Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v Concord

+15
Ashley
pete mac
Peteboa
RUDI GULITS
BenE
Elmore James
Bridgeyate
SteveS
davebart
Citylink
sirkev
kermit
comrade powell
Beau Nash
Luton Roman
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

City v Concord - Page 2 Empty Re: City v Concord

Post by pete mac Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:08 pm

We lost again.

Not hungry enough pete.

No real fight and no belief on that pitch. No leadership and no winners. Need real change quickly or we are playing at Yate again.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:17 pm

I thought we had more about us today but, at then of the day, we lost 1-0 at home and, outside of the 570ish people that were there today, that is the only thing that will count. I can guarantee that, with no rugby game, we will get the same even more on the 6th because all the people that saw today know that there were some fresh shoots of recovery. However, no-one new will be enticed as all they see is the result at the end of a grim, grim run.

Back to the game though, we were much more mobile today, playing the passing football that we can and do well at. I thought that McCootie was good in the first half and unlucky not to score but could have done with not being so diffident in front of a goal, taking an extra touch or passing when he should have shot as soon as he had sight of goal. It has to be said that that is all down to confidence which there has been precious little of. I thought that Watkins, Bowman, Coupe and Phillips did well. The latter is often overlooked but he was only beaten by a very very good free kick today.

On balance, while encouraging today, I have no idea how Jim will do. I am not sure how much of today was down to Adie - same old story - and, of course, we haven't got the result that you would, for one game at least, after a manager has been sacked and the change in circumstances, at least, bring a bit of invigoration. I suppose we are going to have to see how the possible managers pan out and how they compare to Jim's next few results.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:18 pm

Bridgeyate wrote:If we had played the team that finished today we may have got a result.Pratt has to be first choice not McCootie who adds nothing to this team .He is not up to this level.I cant count the number of missed opportunities today by mis kicking or bad control of the ball.Watkins and Bowman were great today ,as were most of the team  but we lack that cutting edge.Hope to see Eliot Richards start with  Pratt and Watkins as this was our best spell of the game.Overall encouraging, I feel just needs a new manager with different ideas and tactics.

Cannot disagree with anything you have put, especially your first three points.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:15 pm

We are running out of time. Need a new manager this week.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:37 pm

Sorry I don't agree Pete. We shouldn't rush into an appointment. If we had someone waiting in the wings it would be different but it is my impression the board had not been looking to replace Archie and so were unprepared. It will have to be someone who can work with these players. The loan system has not worked well for us this season at all. The board need to make sure it is the right man to keep us up.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:47 pm

I heard Owers and Laird were in the stand yesterday. Neither appeal. Owers has already been here. Laird will just play the same tricks he did at Weston, throw his toys out and threaten to leave until he gets his own way. We need a name, someone who can relight the imagination of the lost supporters again, someone who the players will look up to, someone who has decent contacts, someone who can get that striker in just because of who he is.

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm not sure where the money will be coming from to appoint this 'name' and rather think we will get what we can afford. I agree that there must be some urgency in bringing in a new boss - we could well be in the bottom three within a month and most of the players on view yesterday look to me like their confidence has been shot.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:48 pm

We don't have the luxury of time.

Clearly the Board won't just rush in and appoint anyone but they need to show urgency.

We can't go on for another 2 or 3 games like yesterday.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:11 pm

Have to agree with Pete and Comrade. We don't have luxury of time - as every game goes by we are slipping further into trouble. As for a 'name' where would the money come from? Is there someone who would put up some money?
Confidence / belief - very much the same thing. We don't believe we can score, at the moment we need to create something like 12 or 15 opportunities to possibly score one goal.
I believe we have a good middle of the road budget for this league, not the rock bottom that Mr Howells had tried to make out. I still say if Craig Laird is interested go and get him, the budget is likely to be bigger than he had at Weston. He knows this league and the local scene and can wheel and deal to bring in a few, but he will have to let some go to do this.
Adie has said he is going, I am sorry he cannot stay in some other role but in the circumstances it is best he is removed from the playing side asap i.e. before the next game. We need to get a new face in the dressing room.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:16 pm

Overall I don't think we did too badly yesterday (although I suppose after Truro and Maidstone anything would be an improvement) but as others have said it is worrying that we can't beat a team like Concord, especially one that started its time wasting tactics early in the first half.

I think some of the criticism of Nick McCootie is a bit harsh, but he does need to turn the chances he gets into goals. I thought Jack Batten looked very sound in defence alongside Matt Coupe, but the problem really still lies with the midfield. If I had a pound for every time Ashley Kington passed the ball to an opponent I could retire fully, and I really thought he should have gone off rather than Brad Williams, as I always think we are better when Williams plays. Don't get me started on Ben Adelsbury.

Disappointed that the aftermatch interview in the Chronicle was with Adie Britton - hardly gave the impression that things had changed, and would have been nice to have heard what Jim had to say. I did wonder perhaps whether the board might have given Jim the job to the end of the season while the Bid progressed, but his silence after yesterday makes me doubt this now.

Whoever comes in could certainly face a relegation battle. The game at Eastbourne is already a bit of a 'six-pointer' especially as they have two games in hand and a better goal difference than us, and February looks tricky with Truro and Sutton away in quick succession after the Whitehawk game.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:36 pm

I think a lot of this sense of urgency is because people have only just accepted the fact we are in a relegation battle. I said in November we were already in one and no one was listening. After yesterday we really are quite close to the relegation places and this provides focus. I have long been looking at the bottom and think we will need about 46 points. That is 17 more points.

We have 18 games left. That is five wins out of 18 and a couple of draws. I think this team is capable of getting those points and I was not disappointed yesterday as I saw a big improvement. But they do need to work harder in training. There is no reason why they wouldn't do that for Jimmer. They ought to think about that.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2