Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

End of season nominations

+13
bonzo dog
Dave
2weirdtown
Luton Roman
pete mac
Mark Tanner
Paul1978
kermit
stillmanjunior
Steve Whites Missus
Roy D Hacksaw
comrade powell
BenE
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

End of season nominations Empty End of season nominations

Post by BenE Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:38 pm

It has been quite an eventful season and we still have the Somerset Cup to look forward to, but it is not long before we have to think about which players have given the most this season.

Here are my nominations:
Most Unfit Player: Darren Jones
Unluckiest Player: Nat Jarvis (never in the right place at the right time)
Most Surprising Return: Marvin Morgan (who saw that coming) Twice.
Most Welcome Return: Ross Stearn
Player of the Season: Luke Southwood
Non Goal of the Season: Jack Compton v Hemel
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

End of season nominations Empty Re: End of season nominations

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:23 pm

Performance of the season - away to Chipp
Best performance by opponents - Chipp at TP
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:34 am

comrade powell wrote:Performance of the season - away to Chipp
Best performance by opponents - Chipp at TP

I concur!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:49 am

Best Sale of the Year: Gary Owers

Looking at Torquay's plight I'm glad we didn't do on a sale or return....

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:06 pm

Torquay have been in a mess for years. Kev just about kept their head above water, was obvious they were going to drop eventually, regardless of who was in charge.

I don't care either way how they get on as a club, but take no pleasure if Gary is associated with being the cause of it, which I'm sure he isn't. He wanted to move into full-time football and manage at a better level, and clearly believed he could halt the sinking ship. I was gutted he'd left, as I would be if Jerry moved on. But he was clearly made an offer he felt he couldn't refuse and decided, after a lot of thought, that he'd have to take it. As it happens, he'll probably be back at TP next season in the opposition dugout. Hope he isn't given a frosty reception but that's probably asking a bit.

In response to other nominations, I thought Weston's performance was up there as one of the best at Twerton (I didn't go to the away match). Neither team at the top, Havant or Dartford, particularly stood out.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Yes WSM have done a job on us twice. Hopefully we can rectify the imbalance in the Somerset cup. I am very much torn about attending.

Like a few others I have vowed not to attend the WSM ground again.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:33 pm

[quote="stillmanjunior"]Torquay have been in a mess for years. Kev just about kept their head above water, was obvious they were going to drop eventually, regardless of who was in charge.

I don't care either way how they get on as a club, but take no pleasure if Gary is associated with being the cause of it, which I'm sure he isn't. He wanted to move into full-time football and manage at a better level, and clearly believed he could halt the sinking ship. I was gutted he'd left, as I would be if Jerry moved on. But he was clearly made an offer he felt he couldn't refuse and decided, after a lot of thought, that he'd have to take it. As it happens, he'll probably be back at TP next season in the opposition dugout. Hope he isn't given a frosty reception but that's probably asking a bit much. [U/quote]
I was furious when he walked out the 1st time and went to Forest Gump, but of course he joined us as a player, not a manager, so I accepted his choice to go to a higher level to manage.
Because of that, I was very disappointed when he returned as manager, so when he walked out on us for a 2nd time he lost any respect I may have had for him.....sorry, but that is how I feel.
Therefore, I look forward to seeing him bring his basket case to Twerton next season, and I won't be giving him a warm welcome.
I will take even greater delight in passing them by if in the likely event they get relegated, and the unlikely event of us going up.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:35 am

Yes agree with Kermit. He left us twice now so deserves everything he gets. We gave him a second chance and he walks again.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:22 am

Couldn't agree more with Rob and Paul there - gutted when he left for the first time and very angry when he did it again this time!
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:09 pm

I was angry that he left. He wrecked a promising season by doing so. Hard to forgive.......

