Who did we send down? What did we learn?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Who did we send down? What did we learn?

Post by SteveBradley on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:08 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:
2weirdtown wrote:
Marc Monitor wrote:Sorry, I meant to say that, of course, this is what the authorities - and the media - will say. However, this doesn't mean that these rules shouldn't be challenged. The safe standing one - that, luckily, we don't have to worry about yet - has this campaign and I note that Ipswich were calling for drinking pitchside in the Premiership

Standing is allowed at non-league without any problems.  This is in direct contrast to big grounds where it is perceived as some kind of problem and not allowed.

...in the UK.

The law banning standing in stadiums is applicable only in England and Wales, and only covers the top two divisions of the football pyramid. The SFA/SPL has enforced it voluntarily on clubs north of the border, and it doesn't exist at all in Northern Ireland.

It's a ridiculous piece of legislation which equates the quality of football being watched with the safety of standing whilst doing so, and presumes that standing is only a spectator safety issue whilst watching one type of sport. There's more info in this article I wrote about the issue for When Saturday Comes back in 2011 : http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/906-Grounds/8267-staying-on-your-feet

The rule banning the drinking of alcohol within view of the pitch at football stadiums above a certain level is similarly flawed and irrational.

If only Bath had an MP who was minded to campaign to change bad legislation like this.... Wink

SteveBradley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:40 pm

Ashley wrote:
comrade powell wrote:While it's ok at some grounds, it can lead to problems. Remember the yobs at Leatherhead a few years ago - that could have turned really nasty. And of course it did at Truro. But the worst I know of is just round the corner from where I live - I'm not the only one who won't set foot inside Frome's ground because of the drunken abuse visiting teams and officials receive. A quite horrible atmosphere.

Bridgwater was vile too - you had to walk past the bar to go to the loo and me and a few others received some disgusting abuse on the way past.

I don't believe we should use a few asbo clubs as a yardstick. If these clubs are not able to supervise their customers they are only heading the way of all those crappy pubs like the Jubilee and Beehive.

It's interesting that some have commented that the laws are preventing a change. Would the Board want things to change? Is it a case of 'that's the way it is and it'll never change' that just adds to the impression that a visit to TP is only good if you want a 1970s themed day out?
This is 2016 the internet age, in which the leisure pound rules and has an infinite and always changing variety of ways to be spent. Rules and regulations have been changed to allow the leisure industry to thrive. Surely it can't be that difficult for football clubs to join the present century?
2weirdtown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:39 pm

by golly this thread is making me thirsty.

Is it really about Bath City though or just alcohol consumption?
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Whilst I accept it may draw some extra supporters I think it only needs a handful of people to abuse it (as happens at the aforementioned clubs) and it could put off more than it attracts.

To my mind is not a case of 'that's the way it is and it'll never change', more 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Palms on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:22 pm

This has just reminded me of the classic scenes the last time I went to Lewes. Left the ground a bit later having packed up the camera, loads of half supped pints left on the steep terrace by the entrance, a few young kids running around egging eachother on to guzzle them down, beautiful.
Palms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:40 pm

the youth of today Rolling Eyes
Peteboa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown on Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:13 pm

Some interesting posts.  Consensus seem to be that alcohol and footie don't mix.  Or at least that any benefits are outweighed by the hassle.  Fair play.
2weirdtown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:23 pm

That may be the consensus on here but thousands of football supporters, football clubs and football authorities disagree with this.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH on Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Not sure it's the consensus on here, seemed about a 50:50 split!
OliverH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:40 am

Marc Monitor wrote:That may be the consensus on here but thousands of football supporters, football clubs and football authorities disagree with this.

but do these thousands stay away from Twerton because they can't drink in sight of the pitch?
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:20 pm

I know some that stay away until ten minutes after kick-off so that they can finish their pint Wink

Seriously though, as customers of a leisure activity, football supporters have to put up with so much as it is - events being cancelled with little notice (especially at Weston Super Mare), harsh weather conditions, often decrepit facilities, quite often disappointing results- and we do it as we have an unrivalled loyalty to the company, brand, whatever. Is it too much to ask that we are treated like other adult leisure consumers - let alone other sports fans - and let have a beer while watching the football?
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:59 pm

I'm with Yuffie on this one. I do worry about anyone who cannot go 45 minutes without a pint of beer.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:55 pm

Same here. I love a couple of pints before a match but that should be in the pub or clubhouse. Top flight cricket has been ruined by the beer soaked antics of a growing minority who show no consideration for others. Maybe the likes of Dulwich are able to get it right, but I'd need a lot of convincing.
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:20 am

It's not going 45 minutes without a beer so much as sitting or standing comfortably with a beer rather than a sugar soaked tooth decaying soft drink that you don't want.

It's freedom of choice.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:44 am

nice one - it's either beer or a soft drink. You're not allowed to have anything else. Personally I never drink water as fish p*ss in it.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:36 am

It's ok for you lot near the tea bar, the rest of us need to walk around the ground to get a fudge with our coffee.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:38 am

Sorry but the "can't go 45 without" argument really gets my goat - it works on the assumption that it's totally NORMAL for a sporting event to have this kind of restriction when in fact the football drinking ban is the result of very specific historical circumstances.

Cricket, rugby, even cinemas trust the punters to drink responsibly.
OliverH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:41 am

...and, of course, football below a certain arbitrary level.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber on Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:29 pm

Shouldn't think there are too many who want to stand outside drinking a pint on a freezing cold winters afternoon or evening.

Micawber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH on Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:31 pm

Have you ever been to the Rec??
OliverH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley on Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:44 pm

Even the people in hospitality at top level football games - the ones who have paid silly money for the privilege of watching - aren't allowed to have a drink within sight of the pitch. Even if it's the view from a dinner table through a double-glazed window.

At the Stadium of Light, for example, they draw a blind in the boxes at half-time so you can have a drink with your nibbles ! When the blinds are open, you're not allowed to stand up looking through the window at the game with an alcoholic drink in your hand.

It is without doubt a ridiculous law that needs changing.

SteveBradley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber on Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:10 pm

OliverH wrote:Have you ever been to the Rec??
Not recently. But i take your point that you would have to be half pissed to watch Bath Rugby team !

Micawber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:18 pm

I was at the Wembley last year for the Froch/Groves fight and was able to drink throughout the event. As you can imagine, a boxing crowd has the potential to be as rowdy as any football crowd.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy on Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:35 pm

Micawber wrote:
OliverH wrote:Have you ever been to the Rec??
Not recently. But i take your point that you would have to be half pissed to watch Bath Rugby team !
Laughing Razz

Sir Ged Roddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top