised for his involvement. From a personal point of view unless we suddenly unveil Pep Guardiola as manager I wouldn't attend one again anyway, the last one I went to was the final straw. I personally haven't got the patience to sit through two hours of people asking why Ross Stearn didn't play last week.

I admire your tolerance in a way Steve. If I thought there was as much bad and wrong about the club as you've raised in the last few seasons (and at least you're pretty constructive) I'd spend my weekends elsewhere. And going by the prize draw the other week you're one of the first to buy a season ticket, so fair play to you.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu May 01, 2014 9:26 am

Mark - its no good saying why keep coming if you have criticisms of the way things are being done. That's not how it works - and luckily for Bath is the case in football - otherwise we would have no supporters at all.

We have ended the season well but there have been times when the football was pretty dire and as expected the crowds suffered. In my opinion - and I know this is not shared by all - our best two games at the end of the season when we scored 4 goals a game and completely dominated, providing entertainment in the process, was the two games Stearn started.

But apparently Archie in particular would prefer a scruffy two-one nailbiter. At least ten points were lost this season because of the conservative approach.

That's why fans scratch their head.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu May 01, 2014 11:18 am

I don't mean small things to be critical over. I'm sure everyone has something at the club they're not happy about. I can't stand my tyres being wrecked in the potholed car park for example. And I was quite vocal in the kit issue. Wasn't keen on some of the performances either but I'm a realist, I don't go to 50 games a season expecting all 50 to be action-packed from start to finish. For every Chelmsford there's a Dover.

But to say the team/management isn't trying to win matches is huge. This is accusing footballers of not trying and to me, despite how much time and effort I've put into supporting/helping this club, would stop me from going altogether.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu May 01, 2014 1:29 pm

I don't think anyone is accusing the players of not trying.

But sometimes player's best efforts are undermined by the set up (formation / personnel) of the team. The players have no control over that.

I believe that there has been a lack of enthusiasm to get promotion. I can't remember whether this is explicit in the Strategy Document but it was certainly made evident in the presentation of it.

But it has not stopped me going to matches. I don't expect every game to be a thriller either, but this season our perseverence has been rewarded with some excellent games.

Next season is the third season of the Three Year Plan. I am therefore more optimistic than I have been for some time.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by bristoldome Thu May 01, 2014 1:33 pm

Crikey. I only mentioned that I saw the management at a local game!!

bristoldome

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Fri May 02, 2014 2:46 am

A big thank you BenE for backing up my thoughts. I am certain that there are many other City regulars out there who share them. One particular point that you made I cannot stress more - We believe that the players always strive to give the game their best shot and it has only been the more strange management decisions that I have been concerned about.

And thank you Mark for your kinder comments. Yes, I have already renewed my season ticket(s) (unlike a few others recently) because I am hooked on the game, and on Bath City in particular because when we are good we are well worth watching - its a decent standard. I am ambitious for the Club and I want them to attain the highest level possible - League 2 perhaps - in my lifetime. I do agree with you to a certain extent about MTM evenings. Another one just could be worth attending though - it could not be worse than the one in which such arrogance was displayed by a certain person and in which so much hot air was exhaled from the chairperson at the time.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri May 02, 2014 8:41 am

To be fair to Archie - the first question he faced at that MTM asked him whether he was Adie Britton's puppet.

I think that got both his and Adie's back up and all other discussion after that was coloured by it, and I guess explains their reluctance to have another one.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri May 02, 2014 9:36 am

BenE wrote:To be fair to Archie - the first question he faced at that MTM asked him whether he was Adie Britton's puppet.

I think that got both his and Adie's back up and all other discussion after that was coloured by it, and I guess explains their reluctance to have another one.

I wasn't at that evening (and glad I wasn't if questions as rude as that were asked). What do people think they have a right to speak like that to them? Surely it could have been asked better.

I'm not going to lie, we have had more media friendly bosses than Arch in the past. In fact I think we've been quite lucky, particularly with the likes of John and Adie. But despite that Adie is still seen as some sort of devil ruining this club. Maybe I'm just naive, there could all be an undercover conspiracy somewhere and I'm oblivious to it all.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Fri May 02, 2014 12:05 pm

I'm not going to get deeply involved in this discussion as I have a simple - perhaps naïve - view that anyone connected to the club at any level is doing their best - even when it appears not there are likely to be so many things I am unaware of to start being critical of their actions.

The funniest thing regarding the Adie/Arch set up is when the former was manager a number of supporters claimed it was the latter who picked the team, tactics, etc. Now its that Arch is Adie's puppet. And it is probably much the same group.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri May 02, 2014 12:33 pm

Given some of the idiotic comments that the management team have to contend with, I'm not surprised Arch is a bit 'defensive'.
When he and Adie 'changed roles' it seemed to become some sort of myopic obsession with some about who was 'in charge', thus completely missing the obvious point that they are a management team
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri May 02, 2014 1:32 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
I'm not going to lie, we have had more media friendly bosses than Arch in the past. In fact I think we've been quite lucky, particularly with the likes of John and Adie. But despite that Adie is still seen as some sort of devil ruining this club.

If the club expect the management team to portray the club to the media, then I think Adie is best qualified to fulfill that role. And that's not a criticism of Lee. I dare say there are other management responsibilities he is better suited to than Adie. I also think the latter is the best person to answer supporters' questions - in fact, I think he does that task brilliantly.

As far as 'meet the manager evenings' are concerned, people will remember there was a time when they were organised and chaired by the SC (Bas was very good at such gatherings) - unfortunately the previous chair of the club preferred to do things her way and we subsequently had meetings which led to frustrations (I accept that may have been a coincidence). The SC recognise that this has been a very difficult season for the club, with the last 4 months spent trying to get back on track, so perhaps our calls for a supporters' evening were not well timed. However, we intend to approach the club about the possibility of one before the season starts in August - the new squad will be in place, fixtures known and hopefully there will be an air of great optimism around the place. Hopefully everyone will be able to look forward rather than harking back to issues such as why a certain player was not an ever present, costing us many points, while another was shown the door in a seemingly unprofessional way...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri May 02, 2014 11:00 pm

""Hopefully everyone will be able to look forward rather than harking back to issues such as why a certain player was not an ever present, costing us many points, while another was shown the door in a seemingly unprofessional way…"

I think that questions like that are relevant and should be able to be addressed in a mature professional manner. For instance, the Preece decision definitely cost us at least three points that could have got us unto the play-offs. I am not a huge critic of Britton/Howells, especially as they sorted out the style of play in the second part of the season, the Walsh signing and somehow getting us into a position where we could have been in the play-offs three match from the end of the season. However, I would like to know their thinking behind the Preece thing as the explanation was never that clear or good and it would be good if they said "Do you what? We buggered up there." I am not sure the Stearn situation needs explaining since the Chronicle interview.

The whole thing about MTM meetings is that they are with a club's supporters who want to see the team do well. Do one at the start of the season and supporters are going to be mostly talking positively and asking positive questions.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum