Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v Street

+19
Sir Ged Roddy
SASCHA
Roman Mike
sean
A36
Manchester Romans
Marc Monitor
yuffie
Jon_BOA
Ashley
Ian Jones
kermit
pete mac
BenE
stillmanjunior
Steve Whites Missus
2weirdtown
Colin Voutt
comrade powell
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

City v Street - Page 2 Empty Re: City v Street

Post by yuffie Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 am

I not convinced that playing it pre-season is a good idea. For a spell during the first half their were a few 'tasty' tackles by Street which were bad enough then, but if this happens pre-season - with harder pitches and less fit players - it seems that more injuries could occur.

That's before you get involved with how many subs you can field or registering players.

To me the competition is what it is. I enjoy the games as pressure free matches which give fringe and injured players a run out and if, like most supporters, you don't think much of the competition then don't bother going. I agree that extra-time serves no real purpose (except perhaps in the final) but apart from that can't really see anything needs changing.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:22 am

stillmanjunior wrote:.......and the only people who seemed to care were the gathering of Street kids who I think overdosed on Haribos Tangfastics before the game.

A great piece of football journalism.  Love it Laughing

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:42 am

Steve Whites Missus wrote:
stillmanjunior wrote:.......and the only people who seemed to care were the gathering of Street kids who I think overdosed on Haribos Tangfastics before the game.

A great piece of football journalism.  Love it Laughing

Stillman's Creative Writing course is obviously paying dividends!

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

City v Street - Page 2 Empty FCUM

Post by A36 Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:08 am

comrade powell wrote:The FA Cup is now seen by clubs solely as a way of making money. Well done to FCUM and their fans for telling BT what they thought of it last night.
It was amusing when FCUM eventually scored in injury time, to absolute silence on the TV, even though the commentator was saying how noisy they were, as BT Sport had already muted the crowd noise because they didn't like the anti-BT Sport chant that preceded it. However, I did note that FCUM's stance on preferring Saturday afternoons to midweek evenings did not extend to playing their league game against Nuneaton on Saturday, thus meaning the Nuneaton fans will now be travelling to Manchester on a Wednesday evening in December instead of a Saturday afternoon. By contrast, I don't suppose Boreham Wood or Northwich Victoria will be requesting postponement of their league fixtures this Saturday ahead of their FA Cup replay next Monday.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:41 am

yuffie wrote:To me the competition is what it is. I enjoy the games as pressure free matches which give fringe and injured players a run out and if, like most supporters, you don't think much of the competition then don't bother going. I agree that extra-time serves no real purpose (except perhaps in the final) but apart from that can't really see anything needs changing.

Yeah, I think I am probably agreeing with all of that really.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:59 pm

yuffie wrote:I not convinced that playing it pre-season is a good idea. For a spell during the first half their were a few 'tasty' tackles by Street which were bad enough then, but if this happens pre-season - with harder pitches and less fit players - it seems that more injuries could occur.

That's before you get involved with how many subs you can field or registering players.

To me the competition is what it is. I enjoy the games as pressure free matches which give fringe and injured players a run out and if, like most supporters, you don't think much of the competition then don't bother going. I agree that extra-time serves no real purpose (except perhaps in the final) but apart from that can't really see anything needs changing.

It's a fair point about injuries as a result of 'tasty' tackles, although they could be the outcome whenever the matches are played really. And I wonder if some of our pre-season league opponents have the same fear of our players!

Although I would agree that these 'pointless' matches can carry on as they invariably will as present (and most of us will vote with our feet), one thing which surely needs changing is the ruling that they must always take priority over league fixtures when there is a potential clash.

We can continue this debate in 12 months time! Very Happy
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by sean Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:08 pm

This will never happen, but The FA could add some more insentives. I believe I am right in thinking, most clubs in the country, certainly non-league, enter a county cup of some sort. Give the winner of the Somerset/Wiltshire/Merseyside/whatever cup a bye to a later qualifying round of the FA Cup/Trophy the following season.

If by winning the Somerset Cup this season, we entered the FA Cup in the 4QR next year, I am sure many clubs would take it a bit more seriously.

With regards to playing preseason, at a Meet The Manager evening a few years back, Adie and Archie mentioned they don't like playing at certain lower league grounds due to the hardness of the pitch in the summer. This is after our hyped-up, big signing, Ali Gibb, all but ended his season on Melksham's pitch in July. If we entered the Somerset Cup preseason, we wouldn't be able to pick and choose where we played and would risk going to a poor quality Western League pitch, and causing injuries before the season has even began.

sean

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:28 pm

It would be interesting to know what the FA think is the purpose of the Somerset Cup.

Presumably it is to promote goodwill within the county structure and a sense of identity. I would suggest it is failing when a 6th tier team finds it too much of an inconvenience.

I wonder also what level we would need to fall to before we felt it was worthwhile? Level 7?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:29 pm

BenE wrote:It was quite clearly treated like a training game by everyone associated with the club - including the announcer not thanking the away support, which was terrific.

I thought any more excitement would cause them to spontaneously combust. And because the rest of the crowd was about 100, I thought it'd result in a poor applause towards it, which would sound silly.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:35 pm

yuffie wrote:I enjoy the games as pressure free matches

That's probably the best bit about it. Said it before and I'll say it again - I genuinely don't mind if we win or lose in these games, which is why I was desperate for someone to compile the programme for it. Tannoy-wise I don't mind as I like doing anyway. I was more annoyed that we'd run out of Custard Creams in the flat than I was about losing to Street. Fortunately Morrisons had an offer on so even if I was disappointed I would have recovered within 10 minutes of full-time.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:18 pm

As an aside I think we suffer from the fact we are the second 'biggest' club in the competition and the final gets played at another non-league ground.

