Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath City (2)2 Chelmsford City (0)0

+4
Ian Jones
LB
comrade powell
Kelston Koppite
8 posters

Go down

Bath City (2)2  Chelmsford City (0)0 Empty Bath City (2)2 Chelmsford City (0)0

Post by Kelston Koppite Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:33 pm

Bath City returned to winning ways with a convincing victory over Chelmsford City at Twerton Park.  Goals from Ben Adelsbury and the returning Kaid Mohamed, both before the break, proved sufficient to give the home side their first three-point haul since 29th August.

Chelmsford began the game the more brightly, and the hosts were twice indebted to their keeper Steve Phillips for maintaining parity.  Firstly, the custodian made an excellent diving save to keep out a goal-bound shot from Matthew Whichelow, and then came off his line to block Jordan Brown’s effort with his legs after the forward had found himself clean through.  In between these escapes, Adelsbury dragged a shot tamely wide of the target from outside the box.

It was against the run of play, therefore, that the home side took the lead on 16 minutes in spectacular fashion.  A neat passing move ended with Mohamed laying the ball into Adelsbury’s path, and the midfielder took the ball in his stride before unleashing a stunning rising shot into the top corner of the net from 25 yards, with Clarets’ goalkeeper Christian Dibble unable to react.

Bath suddenly regained their lost confidence, and started to produce some neat football in all areas of the pitch, and Nick McCootie found space on the edge of the area in the 24th minute, only to punt the ball comfortably wide of Dibble’s post.

Despite the home side’s general ascendancy, Chelmsford always looked dangerous on the break with Whichelow causing particular problems going forward.  Bagasan Graham tried his luck from 20 yards on 32 minutes but Phillips collected without difficulty and, two minutes later, the keeper was called upon again to safely clutch Whichelow’s firm rising shot.

At the other end, McCootie did well to force his way into the Clarets’ box, but lifted his eventual effort high and wide.  The ever-willing Dave Pratt then won the ball by the right corner flag in the 36th minute and passed inside to McCootie, whose well-struck shot flew into Dibble’s midriff.  Chas Hemmings’ speculative attempt from distance just cleared the Chelmsford crossbar as Bath continued to threaten.

As half time approached, Mohamed exchanged passes with Ashley Kington and his angled shot was blocked round the near post by Dibble, but the goalkeeper was powerless to prevent the lead being doubled in stoppage time.  Kington’s corner from the right was helped on by Pratt, and Mohamed displayed good ball control before drilling his shot into the corner of the net from 6 yards.

The second period commenced with Chelmsford enjoying more possession, but this was mainly in midfield areas and they were unable to put the home defence under pressure.  Indeed, it was Bath who looked the more likely to increase the scoreline, if only on the break.  Hemmings weaved across the box on 47 minutes but could not direct his shot on goal and, 12 minutes later, Mohamed broke through the defence, only to be pushed wide by Marvin Ekpiteta and the chance was lost.

Mohamed’s pace was a constant threat to the visitors, and he raced away down the left flank in the 64th minute, with his eventual cross just eluding the onrushing McCootie.  Mohamed then saw his free kick from 20 yards well held by Dibble under his crossbar.

Pratt did extremely well to slip his marker out wide on the right and cut into the area, with Dibble producing an outstanding save at his near post to repel the striker’s ferocious angled shot.  Mohamed glanced his header wide from the resulting corner kick, and the Chelmsford gloveman made an awkward save from Kington’s low drive, gathering at the second attempt.  

The hosts were beginning to tire and Andy Watkins replaced McCootie on 72 minutes, with Chelmsford now pushing more numbers forward in search of a lifeline.  Rory McAuley headed over the bar from a corner and, eight minutes from time, Whichelow fired high over Phillips’ crossbar from 20 yards.

Brad Williams and Ashley Yeoman came on for Hemmings and Pratt respectively as The Romans ran down the clock, but the final opportunity fell to the Essex outfit in the 89th minute.  Substitute Hugo Skeplehorn sped down the left wing towards the byline, and forced Phillips into making another expert save at the foot of his near post in order to preserve his clean sheet.

The final whistle, sounded by the excellent Matthew Buonassisi, was greeted with joy and relief in equal measure by the home faithful as their team’s long wait for a National League South victory was brought to an end.  Although the win was certainly deserved and both goals were extremely well taken, Chelmsford had their full share of possession and Lee Howells’ men will be grateful for those two outstanding saves by Phillips before Adelsbury’s wonder strike.

Bath City: Steve Phillips, Dan Bowman, Andy Gallinagh (Capt), Matt Coupe, Dan Ball, Chas Hemmings (Brad Williams 84), Ashley Kington, Ben Adelsbury, Dave Pratt (Ashley Yeoman 85), Nick McCootie (Andy Watkins 72), Kaid Mohamed. Subs not used: Sekani Simpson, Miles John.

Chelmsford City: Christian Dibble, Robert Girdlestone, Aiden Palmer (Michael Thalassitis 63), Lee Sawyer (Mark Hughes 69), Marvin Ekpiteta, Rory McAuley (Capt), Luke Daley, Harry Morgan, Jordan Brown (Hugo Skeplehorn 63), Matthew Whichelow, Bagasan Graham. Subs not used: Mark Haines, Ben Marlow.

Referee: Mr. Matthew Buonassisi

Attendance: 478

Last edited by Kelston Koppite on Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Bath City (2)2  Chelmsford City (0)0 Empty Re: Bath City (2)2 Chelmsford City (0)0

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:54 pm

Pleased you mentioned the ref, who I agree was excellent. I don't think he's done one of our games for some time before today, but he usually impresses.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Bath City (2)2  Chelmsford City (0)0 Empty Re: Bath City (2)2 Chelmsford City (0)0

Post by Kelston Koppite Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:59 pm

comrade powell wrote:Pleased you mentioned the ref, who I agree was excellent. I don't think he's done one of our games for some time before today, but he usually impresses.  

Yes, he was the referee in the 4-4 draw at Eastleigh when he was known at Matthew McLaughlin, I believe.
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:02 pm

Kelston Koppite wrote:  Hemmings weaved across the box on 47 minutes

I wish I had been there to see that!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Jones Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:17 pm

Referee was very good today. Good to be able to say that after a game.

Ian Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:39 pm

He was certainly better than most we've had this season, although at the time, and my pictures back this up, he let their no.5 get away with pulling the shirt of any City player who went near him.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:16 pm

Enjoyed that, a good all round performance and deserved win which will hopefully boost confidence. Only down side was the poor attendance. Suppose r***y on the rec and telly was too much to compete with.

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:26 am

We can't blame rugby. We have been absolutely rubbish (and I am being kind there) for three home games in a row. I don't say this lightly as usually, whatever the results, I think that the football at this level and at Bath City in particular would and does surprise many newcomers. However, we have had an abjectly woeful October at Twerton. We were very lucky to get over 500 for the Sutton United game. Having said that, today was great and hopefully we will build on this.

I thought that the ref had a good game as well but we got a very easy free kick off Pratt at one point.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Bath City (2)2  Chelmsford City (0)0 Empty Smiley faces

Post by Twerton Park Magic Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:15 am

Walked round to get a cup of tea from Supporters Club tea-bar at half-time and it was great to see so many smiling faces at Twerton again.

I'm looking forward to the Oxford City game already.

Surprised and impressed that Mo lasted 90 minutes - he's clearly been keeping himself fit.

Thanks KK as ever for your excellent reports.

Twerton Park Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down