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:14 pm

Please don't turn this into a Gary Owers rant... my initial comment was based on the awards idea and that it was good business getting compensation for him from Torquay.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:15 pm

GO saw us a stepping stone, once is ok with me, but twice, come on, taking the pi**. Will he even remain as manager when they get relegated? unlikely.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:38 pm

Fighting a losing battle here, but nonetheless...

First time he left a Southern League club to join one in the Conference. Almost certainly more money, closer to where he lives, and (I think) full-time. Ok, at the time they weren't in a much better position than Torquay, and he had far less experience, but he wanted out of this division and saw this as a good opportunity. It didn't work out. But in his time in charge he left us in a good position, brought in some excellent players and we had a fantastic cup run. People were able to pick up on that.

11 years later he saved us from the drop, lifted us to 9th last season and, having signed a contract, obviously had the aim to take us further. But then someone came in, full-time, more money, so he wanted to give it a go. He wants full-time football, not part-time. Has he unwittingly used us as a stepping stone? Probably. But we need to remember he's not a Bath City fan. If Torquay offered me money to run their radio station etc I wouldn't do it. If I was still working at Wessex and another company offered me more money to do a similar job I would have left, I'm sure of it.

I have obvious bias - I interviewed him regularly and he was perfectly fair with me. So in that sense, words like 'never forgive him' because he's left favourite my Football Club twice are strong. He hasn't stolen my car or sent a virus to my laptop. It's football, managers and players come and go.

One interesting thing is, and happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, he's the only manager since Brian Godfrey to leave us immediately for another club. Maybe that's why some find it harder to forgive? Clubs like Southampton regularly lose players/managers when they think they can achieve more elsewhere. Gary obviously thought he'd turn it around at Torquay but it hasn't happened. Will they stick with him for next season? I'd be surprised, they seem to go through managers quite quickly. If it's the case I hope he does well in his next role.

Although admittedly, after all this, had he left us for another club in our division, Weston for example, I might not have been as kind.

As it turns out, we've got another decent manager in (despite some having already written him off for some bizarre reason) and with a pre-season behind him I'm sure we could progress further again. If so it could see offers coming in for Jerry and, presumably, we'd have the same discussion again.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:54 pm

I agree with Stillman. I wouldn't expect loyalty from a manager in the face of a better offer any more than I would from a player.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:22 pm

What Junior said. All of it.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Its a market so people are free to come and go but I think the Board invested in him, agreed a plan for success and he didn't see that through. Its fine though but I can't imagine that our Board would welcome him back - that would look like sheer carelessness. You contract with people to see a job through within reason.

The season was damaged by his departure - end of for me

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzo dog Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:45 pm

Back on track.
I'm going to give a shameless plug for my daughter Ceris, who plays for the Foundation Girls Saturday mornings and comes to the home games. She volunteered to come down on the painting day and was by far the youngest. Plus made it on Made In Bristol tv.
bonzo dog
bonzo dog

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Well done Ceris.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:40 pm

That’s excellent news. Hopefully there will be stacks of families on Saturday, too.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by sirkev Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Mind you GO's appointment over 2 years ago kept us in this division. He brought some quality loanees to the club when we were looking certs for relegation and we progressed again last season under him.

sirkev

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Addition to nomination:

Worst opponents - Hungerford Town.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:51 pm

They were poor but not as bad as Poole (or Wealdstone in the first half last week).
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:58 pm

At Twerton, Poole weren't much better than Hungerford, despite the scoreline. At Tatnam they had glimpses of good play but, yes, overall, they were poor. Hungerford had next to nothing. Three of their defenders looked well off the pace, no creativity, little threat.

That said, we played exceptionally well and should have easily won by 9 or 10, but I expected more fight from a side that mathematically can still go down, and managed by Herring, one of the more tenacious, occasionally overstepping the mark, opponents I've seen us come up against.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:27 pm

Had to keep checking that was Herring in the technical area. As subdued as his team.

Still, however weak the opponents, great to have another comfortable home win in front of a good crowd in lovely weather.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:11 am

Best Travel Agent -- Martin Brush

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down