With all due respect to the likes of Street, Odd Down, etc these are never likely to draw out more then the diehard fans. We haven't played Yeovil in years (even though they seem to field ever weaker sides than we do) but even a weak Rovers or City side would generate a bit more interest.

Also, I am sure a few of these cups finals get played a local league grounds which at least is some incentive to reach the final.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:21 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
BenE wrote:It was quite clearly treated like a training game by everyone associated with the club - including the announcer not thanking the away support, which was terrific.

I thought any more excitement would cause them to spontaneously combust. And because the rest of the crowd was about 100, I thought it'd result in a poor applause towards it, which would sound silly.

I admit that the post-game celebrations would normally jar on me but I quite liked their support. A couple of their officials asked if I could get some photos of them as they club really appreciates them. And unlike many groups that age their support was all good natured and with no bad language* that I heard.

*I must be getting old!

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:27 pm

This game has now generated as many posts as some of the league matches.
I quite enjoyed the game for the same reason alluded to by a previous post - nice to watch a game for the sake of it with no pressure.
Very Happy
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:35 pm

Regarding a pre-season county cup, I'm sure I heard that one of our league rivals was involved.

Bristol City used to feature in the Somerset Cup - are they no longer affiliated?

Yes, having the final at a league ground might add interest. While Sean is correct that his excellent suggestion of winners being exempt to a later round of the FA Cup would never be adopted, they could be exempt from the following season's county cup...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:35 pm

The Somerset Cup is a symptom of the wider anachronistic concept that are County FA's. What is the point of a County FA in this day and age? You don't need local knowledge to govern football. I honestly don't know if any other country's FA is organised in this way. I can't think of any redeeming benefits - but I'm open to learning if others know better.
Expecting the FA to change a construct which is beyond their comprehension, never mind their ability to deliver, is fantastical (if that is a word).
So we are stuck with a vanity competition that serves nor real purpose for the clubs - except as a glorified training session, as described here - to self justify a pointless layer of unnecessary governance.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:36 pm

Well posted, that man! I suppose one of the purposes of a county FA is that they can hoover up cup final tickets as part of 'the FA family'...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:43 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:

Brilliant.  I made the point after 10 minutes that they needed to pace themselves.  They had no where to go when they scored.  They were already at fever pitch.  Not a great fan of drums so I was not disappointed when that stopped.  Quite liked the light show / song "Light up, if you like Cobblers...".  I hope they all got up in time for the school bus this morning.

https://flic.kr/p/zZKajd
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:47 pm

comrade powell wrote:Well posted, that man! I suppose one of the purposes of a county FA is that they can hoover up cup final tickets as part of 'the FA family'...

Quite. As an ex referee I did get exposed to that racket
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:30 pm

The point about a county FA is, quite simply, to administer the regional football from junior football - where it is necessary - to local non-league Saturday and Sunday teams, leagues and cup competitions along with all the attendant officials. Members of county FAs are, as far as I know, volunteers and, as such, if their work was passed up the line, it would either have to be done by national volunteers - unlikely, inefficient and unnecessary - or an expansion of paid positions to cover the work - very unlikely.

The Somerset Cup, like all county cups, is there to provide all regional teams with a knock-out competition on the assumption that they are quickly knocked out of or ineligible for the national competitions. Imagine if Rovers had stayed down for another couple of seasons, we were again drawn away to them and they just gave us the tie without playing it or the now pretty big Conference teams with league history voted to get rid of the Trophy.

As Yuffie has alluded, it is there, it is fairly clear what approach we are going to take to it and no-one is forcing anyone to go - hence the small crowd last night who seem to have enjoyed it to a certain extent and for different reasons.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:44 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:
The Somerset Cup, like all county cups, is there to provide all regional teams with a knock-out competition on the assumption that they are quickly knocked out of or ineligible for the national competitions.

Good point. And I would counter it with it's played at the wrong time with clubs involved in the FA Cup/Trophy/Vase in the Autumn months. If it can't be a pre-season affair, play it in the new year when nearly all are only involved in the leagues.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:57 pm

Looking for some fuel here
Were Britton and (or) Howells at the game ?

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:00 pm

yuffie wrote:As an aside I think we suffer from the fact we are the second 'biggest' club in the competition and the final gets played at another non-league ground.

With all due respect to the likes of Street, Odd Down, etc these are never likely to draw out more then the diehard fans. We haven't played Yeovil in years (even though they seem to field ever weaker sides than we do) but even a weak Rovers or City side would generate a bit more interest.

Also, I am sure a few of these cups finals get played a local league grounds which at least is some incentive to reach the final.

It's spelt Y**vil on here.

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:29 pm

basically then it is an anachronism from the days before the FA sold out to the premier league. It stays because the FA is never voluntarily going to consider re-organisation unless there is money in it.

If we must play in it then we must find a way to get something out of it.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:04 pm

SASCHA wrote:Looking for some fuel here
Were Britton and (or) Howells at the game ?

Adie was there but didn't see Arch, guess he could have watched Oxford against Havant.

Billy Clark and Che Wilson directed things from the dugout.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:01 pm

Thank you Mark, guess you knew where I was coming from with the question.

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next